Taxol -Leg pain

Options
clight
clight Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Do or have any of you had leg pain with Taxol chemotherapy. I've had 2 treatments and horrible leg pain with the Taxol, no peripheral neuropathy-numbness, etc. though. If so what helped you? Pain meds, vicodin, and ice help some for about 4 hours, then pain returns. It will subside in a few days, but bad now. Help! C.

Comments

• pammycake
    pammycake Member Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi. I did Taxol for 4 cycles and yes I had leg pain as well. I took Vicodin and Darvocet. I tried warm baths, but it didn't seem to work for me. I was told that my pain was from the chemo, but I also did the Neulasta shot too. I do hope that you can find something to ease your pain.

Take care!!

Pam
  • melperkins
    melperkins Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I finished my Taxol treatment over a year ago. I also had horrible leg pain, from my first treatment.I was told this pain would go away after my treatments ended. My Docotor was wrong. I suffer what is called chemo related severe Neuropathy, for which there is no cure and few treatments/medicines that help.Taxol, Taxotere, and a few other chemo drugs can cause this Neuropathy, nerve damage/destruction. These nerves and their coverings do a poor job coming back so PLEASE insist your Doctors consider stopping Taxol and switching you to something less damaging to you. Some people are extremely sensitive to this drug. If you started having severe pain from the beginning, you are one of these people too. After the damage is done,it is too late. My Doctor hands me pain medicine, sleeping pills, blesses my heart and says he will see me in 6 months.I have seen a Neurologist but none of the few medicines they have for Neuropathy helped me. The side effects from those medicines were their own impossible solutions.Good luck. Melperkins
  • LorettaB
    LorettaB Member Posts: 51
    Options
    I had leg pain as well...there were days when it was hard to walk. My doctor gave me hydrocodn which was effective. The leg pain went away about a week after each treatment.

Hope you are on your way to finishing chemo!

Loretta
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    Options
    did you have the neupogen (sorry about the spelling). my first tx 2 days later i had really bad leg pain. when i went back for my 2nd tx i ask the lady that was giving the shots. she told me to take advil before the injection then every 6 hours i did not have the pain. my problem now is that i have bad hand cramps. i don't know what to do. all of my blood work is fine my md told me to take magnesium. i still get them i had one tonight it last about 10 min, very painful. i go for my pet scan tomorrow. it has been 3 years. hope everyone is doing good. take care vicki
  • Kathy1108
    Kathy1108 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I had taxol almost 2 years ago and I also had leg pain. I was given neurontin to take for 2 days after the taxol treatment and that worked for me.
    Kathy
  • elsielc
    elsielc Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I had leg pain with taxotere. the first treatment was bad, but went away after a couple of days. Second treatment they upped my dose and it lingered a few more days. Third treatment they reduced the dosage and no pain. But they upped it on 4th treatment and now, after a year, I have extreme numbness on feet, some on hands. I take amitrytiline (sp), but it does little good to fight the pain. Your dr. can adjust the dosage to keep it within guidelines, but you may consider stopping. I was given the option of stopping, taking a drug that didn't have a track record or continuing. I decided to continue as my cancer is advanced and I felt I would rather risk the neuropathy than not get enough chemo to fight the cancer.
  • BFrank229
    BFrank229 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Try "L-Glutamine" (NOT glucosamine) in powder form. I was told to take 10 grams, 3x/day for about 3 days after each Taxol treatment. It worked very well for me. You should be able to find it at health food stores.