Groin injuries

Options
stevev
stevev Member Posts: 8
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I had radiation this time last year to my rectal region and ever since my groin muscles have been getting steadily worse.I also had surgery in June and had my rectum removed. Could either of these caused the problem ? Also what can I do to get them back to normal ? I'm 43 yrs. old and have always been fairly active.

Comments

• Shandle
    Shandle Member Posts: 204
    Options
    Hi Steve.. I think your question is one that your Dr. could answer. Secondary problems are always possible with surgeries. Not sure about the radiation. You might be able to strengthen your muscles with exercise. There might be others here that could offer more info than me, but I'd check with your Dr. Hugggs ~ Wanda
  • MJay
    MJay Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Hi Steve~

In June of last year I had radiation for rectal ca and in Sept had the rectum et al removed. Before being diagnosed I was on an exercise program with a stretching program three times a week. I have never been a very flexible program but I did notice a huge difference.

Just this past February, after completing all treatments and feeling more like my old self, I started back at the gym doing the same old stuff. But BOY! My body was not the same.

If I thought I was inflexible before, I was in for a huge shock now. It all stems from the groin region. I am so stiff in that area that it absolutely has to be from the radiation. To back this theory, when women go through radiation to their pelvic regions, there is a chance of constriction of the vaginal tissues and a dialator is employed to re-stretch those muscles. If it can happen to vaginal tissue it is my contention that it can happen to other tissue and muscles.

I would suggest talking to your dr but it is my guess that a regimen of stretching will get you back to your old self. I have noticed huge improvements since I started in Feb.

MJay