How long does it take for biopsy results

Future
Future Member Posts: 133 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
How long does it normally take to get pathology report for a tissue biopsy? Have had a recurrent infection after reconstruction surgery, 3 infections in 4 months, now on antibiotics for 30 days. Doctors couldn't rule out a recurrence and did dermal skin biopsy eight days ago. Initial cultures are back and show no infection, doesn't surprise me because was on antibiotics a week before biopsy. They still don't have path report and it's driving me crazy, it seems like every 6 months something occurs where physicians say well........we need to rule out a recurrence. I was diagnosed Stage IIIA in May 03. Besides skin biopsy have chest CT scan with "non-pathological appearing" pleural nodules and I have to have that repeated again in 3 months. It's wearing on me.

Comments

• mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Hi Future,

I'm sorry You are having to deal with so much at this time-waiting really blows,but be glad that Your Doctor is concerned and is taking actions to make sure Your health stays on the safe side-some Doctors don't.I had a mammogram last month it took a week for the pathologist(sp)to read the results and send it to the Doctor.I hope Your wait isn't much longer,sounds like You have alot on Your shoulders/You've made it this far-You are strong enough to get through this -it's taken a lot of courage to get to where You are now-so hang in there-let us know Your results-we are here whenever You need us.I'll keep You in my prayers.
    Sue
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    I am thinking that some areas of the country just take longer for some reason. Here, I get my results in a day or so, regardless of if it is a bone scan, biopsy, etc.

Have you called them and told them how this is affecting you? Maybe someone should open a path office there if they are that backed up, you know? I am so sorry. Just hang tough. I think, at least here, if it is bad news, it is back much quicker. Fingers crossed.

All the best,

Jan
  • Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member

I am thinking that some areas of the country just take longer for some reason. Here, I get my results in a day or so, regardless of if it is a bone scan, biopsy, etc.

Have you called them and told them how this is affecting you? Maybe someone should open a path office there if they are that backed up, you know? I am so sorry. Just hang tough. I think, at least here, if it is bad news, it is back much quicker. Fingers crossed.

All the best,

Jan

My doc is good. We do a lot of our communication by email to save us from phone tag. What's scaring me is it's generally the opposite here, had prohylactic mastectomy in April since the MRI couldn't show me 100% cancer free and there were multiple foci and that report was quick and it was negative. I'm nervous because I wonder if something is there.. so taking longer to do report. Almost two years after radiation and the radiation oncologist having his office call me changing my yearly visit to "in three months" after final CT report back doesn't make it any easier. I really was expecting that after more than 2 years that frequency of visits, etc would decrease. Am I being unrealistic? I was Stage 3A.