Aromasin vs Femara

Gramma44
Gramma44 Member Posts: 28
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is anyone on Aromasin and if so, what are your side effects and thoughts on this drug. I am a 4 1/2 yr, stage 1 survivor (lumpectomy, clean nodes,radiation and 6 mos chemo). I was on Tamoxifen for 18 months then was put on Femara 18 months ago. Due to severe joint pain the onc took me off Femara for a month and said if the pain improved to start Aromasin instead of going back on Femara. I would like to hear any pros and cons you may have on either of these drugs as I need to make a decision soon. Looking online at side effects Aromasin doesn't seem that different from Femara. I appreciate any input you can give me.

Comments

• tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Hi, I waited to see if anyone had taken both drugs and could share first hand knowledge. The reality is, even if one of us had made the change and found fewer side effects, you might make the change and find more. The drugs all work in combination with our bodies. If you do a search on Google, you'll fine each one of them comes with a list of possible side effects. The change might work for you. If the quality of my life right now was compromised to the point I was miserable, I think I'd try anything available. I've been on Arimidex for 2.5 years and suffer considerable joint pain. For me, it's an inconvenience I have learned to live with. My doctor has offered to change me and I'm not interested. The pain is limiting but not unbearable. The change to Aromasin might work for you. If it doesn't, you're no worse off. Good Luck!
    terri
  • Gramma44
    Gramma44 Member Posts: 28
    tlmac said:

Hi, I waited to see if anyone had taken both drugs and could share first hand knowledge. The reality is, even if one of us had made the change and found fewer side effects, you might make the change and find more. The drugs all work in combination with our bodies. If you do a search on Google, you'll fine each one of them comes with a list of possible side effects. The change might work for you. If the quality of my life right now was compromised to the point I was miserable, I think I'd try anything available. I've been on Arimidex for 2.5 years and suffer considerable joint pain. For me, it's an inconvenience I have learned to live with. My doctor has offered to change me and I'm not interested. The pain is limiting but not unbearable. The change to Aromasin might work for you. If it doesn't, you're no worse off. Good Luck!
    terri

Thank you for your input Terri. I have looked at the drugs online and they do seem comparable so maybe I will switch and see what happens until my next oncology appt in May. One of my concerns is that I'd never heard of Aromasin before - only the main 3 Tamoxifen, Femara and Arimidex- so am a little hesitant to switch but I must say I am seeing relief in my joint pain. I DO however have arthritis in all my joints which causes pain I have to live with, but I think now that the Femara was increasing the pain plus causing more muscle pain as well. Only time will tell. My thanks again for your help.