Extremely Scared

Options
bebe1976
bebe1976 Member Posts: 60
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am a 29 year old breast cancer survivor. Haven't been around here for a while because I've been in remission since Oct. 2002. I got married a year ago, finnished lawschool and am abou to bar. My mammograms are now on a yearly basis but my blood tests are every six months. I had never gotten a bad blood test but this last one showed an elevated LDH level and my onc said I was to repeat it in about a month to see if it remained high. He said if it did it may very well be cancer, we will have to do more tests. My mammogram was done in June of this year and it is normal. I am extremely scared, has anyone else had this problem? I had a lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, radiation and a hysterectomy 3 years ago due to DCIS and Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. The invasive part was only 5mm out of the 4 1/2 inch tumor, which was grade 3, hormone receptor possitive 99%, Her2Neu weakly positive, diploid and my nodes were all (16) negatgive.

Comments

• BonnieT
    BonnieT Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi
    I am sorry to hear this, waiting is always the hardest.Keep in mind that if it did come back, they have even better med's than in 2002.Herceptin is one , that works with HER2+ . I had been cancer free for 2 years and then chest wall tumor.in 2004, chemo. rad. and now Herceptin. Hang in there , we are all in this together.It's hard starting over again, but we can't let cancer win. Hopefully
    your results will be good, keep us posted. God Bless you !!
    Bonnie T
  • bebe1976
    Options
    BonnieT said:

Hi
    I am sorry to hear this, waiting is always the hardest.Keep in mind that if it did come back, they have even better med's than in 2002.Herceptin is one , that works with HER2+ . I had been cancer free for 2 years and then chest wall tumor.in 2004, chemo. rad. and now Herceptin. Hang in there , we are all in this together.It's hard starting over again, but we can't let cancer win. Hopefully
    your results will be good, keep us posted. God Bless you !!
    Bonnie T

Thanks Bonnie! You will be in my prayers as well.
    Hugs,
    Jenn
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I wouldn't put to much stock on the results of blood test and bc. Try to eat well, rest when you can, and pray a lot. Linda
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    For me, the waiting is actually harder than the reality. Doctors, in their effort to catch everything as early as possible, sometimes forget that even the remotest possibility terrifies us. Keep in mind that tumor markers are only one indication of a problem. Some doctors find them so unreliable they don't test for them. My oncologist is one of those. Remember, too, that there are a number of benign reasons for having an elevated LDH. Anemia is one of those, so are alcohol, anesthetics and even aspirin. I read that vitamin C can actually lower LDH. Bonnie is correct, we do have much better drugs for your diagnosis than we had in 2002. Make sure you're eating healthy and taking care of your body. All of our fates are in God's hands. I find great comfort in believing that. We'll keep you in our prayers. Please remember to log back on, at the end of that month, to let us know everything is OK.
    terri
  • docholly
    docholly Member Posts: 16
    Options
    You sound like an extremely strong woman. THink how much you have been through already and how much you have accomplished since then (good luck on the bar)! As others have said, uncertainty is worse than knowing. Have confidence that you will manage this hurdle, whatever the outcome, with the courage and strength that you have already found within yourself.

I would also appreciate your feedback (and that of others) on what kind of "blood tests" are used for monitoring--and what we know about their reliablity. My oncologist never recommended any blood tests, and I never thought to ask him about it.
  • BonnieT
    BonnieT Member Posts: 13
    Options
    docholly said:

You sound like an extremely strong woman. THink how much you have been through already and how much you have accomplished since then (good luck on the bar)! As others have said, uncertainty is worse than knowing. Have confidence that you will manage this hurdle, whatever the outcome, with the courage and strength that you have already found within yourself.

I would also appreciate your feedback (and that of others) on what kind of "blood tests" are used for monitoring--and what we know about their reliablity. My oncologist never recommended any blood tests, and I never thought to ask him about it.

HI
    I am no expert, but for labs I get a routine lab and also I get a liver panel and tumor markers every 6 months. A number of things can elevate your liver panel, cancer cells in your body being one of them.So if it is ever elevated I would request either a PET scan ( scans your entire body) or at least a CT or MRI.My oncologist is really good about letting me suggest tests I would like. I really don't know alot about the tumor markers but it makes me feel better getting it done, I guess , that is really what matters, as long as you are happy with what is getting tested. I think we should follow our instincts(sp?).
    best of luck
    Bonnie T
  • bebe1976
    Options
    tlmac said:

For me, the waiting is actually harder than the reality. Doctors, in their effort to catch everything as early as possible, sometimes forget that even the remotest possibility terrifies us. Keep in mind that tumor markers are only one indication of a problem. Some doctors find them so unreliable they don't test for them. My oncologist is one of those. Remember, too, that there are a number of benign reasons for having an elevated LDH. Anemia is one of those, so are alcohol, anesthetics and even aspirin. I read that vitamin C can actually lower LDH. Bonnie is correct, we do have much better drugs for your diagnosis than we had in 2002. Make sure you're eating healthy and taking care of your body. All of our fates are in God's hands. I find great comfort in believing that. We'll keep you in our prayers. Please remember to log back on, at the end of that month, to let us know everything is OK.
    terri

thanks, my tests will be on Sept 23rd, and I will log back on and let you guys know about the outcome, my apointment with my onc. is Septembber 27th.
    warmest hugs,
    Jenn
  • bebe1976
    Options
    docholly said:

Hey,
    As far as blood tests my onc has me do a CBC, comprehensive metabolic panel, & LDH every six months. When I first started it was every six weeks, then every three months for the first two years. Aside from that, the only follow-up regime I'm on is a yearly breast profile and 20mg of Tamoxifen everyday. As far as the tests, in terms of the blood tests they are routine to check my wbc, rbc, platelet count, and tumor markers which I'm told may indicate tumoral growth or development but are not extremely specific to that. In terms of the breast profile, it is the best proven method to detect breast cancer early. I almost forgot, it is extremely important to do a monthly self-exam of your breasts...I cannot stress it enough, it was the tool which eventually saved my life.
    Thanks for all your advice and encouragement, I'm here if you need anything.
    Take care and be good to yourself!
    Jenn
  • mattsmom05
    mattsmom05 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi! there! you will defintely be in my prayers. I am 30 and on my last chemo treatment. please don't hesitate to email me, if you need to talk.
  • Miche9366
    Miche9366 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    I understand how scared you are. When I was only 25 I was diagnosed. I have had blood taken once a year for 13 years now and have had biopsies turn out to be negative for cancer. You hold your breath and hope for the best. Sometimes things turn out to be false poitives. Many prayers are with you. Hang in there.
  • hounddog
    hounddog Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Hello sorry to hear that you are going through a hard time .I was first diagnosed with breast cancer in Nov.1989 in my early 20's and I had Know Idea what I was going through . I had surgery before Thanksgiving in 1989 and when they got me to my room I slept till after 5:00 p.m. that night because I did not want to face reality .Well a new breast cancer was found in Feb.2003 and I was scared like the first time . We are all in this together you are not alone and we all go through storms in our life and it is alright to be scared during storms but keep your trust in the Lord . Also take one day at a time.
    marilyn