Help: Advice on oncologist visit results

Options
midnte0708
midnte0708 Member Posts: 166
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Today my father went to the oncologist.
Here's a little history. Colon resection in 1993 and 1996 followed by rounds of chemo.
He had been going for checkups since then but had stopped a couple years ago.
Now:
Liver tumor 1/3 of liver (cancer)
6cm "growth" in thyroid upper chest area (biopsy next week)
Too much calcium in bones (bone density test next
week)

Does anyone have any experience with any of this or similar situations? Advice or insight?
What do you think?

Doctor suggests starting chemo to shrink tumors and then possible liver resection....

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Hi, I had liver mets and went on the FOLFOX chemo (lucavorin, oxyplatin, 5FU and Avastin) It did shrink my tumors enough so I could be operated on. That was last Sept. I think it's a sound plan.
    How all works out well.
    -Phil
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an unusual situation to have problems both withthe liver and thyroid area. it certainly needs exploring to clarify what is going on. the liver tumour sounds like they have assumed is from the colon cancer and I assume by its size is not something new. Surgery and chemo are the treatments fo rthis but there are a lot of different approoaches depending on the tumour characteristics. #The thyroid growth I guess will only be clear after a biopsy. There are glands on teh isde of teh thyroid called parathyroid glands which can develop tumours and are important in regulating bone calciium so these may be involved.
    Best advise is to wait for all the test, write down all your questionss and make sure you put them to the docs and get a clear answer you understand at the next appointment. Do let us know how things pan out and good luck,
    steve