Alternative approaches with surgery?

Astrid
Astrid Member Posts: 17
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Newly diagnosed with stage 1 or stage 2 breast cancer. I want to fight this thing. My family history is very bad. My sister and grandmother both diagnosed young with breast cancer and both died young due to reoccurrence of breast cancer. What else can I do besides the surgery, chemo and radiation??

Comments

• tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Hi Astrid, We're learning more and more every day. The most recent reports to come out indicate that a healthy, well balanced diet and regular exercise are both important in the fight against breast cancer. Avoid high fat intake and, even if you don't have the time to join a gym, good brisk walking several times a week will do the trick. If your cancer turns out to be ER or PR+, there are drugs like Tamoxifen, Arimidex and Femara that boost survival and reduce the risk of recurrance. If yours is Her2 Neu+, we now have Herceptin boosting disease free survival for women with aggressive breast cancer. Go for all your followups with medical team and try to stay positive! Good luck.
    terri
    24242 Member Posts: 1,398
    Though I agree with the diet and exercise I also feel that we all must realize our stake in our lives. What we were doing before cancer wasn't really working due to our diagnosis but know that life can be better, though hard to believe. I have to say that learning to listen to what my body was saying to me, was the best thing I ever could do. I think we can all look back and realize the signs we ignored and now we must listen, hear for the nagging noise.
    I think sometimes there is a sense of security with that word "cured" and often denial rears its ugly head. We need to lead our lives with our eyes wide open and truly understanding who and what we are. Knowing our risks for reoccurance is good and that of other cancers but as always there are no gaurantees.
    Tara