ports

Options
charelaine
charelaine Member Posts: 36
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Fir those of you who have a port, just out of curiousity, does it hurt when it is accessed when they use freeze-spray? I have only been accessed twice, and both times I had emla (sp?) cream. Just curious about whether I should take that with me. Thanks

Comments

• terril
    terril Member Posts: 296
    Options
    HI!
    My onc did not recommend the cream. He said it really does not help. By the way, what is this freeze spray? I haven't heard of it. Does it work? Do you have to get it with a script? Terri
  • JADot
    JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    The access pain is no worse than a mesquito bite - IMHO it's not worth messing with any drugs for it.

JADot
  • Allen55555
    Allen55555 Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a double port which is a little harded to access. It hurt when I was accessed. I used to hate the needle until they started to use the freeze spray. The spray is not a drug and no pain at all during access.
  • lfondots63
    lfondots63 Member Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Hi Charelaine,

My chemo nurse uses the spray too. It numbs it some so the access is just a pin prick. I never heard of the cream. I was accessed twice too and it only hurts when I bump it sometimes. If you need to know what the spray is called, I can contact my onc.

Take care.

Lisa
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    the freeze spray works..unless you have a sadistic nurse who wants to get back at you for that last smart remark..one or two squirts will do.. Bud
  • markatger
    markatger Member Posts: 314
    Options
    I've never heard of the freeze spray either. I get a lidocaine shot. Just a little sting...then I don't feel the access needle at all.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    nanuk said:

the freeze spray works..unless you have a sadistic nurse who wants to get back at you for that last smart remark..one or two squirts will do.. Bud

Love the thought...mine tried a different approach...kinked my line so I had to stay 2 hours longer....LOL
    Kathi
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    terril said:

HI!
    My onc did not recommend the cream. He said it really does not help. By the way, what is this freeze spray? I haven't heard of it. Does it work? Do you have to get it with a script? Terri

Terri, this is something they have at the infusion center. The nurse sprays right before inserting the needle. I always turn away...got spritzed in the face once. Also, when she puts the needle in, I take a deep breath and hold it...focus somewhere else, just a small pressure.
    Kathi
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    markatger said:

I've never heard of the freeze spray either. I get a lidocaine shot. Just a little sting...then I don't feel the access needle at all.

I had a shot of Lidocaine each time as well...I'm glad I had it.
  • goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Options
    I actually find the emla cream very effective. It has to be on for 2 hours or so before you're due to be accessed.
    My nurse has used the freeze spray when i've forgotten my cream, but I don't find that as effective.
    I've also been accessed with neither the cream or the spray. I have to admit, it's not too bad, but the emla cream makes it soo much better, that I continue to use it.
    Mary
  • Susanbm
    Susanbm Member Posts: 61
    Options
    I was given a prscription for lidocaine cream which I applied about an hour before my port was to be accessed. I never had any pain.