My mom's surgery

Options
themis01
themis01 Member Posts: 167
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My mom had her cytoreduction surgery on Thursday. Unfortunately she was not able to have the intraperitineal chemical wash because the cancer was worse than originally thought on her liver. Apparently she has multiple tiny implants all over her liver instead of the few tumors they thought they could remove. Anyway on the good side they unblocked her colon and cleared the whole area of cancer. They got any tumor or cancer out that could cause problems in the short-term. They did not do anything with the liver so she will be back on chemo. She is really down about this but says she wants to live and will do whatever it takes. She will start Folfiri sometime after she recovers. Anyone here have experience with this regimen? I am so upset that they couldn't do the complete surgery but glad that she has more time to keep fighting. The surgeon (Sugarbaker) said her colon was so blocked she wouldn't have made it a month. So we are thankful to be given a 2nd chance at chemo.
Erika

Comments

• goldfinch
    goldfinch Member Posts: 735
    Options
    I'm sorry about the news re your mom's liver tumors.
    I am on the folfori with avastin (well, actually I'm taking a break from it, since the tumors in my lungs have stabilized-keep fingers crossed that things look just as good or better at my next cat scan at the end of sept). Main side effects for me were fatigue and constipation followed by some diarrhea. Whether the diarrhea is a late effect from the chemo or a reaction to the stool softeners and laxatives I may never know. The bowel movements also burn on their way out, esp with the diarrhea.
    Overall, though, i think I managed it pretty well.
    Oh! And I was losing so much hair that I finally had my husband shave my head and got a wig. It never all completely fell out, but it's significantly thinner right now. Hopefully I'll have time to grow it back in a bit thicker for a while.
    I hope your mom has even less trouble with it than I did, but as I said, I think, overall the side effects are pretty manageable.
    Mary
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    goldfinch said:

I'm sorry about the news re your mom's liver tumors.
    I am on the folfori with avastin (well, actually I'm taking a break from it, since the tumors in my lungs have stabilized-keep fingers crossed that things look just as good or better at my next cat scan at the end of sept). Main side effects for me were fatigue and constipation followed by some diarrhea. Whether the diarrhea is a late effect from the chemo or a reaction to the stool softeners and laxatives I may never know. The bowel movements also burn on their way out, esp with the diarrhea.
    Overall, though, i think I managed it pretty well.
    Oh! And I was losing so much hair that I finally had my husband shave my head and got a wig. It never all completely fell out, but it's significantly thinner right now. Hopefully I'll have time to grow it back in a bit thicker for a while.
    I hope your mom has even less trouble with it than I did, but as I said, I think, overall the side effects are pretty manageable.
    Mary

I am glad you are here Erika and hopefully you can relay back to your mum that we all have her in our thoughts. I can't help re; folfiri but just wanted to say hi. You are a credit to your mum by sharing this time with us, doing all you can to help her, and yourself through this. Our very best Erika,Kanga n Jen
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi Erika,

I am sorry that your mom's surgery couldn't go as planned, but thankful that her blockage was resolved. Hopefully, the chemo will allow her to fight the liver issues. Keep us posted.

Kay
  • JKendall
    JKendall Member Posts: 186
    Options
    Hi Erika...my wife went through the folfiri treatment. Three days on a portable pump filled with the 5FU stuff, every other week. And about three hours in the doctor's office on the first day of those three-day cycles to get an infusion of the other parts of the folfiri: Leukovorin and CPT11 (or campostar or something like that).

She felt pretty nauseaus for 2-3 days afterwards each week, but never did throw-up (she probably would have felt better if she had...geez I hate that tight jaw, watering mouth feeling!). Anyway, she also lost a lot of hair, but it did not come out completely. And very, very fatigued. Constipation was also a problem, and burning when things did finally start to come out. Watch out for dehydration, too.

I hope all goes well for you and your mom. Keep in touch with us. Jimmy