oxaliplatin help

Options
spok5
spok5 Member Posts: 18
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was diagnosed with colon cancer in October. After a resection I was stage 3 with 7 lymph nodes. I started with IV oxy and oral Xeloda. The oxy is every three weeks. The first session wasn't too bad- however, the following 2 sessions have been horrible. I am in bed for 5-6 days. The symptoms are extreme nausea (I have tried compazine, ativan and finally Kytrel- to no avail), serious constipation, cramping, and feeling like the flu or having been run over be a truck. I have a very hard time drinking anything. With the last session I had stomach problems and headaches for 5 days before just anticipating the coming session. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    HI there - So sorry that you are having such a hard time. I had very different side effects from Oxy (blotchiness, tingling in mouth and face, blood pressure spikes, liver impaction). Have you brought all of this up to your doc? Maybe the level can be lessened - or your nausea meds can be altered. I was put on EMEND - and it worked really well; nothing else did and I was in the Emergency Room with others. Again, so sorry that you are feeling so horribly and I hope things improve for you soon - Maura
  • rdy2shop
    rdy2shop Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi,
    My husband also had bad sad effects from the oxaliplatin. He was put on Emend, (I think the last posting says the same thing). It was developed at MD Anderson. It is very expensive, fortunately my ins paid for alot of it. But my pharmacy said that I could just buy a few of them at a time. When he was very sick (vomiting, dizziness, dry heaves) he would start with the Emend. As it tapered off, he would go to something less strong. Hope this helps....hang in there...there is finally a end to this in the future.
    Take Care
    Elaine
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    I was on Oxaliplatin and Xeloda also. My nausea was not as bad, but the doctor loaded me up with anti-nausea stuff. Both EMEND and ZOFRAN. They both worked however the EMEND made me so sleepy.

I also had severe live enzymes spikes and had to cut back my doses. I am sure your doctor is closely watching that. Best of luck to you.

Kerry
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    The Emend that the others have mentioned is taken an hour before your infusion with oxaliplatin and then for the two following days. My cancer center forgot to give me the Emend on my first treatment and I ended up in the hospital for a week so I can feel your pain. I,too, had anticipatory nausea prior to my second treatment. However, with the Emend I was able to complete all of the 12 treatments with minimal problems. Please talk to your oncologist about taking Emend....it makes all the difference.

Thinking of you,

Kay
  • fredrick55
    fredrick55 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been on oxaliplatin for 3 months, I get a treatment every 2 weeks. I was on 5 fu and on my third treatment they had a shortage so they gave me xeloda instead. The oxaliplatin had some side effects but the xeloda was downright nasty. Everyone that was given xeloda complained of stomach problems and a few had to be hospitalized because they were dehydrated from throwing up. You should contact your Oncologist and discuss the side effects, they should be willing to look at alternative meds. You should not be that sick unless there is no alternative. (and the xeloda may be a big contributer to the bad side effects).
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with it. I finished FOLFOX recently (oxaliplatin - but 5FU vs. Xeloda). I had to experiment quite a lot with antinausea meds. I had them before, during and after the chemo. I ended up using a combination of Kytril and Zofran. The antinausea meds caused constipation, so I used a laxative for a few days (till the diarrhea hit! -- a rapid transition!). The anticipatory nausea is difficult....I used more 'natural' remedies for that (e.g. ginger) - but - not easy. I wish you all the best. Be sure to let your docs know all this. ANd, can you seek advice from the oncology/chemo nurses? They can be a wonderful source of "tips".
    Tara
  • finner
    finner Member Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hello spok
    My first regime was folfiri for six months, followed by a couple months of Avastin. However in Dec scan shoed "activity" in liver mets and so I am now receiving oxiplatalin and 5fu push. So far I have had three sessions and do not have any major reactions, pins and needles, tightening of upper lip in the cold, which makes me look like I am sneering, so I hope that i don't meet someone I know when this happens!i can't smile back just sneer sort of.Anyway I am sorry to hear that you are having such a hard time of it. Hope that either things will correct themselves as your body adjusts (if that does happen) or that you can find meds to help you.
    Thinking of you.

margo
  • DH73
    DH73 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had stage 3 no lymph nodes 01/04 12 treatments of oxaliplatin & 5fu ending in 08/04 cancer in remission feeling well lots of numbness in feet a little in hands still