Follow up on my use of Neurontin

Options
livin
livin Member Posts: 318 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi everyone. a few weeks ago I mentioned that I was affraid to take Neurontin for my Neuropathy(sp) because of one of the side effects was seizures. Well I tried the medication, Doc put me on 300mg every 12hrs.(twice a day. My legs and knees became worse. My knees swoll up to the point when I tried to sit down to use the bathroom I all most didn't make to the toliet bowl because of the servere pain.I stopped the pill today and have alittle less pain then taken them. My left knee which has a cyst aurthor and water already swoll to twice the size that it was after using the meds. My right knee and leg feel like the left does and that didn't have a cyst in it. I was at the point to almost crying with pain and I all ready take M.S. Contin 60 mg q12hr. and percocet q4 hr p.rn. for break through pain from my other illness. Believe me this did nothing for my legs. So I wanted to make sure I tried it to see if it helped before I went back to the doctor this week. I have taken the meds for about 2 weeks(neurontin) I will tell the Dr. this week that it does not work for me. Anymore suggestions, Thanks Livin

Comments

• mwomack
    mwomack Member Posts: 78
    Options
    My husband was being treated for Neuropathy by a Neurologist before the big C and Oxaliplatin hit. He had tried the Neurotin and it did absolutely nothing for him. The Dr. then recommended ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) which is an over-the-counter supplement. It has been studied in Germany for 30 years for Diabetic neuropathy. He said he had patients that were having good results with it and gave him some readings and results of studies. It helped him immediately.

But, he has been off chemo since May and is still dealing with neuropathy in his hands and feet. Because of the nausea, he was not able to take the ALA consistently during the treatments so I don't know if it would have helped. I do not know if it would help chemo induced neuropathy at all. There are some patients that post on various sites that I read that are being prescribed it before and during chemo lately. My husband was given the okay by the Onc (after he researched it) to take it during chemo, he just didn't because he thought it made him sick. It is like a lot of vitamins, and he has to take it with food.

It wouldn't hurt to research it and talk to your Dr. about it. My husband is/was on 600mg a day, but the ones that have been writing that their onc. has prescribed it seems to be prescribed at 900mg a day most often.

MA
  • livin
    livin Member Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Thanks MA for your reply. I will check into that. Livin