StageIII Her2+++ /Est-/Pr-

Options
Trixielee
Trixielee Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,
I am 37yrs. old and recently diagnosed at stageIII b/c. I am totally frightened of what the future holds and I am finding great comfort on this website. I guess I am reaching out to see if anyone has been diagnosed as Her2+++. It seems to be a stinky situation to be in. (as is all b/c diagnosis.)

Thank you to all you women who have given me the courage to actually be able to want to talk about this.

Comments

• tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi Trixielee, Hard as it is to believe, your HER2 status may end up being a blessing. We now have a monoclonal antibody, Herceptin, that's having amazing results. It's availability has reduced recurrences and metastasis by upwards of 50%, pushing disease free survival for many into the 80+%. That's as good a prognosis as I got at stage II, ER+ but HER2-. We all felt that first panic at a breast cancer diagnosis. It would be a lie to imply that the surgery and followup treatment will be easy. It will, however, be do-able. So many of us are still here as proof of that. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    terri
  • JKAlley
    JKAlley Member Posts: 84
    Options
    tlmac said:

Hi Trixielee, Hard as it is to believe, your HER2 status may end up being a blessing. We now have a monoclonal antibody, Herceptin, that's having amazing results. It's availability has reduced recurrences and metastasis by upwards of 50%, pushing disease free survival for many into the 80+%. That's as good a prognosis as I got at stage II, ER+ but HER2-. We all felt that first panic at a breast cancer diagnosis. It would be a lie to imply that the surgery and followup treatment will be easy. It will, however, be do-able. So many of us are still here as proof of that. I'll keep you in my prayers.
    terri

Trixielee, I am the same as you, stage llla, her2 3+, and er/pr -. Terri is right, at this point it seems to be a blessing to be her2 pos. I was in the study for herceptin, and it seems everyone is singing it's praises. It was a long haul - chemo, radiation, and 52 weeks of herceptin - but if it works it was well worth it. Once the chemo and rads were over and I was just down to herceptin, it wasn't bad. There are some side effects, little things like heart failure, but they'll watch your heart through the whole thing. I did have to stop for a month or so because my heart showed signs of weakening, but got back on it and was able to complete the years worth. It's all very overwhelming right now for you I know, I'm so sorry. I remember thinking I'll never get through it all, but you do. I finished 1yr 1/2 ago, and looking back I'm so glad I did it. It's a journey, and this place is a great start to getting you through it. Knowledge is power, so start reading everything you can. There is a her2 web site as well. I don't have it right now, but google her2neu and I'm sure you can find it. Good luck, and let us know how things are going.
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Options
    Hi Trixielee,

I am also stage III, ER-, but PR+ and HER2+. Like JKAlley I got herceptin by entering a trial. The trials are now closed but you should find it easy enough to get an oncologist to give it to you. Make sure you have them administer it along with taxol (or taxotere) for maximum punch. The website that was mentioned is her2support.org . I highly recommend it, lots of info and knowledgeable folks there.

Herceptin has changed what for us was a "poor prognosis" into a GOOD prognosis! Lots of hope, don't dispair! I'm 2 1/2 yrs. out now and no sign of problems. What is your treatment program?

Susan