Incisional hernia repair

Options
HowardJ
HowardJ Member Posts: 474
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had day surgery yesterday for an incisional hernia at the same location as my laproscopic right hemicolectomy a year ago.

I never thought I'd have to worry about constipation again. Let's just say Vicodin took that assumption away!

Howard

Comments

• This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Hi Howard: keep us posted RE your repair; I"ve been walking around with a hernia for 5 years now-(next to stoma) but afraid to fix it 'cause I've heard about a lot of failed surgeries..didn't know they could do it Laproscopicaly. Give me all the gory details. Bud
  • HowardJ
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thanks, Babs. Yes, I'm planning to take it easy for a couuple of weeks.

Howard
  • HowardJ
    Options
    nanuk said:

Hi Howard: keep us posted RE your repair; I"ve been walking around with a hernia for 5 years now-(next to stoma) but afraid to fix it 'cause I've heard about a lot of failed surgeries..didn't know they could do it Laproscopicaly. Give me all the gory details. Bud

Hi Bud,

Mine was starting to bother me so I had it fixed. The hernia was around the umbilical area and I got several opinions about getting it repaired. My internist said they learn in med school that patients can get strangulation of the small intestine if it pushes through the rupture and twists, however in real life practice they almost never see it. My oncologist said to be aware of any sudden severe pain in the area which could indicate strangulation. He went so far to say get to urgent care immediately if I get that type of pain. The surgeon said there is a low incidence of strangulation and a chance the repair can fail again especially if I gain a fair bit of weight. He quoted numbers which were very low for strangulation, and higher for failed repair. If it were not bothering me I might not have had the surgery but it seemed to be getting worse each day. The surgeon used mesh as a patch which is supposed to be a better fix. He could not do it laprascopically.

I also trust the surgeon. He is one of those doctors who other doctors and nurses all say is the best even before I ask, which says a lot about his ability and reputation.

Howard
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Howard -

Your comment about Vicodin made me laugh out loud!

Get better soon!

- SpongeBob
  • ron50
    ron50 Member Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Hi Howard,
    Hope the patch holds and you are feeling better. I had the full cut from sternum to groin and when they removed my gallbladder he went in thru the scar tissue ,,,,I don't think that was a real bright descision on the part of the surgeon . I have a lot of trouble with the lap entry just below my sternum and I also have a hernia on the incision just above my navel. I have tried talking to my doctors about it ,one said she couild feel the intestine thru the hernia ,but none of them seem corcerned . One day I'll lift something excessive and my innards will all fall out , until then I won't worry. I read a very cheerful article the other day that stated the most successsful diagnostic tool in medicine was autopsy perhaps some one should do a lot of research into time travel... Until then I just look at all my adventures with ca as bumps in the road of life ,nothing much you can do about it ,just get your suspension upgraded ,cheers Ron.