Chemo induced menapause!!

Options
SusanO43
SusanO43 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got diagnosed in Nov. of 04 just after my 42 b'day. I went thru the mastectomy & chemo's & I am taking Tamoxafin. Will I ever feel right again? Is this medicine making feel crazy? I cant remember stuff anymore. I get "weak spells" which I have had checked out, everything seems to be fine, all tests are clear. I just feel like I have turned into an " old Lady" in just a few months. Sex really hurts!! Not that I even want it!! But I have a husband that does! I was so worried about the chemo and all that goes with it I NEVER expected all this. On top of everything else I'm gaining so much weight. My eating is out of control. I dont know why I dont care anymore. I had lost 50 pounds before all of this! I'm tryin not to get depressed... Am I alone?

Comments

• lneuma1
    lneuma1 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    You are not alone, Susan. I too, was 42 when diagnosed, and shocked to realize the effects of chemically-induced and sudden-onset menopause.

Remember, though...it takes at least one FULL ENTIRE year after your last chemotherapy treatment to stop feeling the remnants of side-effects from chemo treatments.

Yes, you feel better in that chemo is over and it feels way better to feel nothing (meaning no side effects) but you still have to help your system flush OUT the poisons from all of your cells to start feeling halfway "normal."

Drink a lot of water, exercise a little each day even if you are tired (even just walking the dog), stretching exercises, try and eat healthy (or take supplements).

You may feel like your own worst enemy because you aren't the "same" as before cancer, but give yourself a damn break...you've been thru hell and back and your body is still in shock.

You can talk to your OBGYN about "moisture" and drive. But my best advice right now is BE PATIENT with yourself.

Also, Go see a nutritionist. Chemo can have permanent "zapping your system" side effects that an expert can help get balanced with a corrective pH and vitamin regime.

---Laura
  • Waving
    Waving Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Susan hi,
    No you're not alone with these difficulties - try this link
    http://www.breastcancer.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=69566&page=&fpart=1&vc=1
  • mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Hi Susan,
    You are not alone,but I would suggest talking with Your Doctor. There are meds that can help You through these difficult times. I am actually this month 2 years out from treatments. I don't know if everything goes away completely-I still get drained quickly,and the memory has gone on permanent vacation,or so it seems.Alot of things are different,I along with every other women whose been through this, feel like an 80 or 90 year old, especially first thing in the morning.My cancer was found a few weeks after my 43rd b-day I though I was doomed in the beginning too! But I'm glad to say I'm still here,not back to the same ole me, but a newly revised me,taking the time to look at life as the gift that it is.You have made it this far,take it one day at a time,and be good to Yourself and please talk to Your Doctor - it can make a world of difference.You can email me anytime if You like,let me know how things go. You are never alone-we are here and there are alot of us. God Bless You!
    (((HUGS)))
    Sue
  • Susan956
    Susan956 Member Posts: 510
    Options
    Susan,

Hope things will get better for you. After I finished Chemo, I made myself get on a diet and work out at the gym. When I started it was a real struggle... but every little bit I made myself do... I felt just a little better.

By the way have you tried Replens. It really does help. I was having pain as well and talked to my Doctor and that is what she recommended since I am ER/PR +. Don't know if it will help... but it sure helped me.

Again... give yourself time... and try to find just a little joy in life every day. Accept that you can't do what you used to be able to do... at least not yet.. and try to enjoy what you can do.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan
  • SusanO43
    Options
    Waving said:

Susan hi,
    No you're not alone with these difficulties - try this link
    http://www.breastcancer.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=69566&page=&fpart=1&vc=1

Thank you ! I really appreciate your response. I will try your link......susan
  • SusanO43
    Options
    lneuma1 said:

You are not alone, Susan. I too, was 42 when diagnosed, and shocked to realize the effects of chemically-induced and sudden-onset menopause.

Remember, though...it takes at least one FULL ENTIRE year after your last chemotherapy treatment to stop feeling the remnants of side-effects from chemo treatments.

Yes, you feel better in that chemo is over and it feels way better to feel nothing (meaning no side effects) but you still have to help your system flush OUT the poisons from all of your cells to start feeling halfway "normal."

