Nerve damage from radiation

124»

Comments

• Samt027
    Samt027 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2018 #62
    Brain cancer radiation

My relative 40 years old was treated for brain cancer with radiation & Chemo threapy for six weeks in December 2017. Six months passed he has lost his left leg. He cannot walk he is dragging his legs. Can any one advise will he be able to walk ever. Thanks.

• Rmn0567
    Rmn0567 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2019 #63
    Neuropathy in Feet and Toes

I had 26 radiation treatments to the pelvis and four cycles of chemo. I am currently experiencing numbness and tingling in my feet and toes. My oncologist instructed me to take a daily dose of B12 (500 mg).  I am hoping that this works.  Currently I do not have any pain when walking. The problems occur when I am at rest. I am hoping this clears up soon.

• KatLoop
    KatLoop Member Posts: 4 Member

I can speak to quality of life being very low. Mine is non-existent because of radiation. I HONESTLY don't think these oncologists care at ALL about the outcome that we experience. I was happy, extremely healthy, and pulling myself into a good place after suffering emotional and financial setbacks for many years. I haven't left the house, except to go to the doctor, since August 3rd of last year. Finances are in the toilet and I'm in pain 24 hours a day.

If ONLY I could go back in time and just say no 🚫👎 I don't want to be a major downer to anyone but the truth of the matter is that most tumors CAN be operated on (to cure) but it's not profitable to do so. In most cases, and I say most cases, not those that have advanced and spread, cancer is not the cause of death but treatment is the cause of death.

If ONLY I could turn back time.

• KatLoop

It's not that they don't get it. They most certainly have heard it a thousand billion times before. What they don't want is to be sued.

• KatLoop

No. There are NO doctors willing to provide solutions as it is not profitable to do so. But then, I think you already know that.

• francesm67
    francesm67 Member Posts: 1 *

Did you ever find anything for the pain only just in this and my 36 year old daughter is going through cervical cancer treatment had chemo and radiation only on imunithearapy and her left leg and drop foot she's in agony thanks

• feb11gal
    feb11gal Member Posts: 16 Member

Yes I Experienced severe muscle damage in my left buttocks after radiation or even halfway through it and yet had to complete all the sessions. It was horrible and I really feel for you. It has almost been a year since my radiation has been over and I'm just slowly starting to feel better now.

What I ended up doing was researching online the buttocks muscles and figured out which ones were giving me the most trouble. Then I went to a professional Rolfer for treatment. I also had some bio electrical work done.

Unfortunately overall I've spent 6 to 8 months of intense work trying to regain the flexibility and strength in those muscles. It was excruciating but in the end well worth it. Better than being crippled the rest of my life.

This happens in less than 1% of radiation cases. I'm so sorry but I definitely feel for you and know what you're going through.

CC

• AeronA
    AeronA Member Posts: 3 Member

I am on a similar position, seemingly losing power in my legs. The tingling & numbness are difficult. I have bilateral foot drop and lymphedema in pelvis, thighs, and one side of low abdomen.

i had 26 radiation treatments including 5 brachytherapy sessions & 5 rounds of chemo (Cisplatin). I came home weak in January 2020 and started falling that autumn. I’m basically in bed these days. I’ve been blaming myself, but now not so sure.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I wish you all the best in discovering helpful treatment. I pray for our health & recovery.

• Beeger
    Beeger Member Posts: 21 Member

I am 2 years post chemo rad for Anal cancer 3B N1 M0, over all did well with no evidence of disease at this time however now I am struggling with sacral pain and numbness and exercise intolerance prolonged sitting painful with oncology doctor and radiation oncologist of no help. I have a pelvic floor physical therapist I am going back to but I am struggling with feeling gas lit over my symptoms. Any help here I would greatly appreciate:( I still exercise almost every day despite. And also I am 57 yrs old. Blessings!

• feb11gal
    feb11gal Member Posts: 16 Member

I had severe sciatic pain down my left hip, buttocks, thigh,back of knee down to foot also for about a year after radiation. 12 on a scale of 1 to 10! Could only sit for 2 minutes at a time. Had to lay on right side or stand to live for months. Doctors were useless as the just treat the cancer not the damage from the radiation.

Did research and found 2 therapies that slowly helped me.

1. Rolfing or myofascia release treatment

2. Bioelectrical treatments on your calfs, thighs and buttocks.

Acupressure, swimming, and spinal decompression therapy also helped some but was only complementary to the main treatments.

I had to do a LOT of stretching and walking daily which was excruciatingly painful also. However after experiencing 12 pain level when you get down to 5 it gets easier.

You're going to be in pain anyway so you might as well work though the pain to a better life eventually!

Another lady said myofascia release helped her too.

• Beeger

Frances…

thank you so much for such a prompt reply. I shall look into there Therapies. This forum means so much to me and I value everyone’s input and guidance. I know I am tough., we all are! I’m proud of my strides and tenacity to persevere.

blessings

• AeronA

To Berger & feb11gal:

i am back in physical rehab for neuropathy & now lymphedema in my legs & lower right-side abdomen. I have a long way to go, but giving it my best.

There are some great professionals working with these issues you can see on Instagram & their own websites. Check them out if interested:

Perry Nickelson, D.C. at stopchasingpain.com

Dr. Alex Hill at oncopelvicpt.com

There are others that may be of interest. Thank you for sharing your experiences & information.

Be blessed!

• Beeger

That’s wonderful thank you:))

• AeronA

I’m happy to share m! I am learning so much from these professionals. I hope you find some good info too!🦋