Nutrition Help

Options
LorettaB
LorettaB Member Posts: 51
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, Everyone,

I am sure a lot of you heard the news a couple of weeks ago suggesting a link between fat intake and reoccurence.

I was hoping that I could get some suggestions regarding reduction in fat intake...any cookbooks that anyone can recommend or any "cancer nutrition manuals" you would like to share.

In addition, I want you all to know how extremely helpful and supportive you have been since I was diagnosed in February. My prognosis is excellent. I start Taxol this week, then onto radiation.

Loretta

Comments

• lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Options
    Sounds like you are through with the worst of the old cancer treatment. I felt three years ago it was very necessary to reduce fat in our diet. I had breast cancer treatment in 2002 and husband followed with prostate cancer. There has been for many years a great deal of study on prostate cancer and a high fat diet. Since husband had a advanced cancer radiation was his only treatment and not considered a cure. I started studying what we could do with a ND Dr. Reducing fat was not difficult at all, all meat is high in fat, as are processed foods, diary likewise but for skim milk. All fruits and vegetables are low but for a couple. Nuts are high but necessary if you are eating no meat. We do eat fish and eggs off and on. As far as books on low fat meals there should be plenty of them with everyone on a diet in this land. All of our food that is processed has the fat contents on the labels. Cancer nutrition manuals probably haven't been written yet as until very recently not much has been studied on diet and cancer except on prostate cancer. We need to stop destroying our land, water and air and we would all be much healthier. Take care God Bless. Linda
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    lindatn said:

Sounds like you are through with the worst of the old cancer treatment. I felt three years ago it was very necessary to reduce fat in our diet. I had breast cancer treatment in 2002 and husband followed with prostate cancer. There has been for many years a great deal of study on prostate cancer and a high fat diet. Since husband had a advanced cancer radiation was his only treatment and not considered a cure. I started studying what we could do with a ND Dr. Reducing fat was not difficult at all, all meat is high in fat, as are processed foods, diary likewise but for skim milk. All fruits and vegetables are low but for a couple. Nuts are high but necessary if you are eating no meat. We do eat fish and eggs off and on. As far as books on low fat meals there should be plenty of them with everyone on a diet in this land. All of our food that is processed has the fat contents on the labels. Cancer nutrition manuals probably haven't been written yet as until very recently not much has been studied on diet and cancer except on prostate cancer. We need to stop destroying our land, water and air and we would all be much healthier. Take care God Bless. Linda

I echo LindaTN's advice. Very sound.

You may benefit from a consult with a nutritionist.

Sometimes, we can become so focused on one aspect of our diets (such as eliminating fats or carbs, for example) we can forget that we need to have balance. Very important. If you give up the not-
    so-good-for-you foods, which are high in fat content, then it's important to make sure you get adequate proteins, iron, etc. (and remember we all need some fats in our diets). A good nutritionist can help you to avoid becoming depleted in any particular area, by providing you a good meal plan in addition to recommending any supplements which may be helpful to you. And as Linda and her husband did, consult with an ND, if available in your area. NOT ENOUGH OF THESE GUYS AROUND REALLY!

"Cancer nutrition manual"...now there's an idea many would like to see available! LOL
    Seriously, a nutritionist or ND can tailor a sound and balanced diet for you and they know all about the foods and/or supplements considered to be anti-cancer as well as foods which boost your immune system, etc..

Best wishes to you. Eat well in good health.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi,
    Before my diagnosis I was a "lifer" on Weight Watchers. That means I had lost my weight and was keeping it off(for several years)Weight Watchers has lots of good cookbooks, most recipes are very low fat and high in fiber, with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Also new ways to make old-fashioned high fat recipes healthier. I would look for them on Ebay - they can be expensive thru Weight Watchers.
    jill
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    jdubious said:

Hi,
    Before my diagnosis I was a "lifer" on Weight Watchers. That means I had lost my weight and was keeping it off(for several years)Weight Watchers has lots of good cookbooks, most recipes are very low fat and high in fiber, with lots of fresh fruit and veggies. Also new ways to make old-fashioned high fat recipes healthier. I would look for them on Ebay - they can be expensive thru Weight Watchers.
    jill

Good topic and good advise! I always said I was under 40 when diagnosed, breast fed my kids, non-smoker and no family history of breast cancer. My only risk factor was a high fat diet. That was before they were even saying anything about our diets. They still don't say much!
    You need about 25% of your diet to be fat, but avoid the hydrogenated trans fatty acids. You know margerine is like one hydrogenated carbon from being plastic. How's that for sounding healthy?! YUCK!
    Also, don't microwave plastics (containers or wrap) it breaks down into dioxin a cancer causing byproduct. This also applies to freezing in plastic.
    Avoid sugar, cokes, chocolate, etc. Cancer feeds off of sugar.
    Eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies. Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower helps prevent breast cancer and makes tamoxifen work about 30% better.
    Last thing, I cook with olive oil as it too helps prevent breast cancer.
    Hope this helps some.
    hummingbyrd
  • LorettaB
    LorettaB Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks, Everybody, for the help. I did find a sort of "manual" called "The Cancer Nutrition Center Handbook" from cancernutrition.com. Some great recipes and lots of info on cancer-preventative foods.

BTW, everybody kept telling me the A/C was the worst part of the chemo I was on but I have to tell you, this Taxol stuff had me on my back for 3 days...the pain was constant. Hopefully, this will ease up. Many Thanks!