Chemo and Radiation

Options
pammycake
pammycake Member Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just had a lumpectomy and was told that I would have to do chemo and radiation. I am not completely understanding. Can someone shed some light on the subject? Any information is greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Kathy1108
    Kathy1108 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    They suggest to have chemo and radiation to make sure that if there is any cancer cells in your body that those two treatments will get rid of it. I had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation in 03. If I could help you with anymore questions you have let me know.

Kathy
  • LorettaB
    LorettaB Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi, Pammycake,

Did you have lymph node involvement? If so, chemo is appropriate. My surgeon and oncologists told me that since I had microscopic metastatic cells in my sentinel node but not in any others, I had to have both. But I had an aggressive tumor 3.3 cent., HER2 neg and estrogen negative. This information is located on your final pathology report which you should have been given a copy. And from what I understand, radiation is standard on most lumpectomies. I remember one person here posted on the boards several months ago. She had a tumor "in situ", it was small, and she did not have to have chemo or radiation.

So, read that pathology report, understand it, and talk, talk, talk with your doctors. Do you have your chemo oncologist set up yet? She/He will decide on what type of chemo you should have, how long and how frequent. Once you are done with chemo, there will probably be a waiting period of a few weeks before you go on to radiation...for example, I finished chemo on July 7th, my radiation will start at the beginning of August, 6 weeks, every day, no weekends.

Many of us have suggested Dr. Susan Love's "The Breast Book" as an excellent reference and source of information on breast cancer. Also, this board has been my primary source of support from fellow BC sisters and brothers. It would have been a much rockier road if I couldn't come here to learn and vent. Many thanks to the American Cancer Socitey.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs,
    LorettaB
  • pammycake
    Options
    LorettaB said:

Hi, Pammycake,

Did you have lymph node involvement? If so, chemo is appropriate. My surgeon and oncologists told me that since I had microscopic metastatic cells in my sentinel node but not in any others, I had to have both. But I had an aggressive tumor 3.3 cent., HER2 neg and estrogen negative. This information is located on your final pathology report which you should have been given a copy. And from what I understand, radiation is standard on most lumpectomies. I remember one person here posted on the boards several months ago. She had a tumor "in situ", it was small, and she did not have to have chemo or radiation.

So, read that pathology report, understand it, and talk, talk, talk with your doctors. Do you have your chemo oncologist set up yet? She/He will decide on what type of chemo you should have, how long and how frequent. Once you are done with chemo, there will probably be a waiting period of a few weeks before you go on to radiation...for example, I finished chemo on July 7th, my radiation will start at the beginning of August, 6 weeks, every day, no weekends.

Many of us have suggested Dr. Susan Love's "The Breast Book" as an excellent reference and source of information on breast cancer. Also, this board has been my primary source of support from fellow BC sisters and brothers. It would have been a much rockier road if I couldn't come here to learn and vent. Many thanks to the American Cancer Socitey.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs,
    LorettaB

Loretta, I do hope that this finds you feeling well. Thank you so much for all of your information. I have worked in the medical profession (I did all but what the doctor and the nurse did) for over 10 years, so I kinda knew that when I started all of this something was very seriously going on.

I do not have any node involvement. I had a hysterectomy July 2004. I knew it was a GOD send, but now I really know how good it was to have it. I see the chemo doctor Monday. I was told that my cancer was a very aggressive cancer and it was very ugly under the microscope. I was told by my radiation doctor that the reason why I needed chemo and radiation was to build a foundation so that I would be less likely to have breast cancer again. She told me too that I would probably have chemo for about 3 months and then take a break and see her every day except holidays and the weekends for about 8 weeks.

I knew that I needed to get a copy of my path report. I have no idea what stage my cancer was in. My father passed away a few months ago from cancer. It started in his lungs, worked it's way to his lymph nodes and ended up on his brain. My tumor was 4.9 cm. Big sucker...hahaha. I will get the book you mentioned and read it. I know that I just started using this site last night and I already love it.

Be blessed!!

Pam
  • pammycake
    Options
    Kathy1108 said:

They suggest to have chemo and radiation to make sure that if there is any cancer cells in your body that those two treatments will get rid of it. I had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation in 03. If I could help you with anymore questions you have let me know.

Kathy

Kathy, thanks for making a post to my topic. Any information I can get just makes me more powerful. I am just in the beginning stages of treatment and am not looking forward to having chemo. I do hope that you are doing well!!

Be blessed!!

Pam
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Options
    pammycake said:

Loretta, I do hope that this finds you feeling well. Thank you so much for all of your information. I have worked in the medical profession (I did all but what the doctor and the nurse did) for over 10 years, so I kinda knew that when I started all of this something was very seriously going on.

I do not have any node involvement. I had a hysterectomy July 2004. I knew it was a GOD send, but now I really know how good it was to have it. I see the chemo doctor Monday. I was told that my cancer was a very aggressive cancer and it was very ugly under the microscope. I was told by my radiation doctor that the reason why I needed chemo and radiation was to build a foundation so that I would be less likely to have breast cancer again. She told me too that I would probably have chemo for about 3 months and then take a break and see her every day except holidays and the weekends for about 8 weeks.

I knew that I needed to get a copy of my path report. I have no idea what stage my cancer was in. My father passed away a few months ago from cancer. It started in his lungs, worked it's way to his lymph nodes and ended up on his brain. My tumor was 4.9 cm. Big sucker...hahaha. I will get the book you mentioned and read it. I know that I just started using this site last night and I already love it.

Be blessed!!

Pam

Hi Pam,

Something you might want to consider is a second opinion. A 4.9 cm tumor with no lymph node involvement I believe is a stage IIa. I would say most oncologists recommend chemo for this stage but you might get different opinions as to which combination of drugs and how often. Since you stated that knowledge = power to you (which I totally agree with) I think it would be a good idea for you. A third opinion is not out of the question either, especially if the first two differ. I wish you luck.

Susan
  • pammycake
    Options
    SusanAnne said:

Hi Pam,

Something you might want to consider is a second opinion. A 4.9 cm tumor with no lymph node involvement I believe is a stage IIa. I would say most oncologists recommend chemo for this stage but you might get different opinions as to which combination of drugs and how often. Since you stated that knowledge = power to you (which I totally agree with) I think it would be a good idea for you. A third opinion is not out of the question either, especially if the first two differ. I wish you luck.

Susan

Thanks Susan. I just may do that!!