kinda silly question

Options
JessJame
JessJame Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just need someone to calm irrational fears. Only 23 long family history or breast cancer. Found a lump went in for ultrasound then for a mammogram waiting for the results. My question is why if they are able to see it that day can't they give you answers? They say not to worry but how can you not? Doctor already said they were sure it's not a cyst. Figured enough people here have been through it thought maybe someone here would have a better anser then the doctors. Thanks.

Comments

• Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    They can give you an answer the same day... and in fact if it is obvious Cancer... for me they did. I got the mammogram done and didn't even get redressed before the Doctor came in and told me it was cancer and that I needed to find a Surgeon. So maybe it is good news that they didn't have an immediate answer. But I would call every day or maybe even two times a day until you get an answer. I don't think Doctors truly understand how much not knowing drives us nuts. Hope you get a good answer soon.

Take care... God bless...
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi Jess,
    My advice.. Don't *choose* to let them take their sweet time. *Choose* to be proactive. Call and demand answers. If need be, drive down to the office and talk to them face to face. God bless.
    -Michael (leukemia survivor)
  • ClaudiaAnn
    ClaudiaAnn Member Posts: 51
    Options
    First of all, there are no silly questions when it comes to cancer. A question is a question that's all. They told me same day that mine was very suspicious and scheduled me for biopsy. I think they knew, but the radiologist was a very kind and consideration woman and I think she was trying to let me have time to talk and settle a little because I was projecting a not me sort of attitude. I had had two negative lumps removed in my 20s and thought this was just another one (my cancer was found 18 months ago and I was 56). When they were doing the bx. she said she was pretty sure it was cancer, but would call me when she got the results. She called two days later and told me the biopsy results were positive. Did they do an ultrasound? Or just the mammogram? Please calmly and persistently ask for results. And keeep asking until you get them.
  • middlec
    middlec Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometimes the radiologist who saw you that day wants another radiologist to look at your films for another opinion, and the other radiologist was not available at the time you were there. It should not take more than 2-3 days so as others say --keep calling & asking questions! Wish you the best of luck.My lump when I was your age was not cancer - I am now 61 & have just been diagnosed with cancer, surgery is next week.
    middlec
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    A lump was discovered and I had a mammogram and ultrasound the same day, as you did. They came out after reading both tests (it did take them an hour or two to get the results for both tests) and I was told it looked like "something" and that they needed to do a needle biopsy, which they did right then. I was then told 2 days later that it was positive for cancer. I really don't see why they couldn't give you the answer the same day. If some places can do it, then every place can do it. It's just that some hospitals and/or radiology centers don't work that way. I once went to a place and they informed you of the results 2-3 days later. Needless to say, I never went back there again. I don't see why women need to wait - anxiously, painfully wait - when there is no real reason other than "policy." I agree with the others who said you should keep calling them to get the answers you need ASAP. I also think it's probably good news that they don't seem alarmed. Good luck to you!
  • Jeanne2006
    Jeanne2006 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Just remember breast cancer is a disease of the cells in your breast. Until a pathologist can look at the cells under a microscope with special staining they really can't tell you for certain if a something on ultrasound or mammography is cancer. Worse part of it all is going through all of the steps to get to a biopsy results. Don't feel shy about pushing your doctor to expediate the results!!!
  • Kathy1108
    Kathy1108 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    My then GYN doctor find the lump in my breast, sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound. She said both test was fine. I waited 6 more months (checking the lump regularly) before going back to the Dr. When went back to make sure that this was still fine, she examined me (that only took like a second) then she said that I needed to go see a surgeon. The surgeon did a biopsy and a few days later she called me to tell me that I had cancer. I also had it in 4 of my lymph nodes. So, please make sure that they do a biopsy on you.