Up Coming Surgery...

Options
BusterBrown
BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hey Gang:o)
I met with my surgeon and ONC on Wed & Thurs and we've decided it's time I go under the knife and become a semicolon, May 24th. To refresh memories, I was diagnosed in Dec 04 w/ CRC and liver mets. The primary tumor, 2.5cm is in my sigmoid colon approximately 20cm from the end, I have/had 3 lesions on my liver about 1cm and liver resection is not an option. I've been on the folfox regimen since Jan, I completed my 8th cycle last week . After the 3rd cycle I had a ct and it showed that the lesions on my liver were no longer visable, 2 wks ago I had PETScan done and it confirmed what the ct scan show, no visable sign liver lesions.The primary tumor has shrunk to just under 2.0 cm. All and all great results. Having never had surgery I'm a little freaked out about all of this, but what choice do I have...Anyone have any advice??? Anyone want to share their resection surgery experiences??? Please do...
Thanks...
Buster

Comments

• jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hi Buster, What good news! I had my resection in Dec '03. One 1 cm polyp about 10 inches in with surgery (1 positive node)than chemo. Funny, but since I have had surgery before, it didn't seem too scary, but the chemo terrified me! It's pretty normal to be scared, but it is a pretty routine surgery for your doc. Most folks do well.
    One piece of advice is to pay attention to post op pain control...take whatever works and don't let the pain get ahead of you; it helps so much with recovery. I had an epidural in addition to general anesthetic, and they left the epidural in for 3 days post op. I thought it was a miracle to wake up with no pain, just a kind of dull soreness. If that is an option for you, you may want to consider it.
    You've come a great distance in knocking out this beast; best of luck on the next step, I'm sure it will go well, too. Let us know when you have the surgery scheduled. Judy
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Hi Buster,

I second what Judith said. I had my surgery in Dec. '02 and had about 1/3 of my colon removed. I also had an epidural and experienced very little pain. It helps the healing process tremendously.

You'll have a souvenir scar that is several inches long, but I consider mine a trophy for fighting a tough battle and winning.

Congrats on the results of the CT scan and PET scan. That is very encouraging. This battle can be won and I think you are on your way.

Congratulations also on becoming a "semi-colon"!

Kerry
  • Btrcup
    Btrcup Member Posts: 286
    Options
    Buster, great news! My hubby went through 2 surgeries. The first he was on morphine IV and then to pills. The second he had the epidural. What a difference! He said the epidural should have been done the first time!

Good luck to you.

Linda (Baltimore)
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Btrcup said:

Buster, great news! My hubby went through 2 surgeries. The first he was on morphine IV and then to pills. The second he had the epidural. What a difference! He said the epidural should have been done the first time!

Good luck to you.

Linda (Baltimore)

Hi Buster,

Congratulations on the chemo working so well. My cancer was in my sigmoid also. It was contained to the polyp, but 3 out of 31 lymph nodes were involved. The hospital stay was for five days and I was out shopping and driving on day 6. (With my doctor's permission!) However, in hindsight, I probably overdid. Take it easy and let others help you out.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Kay
  • themis01
    themis01 Member Posts: 167
    Options
    Buster sounds like you are really do a great job beating this thing. Congrats on the PET scan results. Keep Fighting!! People like you help me to inspire my mom that she will beat it too!
    Erika
  • HowardJ
    HowardJ Member Posts: 474
    Options
    Buster,
    Congratulations on beating the liver mets. As for the surgrey, we've all been through it and I agree with what the others said about pain control. I did not have the epidural but was controlled with pain meds. Don't hesitate to ask for pain meds post op. It actually helps the healing. You'll also have tubes going in and coming out of you. They're a bit uncomfortable so be prepared for it. Try to walk as soon as able--it will be difficult at first but try. When you're home from the hospital, continue to walk as much as your body will allow. It will get better. I'm back hiking 7 miles 4 months after surgery but it was difficult at first.
    Good luck!
    Howard
  • johnom
    johnom Member Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You are really waging war the right way!! Congratulations! The surgery is doable, too. Everyone's advice is as usual excellent. Get an epidural block if you possibly can. They leave it in a few days and the real pain isn't memorable. You will have an NG tube, a drain in the side, a catheter, IV's though your port or arm or both, leggings that expand and contract to keep you from blood clots. Take all the pain meds you want and can stand for a while and just let yourself heal. I was at my lake house ll days post op, moving slowly, but nonetheless I was there. My tumor was about 8 inches in, which is great for avoiding a colostomy. For me the worst part of the recovery was the NG tube..I hated it, but learned to live with it.
    When you get home be prepared for a long period of weird BM's, usually in "clusters", where you go so often you lose count after 30 or 35. Keep some desitin handy, take a lot of baths, use metamucil for bulk in your stools to slow them down and remember, there is eventually an end to this. We, the semi-colons, have all been there in some form or fashion. Congratulations, again!!

