Curious - How are all my girlfriends doing?

tkd3g
tkd3g Member Posts: 767
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Ladies? How we doing with out weight loss issues?

Hate to tell you this, but I gained a couple of pounds. This is the strangest, weirdest time of my life. I can't figure out what the hell my body is doing. Now, I exercise VERY hard 2 days this week, and moderately 2 others, watching my calories,and I step on the scale to see it go up.

I just want to say that this is NOT what I expected. Very discouraging. What the heck do I have to do to even just stop the weight gain? Forget about weight loss at this point!!!

OK, you gals should know by now that I DON'T give up. So, here is another day. Going to have my carrot, apple "juice" this morning. Salad with chicken breast for lunch. Haven't thought about dinner yet. 100 oz. of water.

I had better lose this weight soon. I am seeing numbers that I have NEVER seen before.

Any advice? Don't take this as snooty, but I know what I'm supposed to do. East fruits and veggies, watch your fat, cut out the sugar, cardio 5-6 days a week, weight training 3-4 days a week, meditation. I know the stuff.

No, I haven't incorporated every one of those items into my day, but I certainly did many more than usual this week and GAINED 3 lbs.

I just don't know what to do.

Sorry, I'm sure you gals know where I am right now. I don't mean to go on like this.

OK. I'm done with my whine. Going to make my juice now. Plan on swimming, walking, and weights today.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Barb

Comments

• Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Barb,

I am lucky in that I have never had to watch my weight. But when I hit 40, I did put on a few pounds. One day at work a couple of years ago I said I wanted to lose a few pounds. Everyone laughed because I eat lke a pig and love junk food. One week later I found out I had cancer. I lost 40 pounds during treatment and weighed 108 at my lowest. I just sent you pictures of my relay walk. (I am no longer 108.) I have gained all my weight back. Someone asked me last week if I am on medicine to gain weight. lol. My husband told me he likes my wight now. lol. I think he is just glad that I am feeling better.

Maureen
  • bsrules
    bsrules Member Posts: 296
    Barb,

Hello There!!!! I have always had to watch my weigh. I was a trim 165 for years and when I quit smoking went to 220. I was so devistated as no matter what I did I couldn't get the weight off. I was never a junk food eater. I guess I never got a taste for it as growing up we couldn't afford them. I am so grateful for that now. I lost about 60 pounds taking care of Bob and alot more after he died. I have put some of it back on but I don't think that it is from the calorie intake I think it is muscle. As I am doing things now here that I didn't do before. So don't get discouraged as with the weighs you are doing you might be building muscle. I never worried to much about the weight number I looked at inches instead. I rather have a firm body instead of being like a rail. I need to find a way to atrengthen by back muscles somehow as I am destroying it. I have always had back trouble but it has been screaming at me the last few months.

Keep up you routine. If you are feeling good that is what counts!!!!! You are doing everything the right way and in time you will see a difference. Have any suggustions for excerizes for me?

Keep up the good work!!!!

Love Always!!!

Sue
  • nettie4
    nettie4 Member Posts: 145
    hi barb. i am not good at watching my weight. everyone in my family is extremely obese i mean 400 plus. i did baloon to 186 after chemo in 99 then started working out and went down to 140. went back on chemo in 03 and onc wanted me to keep my weight up so went to 173 off chemo now and am now 163. the problem is i am only 5'1" so i am overweight. it is hard and dont be discouraged about gaining it happens when you start working out for some reason. i gained b4 i lost too. my goal is 40 but i will go back on chemo in aug so i hope to attain that. i like you dont give up easy. take care

nettie
  • drmrgirl47
    drmrgirl47 Member Posts: 129
    Hi Barb,
    I was just wondering if you are on chemo. I know when I was, I also was gaining 2 to 3 pounds per week. I am sorry to say, I am vain and never had a weight problem so this was very disconcerting to me. Anyway, when I was through with the chemo the weight came off. Some people say there are steroids in the chemo. I did ask my oncologist about this and he said no that isn't so. Who knows. I know how you must feel. You are doing all the right things with your diet. Even though I am down to my normal weight I wish I could eat and drink like you. I am such a junk food eater and hardly get down water. Take care and keep up the good diet.
  • tkd3g
    bsrules said:

Barb,

Hello There!!!! I have always had to watch my weigh. I was a trim 165 for years and when I quit smoking went to 220. I was so devistated as no matter what I did I couldn't get the weight off. I was never a junk food eater. I guess I never got a taste for it as growing up we couldn't afford them. I am so grateful for that now. I lost about 60 pounds taking care of Bob and alot more after he died. I have put some of it back on but I don't think that it is from the calorie intake I think it is muscle. As I am doing things now here that I didn't do before. So don't get discouraged as with the weighs you are doing you might be building muscle. I never worried to much about the weight number I looked at inches instead. I rather have a firm body instead of being like a rail. I need to find a way to atrengthen by back muscles somehow as I am destroying it. I have always had back trouble but it has been screaming at me the last few months.

