HRT and radiation - please help!

sandrafromsa
sandrafromsa Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Ladies, or anyone - my mom is about to go through 7 weeks of radiation for cancer of the pharynx (stage 3), please does anyone have any information on radiation and hormone replacement therapy? Should she still be taking this? Is it safe to keep using it?

Please help!
Sandra

Comments

• TereB
    TereB Member Posts: 286 Member
    Hi Sandra,
    Sorry about your Mom. I've had radiation on the head/neck area for a different kind of tumor. Has your Mom gone thru menopause? It is possible for radiation to affect pituitary in head, it happened to me and I had a radiation induced menopause before I was 40. These days hormone replacement therapy is recommended for only a short period of time. I had HRT for years and quit when I found out the problems it causes. You need to check with doctor about HRT and radiologist.
    God Bless,
    Tere
  • sandrafromsa
    sandrafromsa Member Posts: 4
    TereB said:

Hi Sandra,
    Sorry about your Mom. I've had radiation on the head/neck area for a different kind of tumor. Has your Mom gone thru menopause? It is possible for radiation to affect pituitary in head, it happened to me and I had a radiation induced menopause before I was 40. These days hormone replacement therapy is recommended for only a short period of time. I had HRT for years and quit when I found out the problems it causes. You need to check with doctor about HRT and radiologist.
    God Bless,
    Tere

Hi there Tere,

Thanks so much for the information and I wish you all the strength in the world. Take care and thanks so much for coming back to me.

Take care,
    Sandra
  • Christmas
    Christmas Member Posts: 100
    Sandra:
    I had 6 1/2 weeks of radiation for the Nasopharynx. I was not offered hormone replacement therapy. But I also had chemotherapy, so I skipped menopause altogether. I wish you and your mom the very best.
  • snickie
    snickie Member Posts: 5
    I've had 7 weeks of radiation for tongue. Though I'm in my 40's I've had no problems with hormones. Stay strong. I'll keep your mom in my prayers.