On Getting Fired

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, all. I haven't been on in a while. Dx in 10/03 w/ triple negative bc. 1.2 cm, stage 1 grade 3. I'm 40 now. No mets so far. Over the past year, I've made some accounting errors at work because I've been so distracted by bc. I guess I wasn't really on top of my game. Basically I overbilled the fed gov't. The funds are all accounted for and will be returned to the feds. But when the CFO finds out, [because of the large amount of $ involved] I will be summarily dismissed.

I am so sad right now... like such a loser. I have no one to blame but myself. Aside from the humiliation, I worry about losing my health insurance. What will happen to my health insurance after I'm fired? Does anyone know? This shows that the effects of bc are enormous. Thanks in advance.

Jaded

Comments

• mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Options
    Dear Jaded,
    Hi, Sue here. I know how You feel-I lost my job back in February of this year.I was diagnosed in August of 2003,had my last treatment in January of 2004.I was making so many mistakes-couldn't focus much less remember even the simple things that before I pulled off without a hitch.I don't think it's so much the Cancer as the chemo.I talked to the doctor that told me when You go through chemo that it doesn't cross over the blood barrier in the brain ,that's why they don't treat patients with chemo for brain cancer but use radiation.But that it is possible for it to cross,doesn't make much sense to me -cause Your blood travels all through the body-including the brain -right.All I know is that since then my vision has gotten worse -now I wear glasses-which I've never done before,never had problems until after starting chemo.I can't seem to do half of the things I use to-I don't want to sound as though I'm not grateful to be here,I am,everything is just different now.As far as Your ins. goes The company You work for by law has to offer Cobra-of course You'll have to pay for it Yourself-it isn't cheap,but neither is health care,find away to keep it.

As of now You are still working make the best of it.I really do understand the feeling of stress and frustration felt after a big blunder that was my fault--do yourself a favor though--don't beat yourself up,things do happen none of us are perfect after all we are only human.I know You're thinking that's easily said-but it actually takes time to get over these things and life does go on. Just remember everything happens for a reason we just don't always know why.

I hope everything works out for You.God didn't make any losers,but he did make chosers,It's really up to You and how You CHOSE to deal with things.When we stress out we tend to only make things worse. If You've made a mistake,and that's all it is, forgive Yourself and lighten Your load.You've already gone through a very very tough situation,take good care of Yourself,You are worth it,remember to pamper Yourself when ever the opportunity arises, because You only live once-life is short and You have to be able to live with Yourself.(mind and body)

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers-keep us posted.
    God Bless You!!
    Sue
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi Jaded,
    I am sorry to know you feel so sad. yes, this is a mistake, but its probably not an indication of your quality of work performance. I know you are scared, its understandable. But you are NOT a loser!! You are going through something terrible and frightening! That is a big difference! I am thinking... if anyone reads this... and has one or two suggestions... please send them here. First off.. what state do you live in? Look on the internet or look in the yellow pages for Social Services, SSI, or Soc Sec. Ask them if you could be put on state assistance and state insurance should you get fired? Inquire about a program in insurance called COBRA. Also... call the Govt Employment office and find out if the company has leverage to fire you for this mistake... do they know you have cancer? These are a few things to do now. Lets just wait and see what the CFO says. He/She may be able to overlook this at this time, for you. Also... pray and ask God to help you through this. I will say a prayer for you. God bless
    -Michael (leukemia survivor)
  • Ellison
    Ellison Member Posts: 68
    Options
    We all make mistakes that we wish we didn't. No one is perfect. You are scared of the unknown. Everything is going thru your mind. No job, no insurance. The people that posted have given you some good suggestions. Like someone said you are still working and you never know what the outcome my be until it happens. It doesn't hurt to do some research even if you don't loose your job. That always takes the fear out of things for me. I will say a prayer for you also.

Big HUG
    elli
  • reach4thesky
    reach4thesky Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello Jaded, I hope I can cheer you up in some way. I was diagnosed this year with BC, had Mastectomy on May 5th, infected implant removed about 2 weeks ago. I am not having to under Chemo or Radiation. Without having to go through Chemo, I still find my health issues to be overwhelming some days, and I am normally quite a positiive person. The Tomoxifin makes me very irratiable and cry alot lately, (and I just started). I opened a Franchise 1 year ago and have 3 kids. My business requires alot of my focus. However, it is hard to focus when you have to deal with sorting out all of your medical issues. So even without Chemo, it can be tough. My best advice to you, is to address the situation before it addresses you, if you can. Communication and honesty is sometimes the key to resolving the toughest problems. If you haven't addressed the CFO yet, could you possibly request a meeting to explain the situation. I think most employers would value that someone would come forth with honesty rather than cover up a situation. By the way, I own a Staffing Company. As for Cancer, your CFO, may think twice about letting you go since you have had medical problems. One he/she may have a heart if you are truly a dedicated employee. Second, he/she may be cautious about the law. There is a new publication available to assist employers in understanding how the Americans with Disabilities Act might apply to job applicants and EMPLOYEES who have or had cancer. This link may or may not help...but here it is: http:www.eeoc.gov/facts/cancer.html.
    Hang in there! Jenny
  • Hello Jaded, I hope I can cheer you up in some way. I was diagnosed this year with BC, had Mastectomy on May 5th, infected implant removed about 2 weeks ago. I am not having to under Chemo or Radiation. Without having to go through Chemo, I still find my health issues to be overwhelming some days, and I am normally quite a positiive person. The Tomoxifin makes me very irratiable and cry alot lately, (and I just started). I opened a Franchise 1 year ago and have 3 kids. My business requires alot of my focus. However, it is hard to focus when you have to deal with sorting out all of your medical issues. So even without Chemo, it can be tough. My best advice to you, is to address the situation before it addresses you, if you can. Communication and honesty is sometimes the key to resolving the toughest problems. If you haven't addressed the CFO yet, could you possibly request a meeting to explain the situation. I think most employers would value that someone would come forth with honesty rather than cover up a situation. By the way, I own a Staffing Company. As for Cancer, your CFO, may think twice about letting you go since you have had medical problems. One he/she may have a heart if you are truly a dedicated employee. Second, he/she may be cautious about the law. There is a new publication available to assist employers in understanding how the Americans with Disabilities Act might apply to job applicants and EMPLOYEES who have or had cancer. This link may or may not help...but here it is: http:www.eeoc.gov/facts/cancer.html.
    Hang in there! Jenny

Dear Ellison, MC, MsSue and reach4thesky:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I am still distraught, because I've always tried to my best at work. But I guess we're all imperfect. I am rereading your excellent suggestions and need to decide quickly how to proceed. The last couple of days, I've truly been even more depressed than I was before. But I am thankful to be alive even with BC. reach4thesky, thanks for the link... I will check it out.

Jaded