Taxol Related Neuropathy

Options
LorettaB
LorettaB Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, Everybody! I was wondering if anyone out there has experienced severe neuropathy after Taxol treatments and how long was it before it subsided? I have read up on it through the internet...there doesn't seem to be any help for it except pain management. I have been prescribed Neurontin which doesn't help a whole lot. The possible side effects seem to bother me the most; dizziness, sleepiness, weight gain...oh, Dear God, not that again! Does anyone have any suggestions to help ease the tingling, numbness and "pins and needles" feelings? BTW, I was diagnosed with stage IIA breast cancer, 3.3 cm., sentinel node infiltration only, finished chemo 3 weeks ago, start radiation next week. Thanks in advance to all my BC brothers and sisters!

Comments

• sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Hi, try to keep your hands elevated as much as possible. Unfortunately there isnt much you can do other than take it one day at a time. It does get better, although it will always be there to some degree. Give it at least 6 months out to see any changes. It is just one of those wonderful side effects that we have to deal with. Hope this helps some.

Sassy
  • Ellison
    Ellison Member Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi Loretta

I am taking Taxol and hav Neuropathy also. My doctor recommended I take one B-6 a day for the neuropathy.

It hasen't made it go away but it is not bad either. I am still in treatment.

elli
  • LorettaB
    Options

Hi, try to keep your hands elevated as much as possible. Unfortunately there isnt much you can do other than take it one day at a time. It does get better, although it will always be there to some degree. Give it at least 6 months out to see any changes. It is just one of those wonderful side effects that we have to deal with. Hope this helps some.

Sassy

Thanks, Sassy. I guess patience is the pill I have to swallow! It's pretty rough, though, because I am on a computer all day. :)
  • LorettaB
    Options
    Ellison said:

Hi Loretta

I am taking Taxol and hav Neuropathy also. My doctor recommended I take one B-6 a day for the neuropathy.

It hasen't made it go away but it is not bad either. I am still in treatment.

elli

Thanks, Elli. I will try that. I hope your treatment goes well!
  • Kathy1108
    Kathy1108 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    LorettaB said:

Thanks, Elli. I will try that. I hope your treatment goes well!

It has been almost 2 years now for me and I still have some numbness in my toes. It makes it a little annoying when I first get out of bed, it takes a bit to steady myself before walking. My hands are back to normal though.
  • LorettaB
    Options
    Kathy1108 said:

It has been almost 2 years now for me and I still have some numbness in my toes. It makes it a little annoying when I first get out of bed, it takes a bit to steady myself before walking. My hands are back to normal though.

Thanks, Kathy, today my feet are particularly bad and it's hard to walk. It just seems to get worse and it's been almost 4 weeks since my last chemo. I am giving Neurontin another try and taking B-6.Thanks for letting me know what I might expect.
  • sarahohio
    sarahohio Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hello, I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease(inherited from Irish decent) and had terrrible pain and numbness from taxol. It is on the list of drugs CMT 's should not use, but had to try. I have been off chemo since sept 05 and pain is still here. Havent had much luck with Drs, they just give pain pills. I am on Relafin and seems to help. This disease is in the muscular distrophy catagory and alot of people have it and don't know. Yes b6 and b12 are great for nerve damage and preventing future loss.
  • criptupnana
    criptupnana Member Posts: 11
    Options
    sarahohio said:

Hello, I have Charcot Marie Tooth Disease(inherited from Irish decent) and had terrrible pain and numbness from taxol. It is on the list of drugs CMT 's should not use, but had to try. I have been off chemo since sept 05 and pain is still here. Havent had much luck with Drs, they just give pain pills. I am on Relafin and seems to help. This disease is in the muscular distrophy catagory and alot of people have it and don't know. Yes b6 and b12 are great for nerve damage and preventing future loss.

Doctors are telling me that
    Doctors are telling me that I have motor neuron disease. One of which is charcot marie tooth. I finished chemo in May 2010, had surgery and then started falling after that. The syndrome seems to be progressing, so they stopped the herceptin and the arimadex as to not further complicate the neuro diagnosis. I am hoping they diagnose this accurately in March. Doctors don't want to think that the treatments caused this, so thankyou for posting the fact that taxol could cause it. I am taking large doses of methylcobalamin b12 (15,000mcg's) and I think that I have seen some results there.Methylb12 is something new that allows the b12 to be absorbed and not pass off into the urine. This works, as I haven't had really yellow pee since I started. Normal b12 and b6 always turns my pee almost green as it is sloughed off so fast. I found it at my local health food store for about $30 for 120 pills. Also try vitamin C and curcurmin. Maybe that will help.
  • mariam_11_09
    mariam_11_09 Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Hi there. Hate to say this

Hi there. Hate to say this but neuropathy typically peeks 2 - 5 months AFTER you finish chemo. My feet after two months started getting better and my hands kept getting worse. I am 4 months out from chemo and right now with my hands the doctor's are not sure how much is carpal tunnel which started during chemo and how much is the neuropathy. I did get a steroid shot in my arm and it has helped a great deal with the tingling and pain in my hands but my finger tips are still numb. If you haven't already, you might want to talk to your Oncologist or see a neurologist to rule out any other problem that they can actually help you with.

From what I understand there is not much one can do about the neuropathy except manage the pain. I have taken all sorts of suppliments and amino acids but am not sure any of it has worked. Maybe it would have been worse had I not but I just don't know.

As for the weight gain, is it possible you have are having fluid retention or bloating? I had enormous weight after I finished chemo for up to one month and problems with fluid retention and bloating, still do but not as severe. I drink plenty of water but as soon as I get a little dehyrdrated I gain 4 - 5lbs overnight!

I also have aching joints. The orthepedic surgeon thinks it is inflammation as a result of the chemo (although I have symptoms of rheumatoid arthiritis only since finishing chemo) and this gets worse when I retain water.

One suggestions though in case you are not already doing, get as much exercise daily as possible. Even a little 2 mile walk around the block makes all of the difference. Sometimes I am in a little pain(neuropathy in the feet) and tired but I plod along with my ipod and enjoy it more as a meditation.

Good luck.