I got my second opinion

Well I got my second opinion. and i am going for surg. April 11th. they are starting with just taking out my uterus and cervic. when they biopsys the uterus and if it has cancer then it all comes out. They also want to do a panniculectomy. that is where they take my lower part of my stomach where my skin hangs cause of the weight gain and loss and gain. sort of like a tummy tuck. we shall see. I am scared out of my wits. I am more afraid of the pain i am going to be in then anything else. any help would be greatfull. thank you
Karen

Comments

• groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    I've had abdominal surgery twice-once to remove fibroid tumors on my uterus, and a total hysterectomy 10 years later, when I had a uterine cancer diagnosis.

I was really afraid before the first surgery-the only time I'd spent in a hospital was when I had my tonsils out when I was 5 years old! The surgery isn't too bad, and I'm sure your doctors and nurses will tell you what to expect.

Be sure to write down any questions you have, and use that list when you see your doctor. I found it too difficult to remember everything I wanted answers for, and it was much easier for me to pull out a list and ask them. It can be very intimidating to ask questions, but doctors and nurses would rather have you ask than to have fear about the unknown.

Don't be afraid to get up and walk as soon as you feel up to it. Someone at the hospital may ask you if you want a sort of supporter for your stomach-I didn't use one, but a male friend of mine who had intestinal surgery suggested I ask for one if I needed it.

Don't be afraid! Most hospital staff are doing everything to make sure patients aren't in pain, and would really like to prevent it ever starting.
  • kaiepooh
    kaiepooh Member Posts: 52

I've had abdominal surgery twice-once to remove fibroid tumors on my uterus, and a total hysterectomy 10 years later, when I had a uterine cancer diagnosis.

I was really afraid before the first surgery-the only time I'd spent in a hospital was when I had my tonsils out when I was 5 years old! The surgery isn't too bad, and I'm sure your doctors and nurses will tell you what to expect.

Be sure to write down any questions you have, and use that list when you see your doctor. I found it too difficult to remember everything I wanted answers for, and it was much easier for me to pull out a list and ask them. It can be very intimidating to ask questions, but doctors and nurses would rather have you ask than to have fear about the unknown.

Don't be afraid to get up and walk as soon as you feel up to it. Someone at the hospital may ask you if you want a sort of supporter for your stomach-I didn't use one, but a male friend of mine who had intestinal surgery suggested I ask for one if I needed it.

Don't be afraid! Most hospital staff are doing everything to make sure patients aren't in pain, and would really like to prevent it ever starting.

Thank you for your support and advice. I did have the sheet. i remembered from my husband. i will have a tummy binder. they say it helps. also getting a tummy tuck so i will look great for bikini season :} will keep you posted. i will get threw this and look back and say wow i made it. I was told about the walking so i will push my self to do so to feel better. self pitty doesn't heal.
    be well
  • groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    kaiepooh said:

Thank you for your support and advice. I did have the sheet. i remembered from my husband. i will have a tummy binder. they say it helps. also getting a tummy tuck so i will look great for bikini season :} will keep you posted. i will get threw this and look back and say wow i made it. I was told about the walking so i will push my self to do so to feel better. self pitty doesn't heal.
    be well

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll feel much better once you get by all of this, and may be surprised at how easy it really was.