john
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    Hi Buster,
    Excellent news on the disappearing liver lesions and the success of the chemo! It is normal to be apprehensive about the surgery. It will be fine. I can only repeat what several others have said: (1) make sure you get adequate pain relief -- this can greatly aid recovery (b) get up and walking early -- and keep walking as much as you can -- I believe this can also aid recovery (c) accept that full recovery will take some time. Be kind to yourself in this regard. I was walking on the track the day after I came back from the hospital (OK, slowly -- and not very far -- but it sure felt good!).
    Tara
  • rejoyous
    rejoyous Member Posts: 259
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS on those great results!

My recovery from surgery was greatly helped by walking. I tried to walk two hours a day in the hospital (shuffling along with my IV pole). The walking is easier and more pleasant with company, so maybe you can get some people lined up to help you. One reason it's easier with company is that you have an IV and also need to grip your stomach with a rolled up towel or a pillow or something to take the place of the muscle that's been damaged. So it's easier to have another hand along for the ride.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    rejoyous said:

CONGRATULATIONS on those great results!

My recovery from surgery was greatly helped by walking. I tried to walk two hours a day in the hospital (shuffling along with my IV pole). The walking is easier and more pleasant with company, so maybe you can get some people lined up to help you. One reason it's easier with company is that you have an IV and also need to grip your stomach with a rolled up towel or a pillow or something to take the place of the muscle that's been damaged. So it's easier to have another hand along for the ride.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

Ditto to all of the above Buster. Although colon surgery is a common procedure still be aware that it is a very major surgery so do not become complacent with it in respect to instructions given by the doc's and nurses re your rehabilitation. Good pain management and gradually increasing walking activities will help you heal faster. When you return home be sure to take things easy and follow your post op instructions. I was told to "do what you can, when you can".....do not try and overdo things!
    I had some serious complications with my epidural(it didn't work) yet the chap in the bed next to me said he had almost no pain at all.(I was kinda like the 1 in 1000 where the epidural failed)
    Another friend of mine had 2 ops....one with general anaesthetic, one an epidural....he said the epidural was the way to go!
    Pain management these days is a high priority. The thinking being that keeping the pain to a minimum speeds up the healing process. Post surgery you should be reasonably comfortable Buster, never think you need to battle thru any pain...always ask for something to help. I was scared to death of having surgery but apart from the anaesthetic foulup(which very rarely happens) the aftermath of the surgery was really easier than I expected. Now that I have been there once Buster I would not be so frightened by having to do it again if needs be(hope I don't need to)
    So good luck Buster, try not to worry too much, you will be fine!
    If you need any info let us know mate.
    luv n huggs, kanga n Jen

ps..the comment about the epidural not working I could have left out...just being honest. Everyone has different experiences.
  • tkd3g
    tkd3g Member Posts: 767
    Options
    Hey Buster.

I can only repeat what the others have said. Epidural, Epidural, Epidural.
    Walk, Walk and Walk some more. ( they won't let you out of the hospital till you "poop") And walking will help that along.

I was feeling good enough to get out by my 7th day or so, but my body wouldn't "produce" till the 9th or so.( honestly, it's all a big blur to me, now)

Anywho, my point is, to walk as soon and as much as you can , comfortably. Helps get those healthy juices going in your bod again.

I found that a really comfortable recliner was my bed for a couple of days, when I came home. Easier to get up and down, too.

The bathroom will be your friend....close friend. Invest in a nice cosy soft seat. Your buns will thank you for it.

Will be sending prayers your way on the 24th.

Love to you,

Barb
  • BusterBrown
    BusterBrown Member Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    tkd3g said:

Hey Buster.

I can only repeat what the others have said. Epidural, Epidural, Epidural.
    Walk, Walk and Walk some more. ( they won't let you out of the hospital till you "poop") And walking will help that along.

I was feeling good enough to get out by my 7th day or so, but my body wouldn't "produce" till the 9th or so.( honestly, it's all a big blur to me, now)

Anywho, my point is, to walk as soon and as much as you can , comfortably. Helps get those healthy juices going in your bod again.

I found that a really comfortable recliner was my bed for a couple of days, when I came home. Easier to get up and down, too.

The bathroom will be your friend....close friend. Invest in a nice cosy soft seat. Your buns will thank you for it.

Will be sending prayers your way on the 24th.

Love to you,

Barb

Thank you everyone for the encouraging words and advice. I will insist on an epideral and I will walk as much as I can.
    I wish you well...
    Buster