Keep up you routine. If you are feeling good that is what counts!!!!! You are doing everything the right way and in time you will see a difference. Have any suggustions for excerizes for me?

Keep up the good work!!!!

Love Always!!!

Sue

Hi Sue.

Be careful with back exercises if you already have a bad back.

Equally important when dealing with the back are your abs. Strong stomach - strong back.

Make sure you stretch out your back, slowly. Warm it up befoe doing anything. Steady, NO bouncing.

I'll give you this web site that has nice exercise for the back, but..I caution you to talk to your doc before doing them. I don't know the extent of your pain or injury.

Here it is:

http://www.nismat.org/orthocor/programs/lowback.html

These are primarily for the lower back. Is that where you hurt?

Barb
  • tkd3g
    nettie4 said:

hi barb. i am not good at watching my weight. everyone in my family is extremely obese i mean 400 plus. i did baloon to 186 after chemo in 99 then started working out and went down to 140. went back on chemo in 03 and onc wanted me to keep my weight up so went to 173 off chemo now and am now 163. the problem is i am only 5'1" so i am overweight. it is hard and dont be discouraged about gaining it happens when you start working out for some reason. i gained b4 i lost too. my goal is 40 but i will go back on chemo in aug so i hope to attain that. i like you dont give up easy. take care

nettie

Thanks Nettie.

I'm off chemo now for almost 4 months. I seemed to start gaining in my last 3-4 weeks on chemo. AND...it never stopped.

I'm still plugging. I won't give up.

BArb
  • tkd3g

Hi Barb,
    I was just wondering if you are on chemo. I know when I was, I also was gaining 2 to 3 pounds per week. I am sorry to say, I am vain and never had a weight problem so this was very disconcerting to me. Anyway, when I was through with the chemo the weight came off. Some people say there are steroids in the chemo. I did ask my oncologist about this and he said no that isn't so. Who knows. I know how you must feel. You are doing all the right things with your diet. Even though I am down to my normal weight I wish I could eat and drink like you. I am such a junk food eater and hardly get down water. Take care and keep up the good diet.

Hi drmrgirl.

I actually did get some steroids with my chemo, but only 4 treatments. I can't think that had anything to do with my weight gain. Although, it may have effected others.

As I replied to Nettie, I have been off chemo for about 4 months now.

I guess the old bod has just changed. I have the metabolism of a rock.

Barb
  • tkd3g
    Moesimo said:

Barb,

I am lucky in that I have never had to watch my weight. But when I hit 40, I did put on a few pounds. One day at work a couple of years ago I said I wanted to lose a few pounds. Everyone laughed because I eat lke a pig and love junk food. One week later I found out I had cancer. I lost 40 pounds during treatment and weighed 108 at my lowest. I just sent you pictures of my relay walk. (I am no longer 108.) I have gained all my weight back. Someone asked me last week if I am on medicine to gain weight. lol. My husband told me he likes my wight now. lol. I think he is just glad that I am feeling better.

Maureen

Hi Maureen,

It's true. We're "healthier" because we are treating the cancer. I'd rather be fat and cancer free than, thin and full of cancer.

Barb ( I don't think I would ever ask someone if they were taking medicine to gain weight!!!)
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • CAMaura
    CAMaura Member Posts: 719 Member
    Hang in there, Barb. You know.....you mentioned being an "all or nothin" gal....so I can understand your frustration. Maybe it feels as if your body has a mind of its own....maybe it IS reacting in a way which makes little sense to you right now. I hev heeard of bodies hoarding - like in a compensatory mode. Who knows? Has the Suzanne Sommers book helped much? And would you recommend it?

Anyway, this sounds very pedantic - but at least you are enjoying the process (of everything except seeing the scale go in the wrong direction).

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
    Maura

You know thr drill about muscle weight....heavier.....blah,blah. Do you think that could be a bit of it too? maybe you are just in such damn good shape that you don't know it!!! Take Care.
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Hi Barb,
    I'm sorry that you are having such a frustrating time with weight. You sound really motivated! I'm sure that you will succeed. I have been totally unmotivated about losing weight which I really need to change. I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon last week and thought for sure he would say something, but he didn't say a word about my weight. He did say things looked good and that I don't have to see him again unless there is a problem. Yeah!
    Maybe we could get some kind of weight loss support system going. I have a daughter getting married next April and want to lose some weight before the wedding.
    Jamie
  • tkd3g
    CAMaura said:

Hang in there, Barb. You know.....you mentioned being an "all or nothin" gal....so I can understand your frustration. Maybe it feels as if your body has a mind of its own....maybe it IS reacting in a way which makes little sense to you right now. I hev heeard of bodies hoarding - like in a compensatory mode. Who knows? Has the Suzanne Sommers book helped much? And would you recommend it?

Anyway, this sounds very pedantic - but at least you are enjoying the process (of everything except seeing the scale go in the wrong direction).

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,
    Maura

You know thr drill about muscle weight....heavier.....blah,blah. Do you think that could be a bit of it too? maybe you are just in such damn good shape that you don't know it!!! Take Care.

Hi Maura.

