Re: hot flashes

hounddog
hounddog Member Posts: 115
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello My name is Marilyn and I'm wondering if any one has problems with hot flashes if so what can a person take if your doctor can't put you on anything because they are afraid it will bring your cancer back. I had cancer two years ago in February and went through a total of 4 chemo treatments and I have horrible hot flashes and I still get tired very easy is that normal also.
Marilyn

Comments

• mssue
    mssue Member Posts: 242
    Hi Marilyn,
    Haven't seen You post in a while,good to see You're still around. I took Evening Primrose Oil,Wal Mart is pretty reasonably priced, or check out Your local GNC ,usually the people there are pretty knowledgeable about the different supplements. I did a little research on supplements to make sure my regiment of meds and supplements didn't clash.I want to be as healthy as possible not cause something else to go wrong. I have this book called the Natural Health Bible,I've had it for years and just came across it a few months ago-I'm sure there's a newer version out there somewhere.It still has alot of good information in it.

I hope You find something that works for You. Take care.
    Sue
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Hi Marilyn:

Some women have had success with Vitamin E. Another option to consider is Remifemin. The manufacturer has a website for the latter: www.remifemin.com You may find the info there useful. It contains no plant estrogens/soy, etc. but can take up to 8 weeks to become fully effective. Check with your doctor about it.

Soy is said to be helpful in some cases but is considered a no-no by most health care professionals, once we've had bc. I'd advise
    speaking with your doc about anything before you give it a go.

Some of the OTC remedies contain phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) which many docs also consider a no-no for those of us with a bc history. I've spoken with other women who received the same advice from their doctors, so research carefully and hoping you find something which is helpful to you.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • ccalato
    ccalato Member Posts: 3
    Hi Marilyn. I had a double whammy, a hysterectomy immediately following my mastectomy. I had major hot flashes was tired and irritable all the time and cried at the drop of a pin. My general practictioner as well as my oncologist both reccomended a very small dose of effexor. Effexor is also an anti depressent so I did not want to take it. But, when it got to the point that I was waking up soaking wet and miserable I decided to go ahead with it. The results were amazing! I sleep well and I am only on the lowest dose possible 37.5. You might want to check this out with your oncologist. Good luck!
  • AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    My best friend had breast cancer and was free for 18 years and had bad hot flashes. She started hormone pills at her Dr. request. Bad mistake. The cancer is back in the lung and now in the bone. Hot flashes you can live with.
  • JKAlley
    JKAlley Member Posts: 84

My best friend had breast cancer and was free for 18 years and had bad hot flashes. She started hormone pills at her Dr. request. Bad mistake. The cancer is back in the lung and now in the bone. Hot flashes you can live with.

Effexor worked well for me too, kinda was an emotional flat line while I was on it, but it was MUCH better than the hot flashes and night sweats.
  • doc424
    doc424 Member Posts: 10
    Hello Marilyn.There is a good response with Buspirone HCL(Bespar,Buspar)in 4-6 weeks,without the side effects of the antidepressants.Its metabolized by CYP2D6,so there's no interact with antiestrogens (CYP3A4)