New Here & need advise

aussiecrawl
aussiecrawl Member Posts: 15
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My darling husband was dx with stage iv rectal cancer (mets to liver & lungs with node involvement)in April 05. His tumor is inoperatable due to his tumor being attached to pelvic organs. His first line treatment involved 5fu/lev, unfortunately the treatment was unsuccessful and he has just completed his second cycle of 5fu/lev/irinotecan(campostar).During the past few months he has developed a cough and breathlessness which is getting progressively worse (his onc has prescribed morphine combined with cough supressent). He also developed back pain which is also getting progressively worse. His onc has ordered a full body bone scan and also brought forward his pelvic/chest ct scan forward from 23/3/06 to 28/2/06. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced the same situation and what the outcome was. I am very very worried as he seems to be detoriating and I'm not sure what to think? Is it normal for him to be experiencing these things? I would appreciate any replies that can put our minds at ease.

Maria

Comments

• mindy10
    mindy10 Member Posts: 182 Member
    Hi Maria, my dad has stage 4 with an inoperatable tumor and his first line of treatment was 5fu/lev and Oxaliplatin and Avastin. I beleive the Oxaliplatin was the one that helped shrink the tumor. You might want to ask the dr about the oxaliplatin and avastin. Every case is different but it is worth a shot. I hope your husband gets better results soon. Mindy
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    mindy10 said:

Hi Maria, my dad has stage 4 with an inoperatable tumor and his first line of treatment was 5fu/lev and Oxaliplatin and Avastin. I beleive the Oxaliplatin was the one that helped shrink the tumor. You might want to ask the dr about the oxaliplatin and avastin. Every case is different but it is worth a shot. I hope your husband gets better results soon. Mindy

Strewth...with a nic like that it has gotta be another "upside down land ozzie".
    Hiya Maria and welcome to our family.I am so sorry that your husbands cancer has brought you here but there is no doubt that our friends here will band together to support you. I was stage 2 so have very little I can offer so hopefully others will answer the call. Nonetheless I am glad you found us and hopefully you will find some answers here. There are some wonderfull stories here and many stage 4 friends who are fighting and winning the battle. For now from myself and Jen, we truly hope and pray that your hubby is also able have to beat this horrid thing. Come as often as you like....nothing here is left under the carpet....we are all very open about our pain, fears, anxiety and emotions.
    huggs to you both, Ross and Jen
  • oneagleswings
    oneagleswings Member Posts: 425 Member
    Hi Maria:
    My husband is also stage 4 with mets to liver and lungs..when he first started folfiri (irinorecan/camptosar) plus avastin he started a cough that kept getting worse (I read that irinotecan can cause a cough) but once he had about 5 treatments it seemed to go away...he also has back pain but that has been attributed to laying around alot and therfore not being in shape...
    Please let us know how the tests turn out nad feel free to email me here if you'd like.
    Bev