Going in for Implant Reconstruction

ccalato
ccalato Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi all. I hope someone out there has some information for me. I have decided after 8 years to have a saline implant. I am going in tomorrow for the first stage which is the insertion of the tissue expander. I Previously had a mastectomy which removed all the tissue from my left breast.I have been through 5 previous operations, but some have told me that there is no way I will return to work in just a few days. i am having the outpatient procedure on Wed and plan to return to work on Monday. Can someone let me know how painful this procedure will be? I am very anxious. Thanks to all who take the time to respond.

Comments

• horselovr
    horselovr Member Posts: 2
    Hi there! I had my tissue expander put in at the same time as my mastectomy, so I didn't have a second surgery to put it in at the mastectomy site, but I was pretty sore for a good week! Think you may want to take a whole week off from work unless you have a very high pain tolerance. Hope that answers your question. I am almost thru with my expansion--one more saline infusion to go! You will go in every 2 wks for infusions of various amounts, depending on how busty you want to be to match your other side! Please feel free to email me back with any other questions. Donna
  • Future
    Future Member Posts: 133 Member
    What did your surgeon tell you? I would say plan to be out of work 1-2 weeks but everyone's different. My surgeon was adamant about my staying out of work or said he'd readmit me to the hospital. When he actually does the implants he said the pocket will be well healed and should only be out of work for a week or so.

Hope this info helps.
  • tlsmith2
    tlsmith2 Member Posts: 3
    I had my expander put in after I finished 6 months of chemo. My doctor kept telling me I would need someone to help me after the surgery, I thought he was overly pressing the issue. THank GOD I had my mom and my husband to help me. It was MORE painful than having my complete breast removed. I am not a baby about pain so I thought I would be fine. If you have not had it done yet, make sure you have someone available to help you. My surgery was done on outpatient basis. I could not imagine that they dont want to keep a person after that. Good Luck, all is well now. I have had it in since Dec 2004 to date. I am trying to lose weight before the final implant is put in. I am having my left breast reduced to match the implanted side. So if I lose weight afterwards, I am going to be lop-sided (if there is such a word) Anyway, I wish you well and keep in mind everyone IS NOT the same.