Drink a lot of water, exercise a little each day even if you are tired (even just walking the dog), stretching exercises, try and eat healthy (or take supplements).

You may feel like your own worst enemy because you aren't the "same" as before cancer, but give yourself a damn break...you've been thru hell and back and your body is still in shock.

You can talk to your OBGYN about "moisture" and drive. But my best advice right now is BE PATIENT with yourself.

Also, Go see a nutritionist. Chemo can have permanent "zapping your system" side effects that an expert can help get balanced with a corrective pH and vitamin regime.

---Laura

It really is good to know that maybe just maybe i'm not cracking up....Thanks.......Susan
  • SusanO43
    Options
    mssue said:

Hi Susan,
    You are not alone,but I would suggest talking with Your Doctor. There are meds that can help You through these difficult times. I am actually this month 2 years out from treatments. I don't know if everything goes away completely-I still get drained quickly,and the memory has gone on permanent vacation,or so it seems.Alot of things are different,I along with every other women whose been through this, feel like an 80 or 90 year old, especially first thing in the morning.My cancer was found a few weeks after my 43rd b-day I though I was doomed in the beginning too! But I'm glad to say I'm still here,not back to the same ole me, but a newly revised me,taking the time to look at life as the gift that it is.You have made it this far,take it one day at a time,and be good to Yourself and please talk to Your Doctor - it can make a world of difference.You can email me anytime if You like,let me know how things go. You are never alone-we are here and there are alot of us. God Bless You!
    (((HUGS)))
    Sue

It sounds like you & I feel alot alike!!!! Thank you...can u tell me if I'm doing this right. I wanted to try & respond to everyone....?..Thanks....Susan
  • SusanO43
    Options
    Susan956 said:

Susan,

Hope things will get better for you. After I finished Chemo, I made myself get on a diet and work out at the gym. When I started it was a real struggle... but every little bit I made myself do... I felt just a little better.

By the way have you tried Replens. It really does help. I was having pain as well and talked to my Doctor and that is what she recommended since I am ER/PR +. Don't know if it will help... but it sure helped me.

Again... give yourself time... and try to find just a little joy in life every day. Accept that you can't do what you used to be able to do... at least not yet.. and try to enjoy what you can do.

Take Care... God Bless...

Susan

Thanks I will try the replens.....I'm open for any advice........Susan :)
  • Sarah06
    Sarah06 Member Posts: 30
    Options
    I did not require Chemo, however, my period stopped for two months. I believe it was from the anestesia, so I can imagine what Chemo can do. I felt like I was going to jump out of my skin and I couldn't stop eating. Once my period came my eating settled down. I did read that you eat and gain weight with chemo.
    Sarah06
  • ever1
    ever1 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Susan,
    I was diagnosed in Dec 04. I had surgery & reconstruction in Feb 05 & finished chemo in July. I know exactly what you mean. I have alot of the same problems. My doctor prescribed effexor - it seems to help some. They also recommended Vitamin E. I have been trying to walk at least 30 minutes a day and cut out junk food but it's so hard! This website has been great support for me. I have made some great on-line friends.
  • babs49242
    babs49242 Member Posts: 193
    Options
    SusanO43 said:

Thanks I will try the replens.....I'm open for any advice........Susan :)

I also had chemo induced menopause. I think of it as a blessing.I am on ARIMIDEX and get hot flashes and my memory is not as I would like it. I also get tired easily and frustrated that my joints hurt,another wondeful side effect. Keep your spirits up things will get better.
  • Suerita
    Suerita Member Posts: 1
    Options
    babs49242 said:

I also had chemo induced menopause. I think of it as a blessing.I am on ARIMIDEX and get hot flashes and my memory is not as I would like it. I also get tired easily and frustrated that my joints hurt,another wondeful side effect. Keep your spirits up things will get better.

Hi Babs. I think we are probably in the same boat, and I haven't seen too many people complain about the Arimidex effects. I also have joint pain, and am wondering how others handle it. Mostly knees and upper thigh muscles. I'm trying a dietary supplement that I can't remember what it is (another side effect). Any other ideas??