Let's see..."in such damn good shape that you don't know it?"

I don't think so. When you jump in a pool as fast as you can because it's daylight and you have to climb a four foot ladder ( above ground pool) exposing your lovely bod to anyone in a 3 mile radius, not realizing or caringthat the water could possibly be, lets say, frigid, that is when you know you are NOT in damn good shape.
    :)

I actually did that today.

I actually like the Suzanne Sommers book. I don't do her way of eating, but I really related to what she went thru with the menopause.

I'd like to think I'm just ripping up some muscle under this flab, but I don't know. I'll think that way for a while and see where it gets me. I'll try not to get on the scale for a week.

Colonoscopy tomorrow. At least that should be a"light" day.

Thanks Maura. Have a wonderful weekend.

Barb
  • tkd3g
    crazylady said:

Hi Barb,
    I'm sorry that you are having such a frustrating time with weight. You sound really motivated! I'm sure that you will succeed. I have been totally unmotivated about losing weight which I really need to change. I had a follow up appointment with my surgeon last week and thought for sure he would say something, but he didn't say a word about my weight. He did say things looked good and that I don't have to see him again unless there is a problem. Yeah!
    Maybe we could get some kind of weight loss support system going. I have a daughter getting married next April and want to lose some weight before the wedding.
    Jamie

Hi Jamie.

Congratulations to you. I can't wait for the doc to tell me that.

I would love to be part of a weight loss support thingy. I'm not that computer savy, but I could figure something out.

What did you have in mind? An e-mail type of thing? Let me know.

Barb
  • tkd3g
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Hi Babs.

You know, I haven't tried the South Beach Diet. I have to tell you that I don't "do" too many diets. I did Atkins when it first came out. But by far, the best program I ever did was Body For Life. That is where I find myself everytime I get serious about getting in shape. I am going to start that on Tuesday ( after the scope, Monday). It is a great program that incorporated weights, cardio and a balanced diet of 6 meals a day with equal portions of carbs and protein. Including healthy fats at all those meals. Of course, the meals arenot huge, but quite good.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Barb ( I know what you mean about the eating healthy. Took me 3 months before I could eat a salad without dire consequences)
  • CAMaura
    tkd3g said:

Hi Maura.

Let's see..."in such damn good shape that you don't know it?"

I don't think so. When you jump in a pool as fast as you can because it's daylight and you have to climb a four foot ladder ( above ground pool) exposing your lovely bod to anyone in a 3 mile radius, not realizing or caringthat the water could possibly be, lets say, frigid, that is when you know you are NOT in damn good shape.
    :)

I actually did that today.

I actually like the Suzanne Sommers book. I don't do her way of eating, but I really related to what she went thru with the menopause.

I'd like to think I'm just ripping up some muscle under this flab, but I don't know. I'll think that way for a while and see where it gets me. I'll try not to get on the scale for a week.

Colonoscopy tomorrow. At least that should be a"light" day.

Thanks Maura. Have a wonderful weekend.

Barb

You got inthe water! More than I was able to accomplish today....

Don't worry - that lovely colonoscopy prep will help you drop a few lbs......

Best of luck with it and do post your positive (I am sure) results!!

I have a new idea for a colon bracelet color .....on the other post; you'll have to compare my twisted version to the Sponge's.
  • crazylady
    crazylady Member Posts: 543 Member
    Barb,
    Some kind of e-mail thing would be great. I'm computer clueless, so the simpler, the better. I saw your post about leaving the guys out. They could be a part of it too. I can use all the help that I can get!
    Jamie
  • tkd3g
    CAMaura said:

You got inthe water! More than I was able to accomplish today....

Don't worry - that lovely colonoscopy prep will help you drop a few lbs......

Best of luck with it and do post your positive (I am sure) results!!

I have a new idea for a colon bracelet color .....on the other post; you'll have to compare my twisted version to the Sponge's.

Hey Maura, they make marblized ones. I like that idea. But how many others, agree?

Barb
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    tkd3g said:

Hey Maura, they make marblized ones. I like that idea. But how many others, agree?

Barb

Just for the record here... My recommendation was for white with a brown stripe (reminiscent of...) not the other way around.

I have seen brown/white marbled bracelets, but they are really - and appropriately so - already bearing a patriotic theme for our troops over in the sandbox - the marbling adopts the appearance of desert cammo.

Cheers!

- Sponge
  • CAMaura
    spongebob said:

Just for the record here... My recommendation was for white with a brown stripe (reminiscent of...) not the other way around.

I have seen brown/white marbled bracelets, but they are really - and appropriately so - already bearing a patriotic theme for our troops over in the sandbox - the marbling adopts the appearance of desert cammo.

Cheers!

- Sponge

What would we'all do with out you....you fountain of info?
    I wouldn't want to steal any thunder from the boys and girls serving for us.....
    You go right into production.
    -the pink lady
  • CAMaura
    tkd3g said:

Barb

Agree....and I still like the idea of a fun one with silver, gold and stones of some sort.....
    Saw some neat ideas in a Sundance catalog that arrived yesterday.