Need Your help

Options
Beci
Beci Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi all....am sending this out in desperation, my husband 42 diagnosed with colon cancer with mets to lining of stomach wall...tell us no cure, it has been a year, was doing well, came back with in 6mths, is now experiencing 2nd bowel obstruction, kidney functions are too high to continue his chemo (oxaliplatin). They tell me not many options are left for him......I have 4 small children and am not ready to tell them their father is dying.....we are from Canada, can any one suggest where or what would be the best option as to where I should get another opinion, or what I should do......please help..if you can......

Thanks Beci from Ontario

Comments

• tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Options
    Hi Beci.

Sorry you guys are having a tough time. I don't know the Canadian area, but we have many here that do. I'm sure they can help you.

But, definately get a second and third and fourth opinion if you need it. Many here have been told to get their affairs in order and are still here, living.

Don't give up because of what some doctor says. They don't know what is in store for you and your husband.

Best of luck to you.

Ok Semi-Colons, lets give Beci some help.

Barb
  • oneagleswings
    oneagleswings Member Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Hi Beci:
    Not sure where in Ontario you are from but you can try 1) Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto 2) there is a clinic in Toronto called the Rudd Clinic that specializes in Colon related disease and they may have some suggestions

I'm sure others will tell you about the book A Cancer Battle Plan and you can get it at Coles or Chapters.

You'll find lots of suggestions and ideas on this board- it is fantastic and has helped me through the past year with my husband's Stage 111-
    Bev
  • HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Options
    I would suggest looking into clinical trials. Some good web sites to locate:
    clinicaltrials.gov (US FDA)
    CenterWatch.com
    This ACS website has links to something called EmergingMed which helps patients find appropriate trials.
    Good luck.
    Howard
  • themis01
    themis01 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Beci,
    Sloan-Kettering in New York and Washington Hospital Center in DC both have surgeons that can operate on the area that your husband has cancer. I would seek a second opinion without delay. Do not wait time is VERY important.
    Erika
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    themis01 said:

Beci,
    Sloan-Kettering in New York and Washington Hospital Center in DC both have surgeons that can operate on the area that your husband has cancer. I would seek a second opinion without delay. Do not wait time is VERY important.
    Erika

Hi Beci. I am in OZ so can't be of any help except to say that we are praying and hoping that your hubby find the care and help he needs.
    We are one family with a common ground Beci and we are here for you. love, kanga and Jen
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Beci,
    I can't tell you about Canadian Docs but I know that Dana Farber in Boston MA is a leader in cancer treatment hear on the East Coast. We have Johns Hopkins in Baltimore as well.
    Time is very important so whatever you choose to do, make it quick.
    Contact a Doc directly and ask what your options are. Most hospitals maintain websites that list Physicians by name and specialty. I am sure you will find someone to help. That is how I contacted Dana Farber.
    Good Luck and God bless you and your family. Let us know how things are going.
    Love,
    Taunya