To worry or not to worry

Options
rthornton
rthornton Member Posts: 346 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I have had diarrhea six or so times since late last night and have a fever that stays around 101 degrees (give or take a 10th of a degree). Called the on-call doctor from my oncologists office and she said to take Immodium AD and Tylenol, and definitely call her if this doesn't seem to help. I've been a good patient so far in my chemo regimen with very little in the way of side effects, but now I am worried that this may be the start of things getting bad. Has anyone else had similar episodes of chronic diarrhea and fever?

These were the symptoms that originally compelled me to visit a gastroenterologist, which then led to a diagnosis of stage four cancer. I can't decide whether to shrug this off, or if it's really something to worry about.

I'd love to hear if anyone else has had such episodes.

Rodney

Comments

• CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    HI Rodney - so sorry that you are experiencing a harder session this time. I would be concerned by the fever; and with the amt of diarrhea, you could be dehyderated. I am no doc and I don't want to scare you, but both seem a bit extreme for our side effects. I carried a subnormal temp during most of chemo.....and I did have a lot of intestinal distress - but this doesn't sound like something to let go. I would be on the safe side and call her.....Chemo can be so strange - one doesn;t know what to expect and each person seems to react in a different way... Best of luck and Ihope things calm down soon. Cheers - Maura
  • alihamilton
    alihamilton Member Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hi Rodney,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I would be more concerned about the fever. If you are receiving chemo, my impression is that you have to be concerned when you have a fever as the treatment can make you more susceptible to getting infections. My husband's doctor had told him to take any rise in temperature seriously. If the Tylenol does not work, please follow the doctor's advice and call her back.

Hopefully both the diarrhoea and fever will go away but do watch the situation carefully, in case you do have an infection.

Let us know how it goes.

Ali
  • bcmeaks
    bcmeaks Member Posts: 22
    Options
    Hi Rodney -- I'm with these guys -- I would see your doctor ASAP. I was hospitalized with those same symptoms about 3 weeks prior to the end of my chemo treatments. I was dehydrated and low on potassium and phosphorus, but nothing serious. They gave me IV fluids and pumped me up on potassium and phosphorus, and I felt like a new woman. It made the remainder of my chemo problem-free. It was literally like getting a tune-up! Good luck, and let us know what happens!
  • HisJoy
    HisJoy Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I have had diarrhea just about daily since early in May with this chemo regimen (FOLFOX plus Avastin). The diarrhea is normal, but a fever is a sign of infection and should be taken seriously. Secondary infections can occur during chemo if your white count drops - how are your CBC's looking?? White count ok? My instructions from my onc are to call him immediately if I get a fever above 100 degrees so that antibiotics can be given. Make sure you follow up if that fever doesn't go away!
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Rodney,

I too ran a fever several times and was plagued with lots of diarrhea. The first time I ran a fever I went back for another CT scan - nothing showed up and we figured it was just the chemo. I also had lots of intestional pain. The lasta time I ran a fever it was 103+. That is when I received fluids, antibiotics and soon thereafter had my port removed (the doctor feard an infection in the port).

Contact your doctor about the fever.

Kerry
  • rthornton
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. The fever has diminished considerably, but the diarrhea is relentless. Now it's about every half hour. I'm going to call the oncology office right now.

Rodney
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    rthornton said:

Thank you all for your replies. The fever has diminished considerably, but the diarrhea is relentless. Now it's about every half hour. I'm going to call the oncology office right now.

Rodney

I'm so glsd that you are calling your doc. My onc mentioned that if the condition became too chronic,that it could be very serious. I am assuming just the dehydration, but one never knows. I don'tknow if Imentioned it before, but incredibly coarse bread - I used an artisan bakery's Whole Wheat Walnut - really helped my diarreha. Again, wishing you luck - and a break from all of this. Cheers-Maura
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey Rodney,
    I hope this post finds you feeling a little better. Let us know how you are doing. I'll be thinking about you and sending good healthy thoughts your way.
    Take Good Care,
    Taunya
  • HisJoy
    HisJoy Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hey, Rodney. I think you told me you were going to the onc today...how'd it go? Everything ok?

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!
  • rthornton
    Options
    HisJoy said:

Hey, Rodney. I think you told me you were going to the onc today...how'd it go? Everything ok?

DRINK LOTS OF WATER!

Yes, thanks for asking. They think I just got a stomach virus, like any non-cancerous person would get, but it's worse when you have a compromised immune system due to chemotherapy. Thanks to the powers of Lomotil, the diarrhea has now stopped and the fever is gone. So, I guess I'll be good to go for chemo round #4 on Wednesday.

Thanks for asking!

Rodney
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    rthornton said:

Yes, thanks for asking. They think I just got a stomach virus, like any non-cancerous person would get, but it's worse when you have a compromised immune system due to chemotherapy. Thanks to the powers of Lomotil, the diarrhea has now stopped and the fever is gone. So, I guess I'll be good to go for chemo round #4 on Wednesday.

Thanks for asking!

Rodney

Hi Rodney....never underestimate the power of the poison they give us. It is always wise to seek out your doc for any reason. There is nothing too trivial while doing chem.
    Better to be safe than sorry mate. Glad you are doing better now, Kanga n Jen