Missing some radiation treatment.

Options
Nickeming
Nickeming Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi, I have 20 more radiation treatment to my left breast. they took a very tiny canerous tumor out dec 22., the lymph nodes where clear. bone scan clear and chest x-ray. they say i have a 5%chance of it reacuring. so my problem is this. I have treatments everyday m-f.i have had 15 treatments so far. they are making me tired. but the bigger problem is by thur my breast is very red. hurts and I just can't go back in again fri to hurt it more. so right now i go mon - thur. for me this seems to help me recover so i can go back mon. I did go one week solid and by fri night , sat and sun i was in bed or felt lousy. Has any of you had this problem . I don't want to compromise my treatment. but i want to get through this with a breast looking like a breast. Does any one know how missing one treatment a week affects the outcome. I will talk to my Dr. I have treid, so far they say WELL THE FULL 5 DAYS IS THE BEST. but they won't give me the true picture. it is like they are not listening to my concern. If i had a known active cancer I might put up with the pain and peeling to save the breast and my life. I want the weekend to be at least somewhat active with my husband. and i know it won't if i go all 5 days. Hope you can get what im saying. Sure would appreciate some help. or direction. God bless you all. you have helped me many time in the past.
marliece

Comments

• sostendorf
    sostendorf Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Marliece,

First off, congratulations on catching the cancer early! As my oncologist explained it to me, because you had no lymph node involvement and clear margins when removing the tumor your chances of a recurrance are significantly minimized. The radiation treatments are as much a precaution as a treatment. I'm assuming you have both a medical oncologist and a radiation oncologist. Discuss your concerns with both of them. If you were originally scheduled to have 35 radiation treatments, you will still get 35 treatments--they will just be spread out over more days. I wouldn't think that would make a lot of difference. The important thing is to give your body the time it needs to heal between treatments. My radiation oncologist explained to me that that is why they don't do rads seven days a week; they want to give it time off to minimize side affects. Your body just needs three days instead of two. Again, discuss it with your doctors. If they both agree that your way, although not their idea of ideal, will still get the job done, I wouldn't get too alarmed. -Sandy
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Options

Marliece,

First off, congratulations on catching the cancer early! As my oncologist explained it to me, because you had no lymph node involvement and clear margins when removing the tumor your chances of a recurrance are significantly minimized. The radiation treatments are as much a precaution as a treatment. I'm assuming you have both a medical oncologist and a radiation oncologist. Discuss your concerns with both of them. If you were originally scheduled to have 35 radiation treatments, you will still get 35 treatments--they will just be spread out over more days. I wouldn't think that would make a lot of difference. The important thing is to give your body the time it needs to heal between treatments. My radiation oncologist explained to me that that is why they don't do rads seven days a week; they want to give it time off to minimize side affects. Your body just needs three days instead of two. Again, discuss it with your doctors. If they both agree that your way, although not their idea of ideal, will still get the job done, I wouldn't get too alarmed. -Sandy

Hi Marliece,

I believe I read on the breastcancer.org website that you would have to have missed radiation for longer than 8 days in order for it to have a negative impact. Sandy is right, your missed days will just get tacked on to the end. If you have found that this is what works for you, I'd say stick with it and I applaud you for speaking up for yourself. Good luck!

Susan
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi there Marliece,
    I had radiation when I was in treatment for leukemia. I also had chemo. Sometimes, the doctors had to adjust the treatment schedules to accomodate pain, sickness, low CBC counts, etc. Its all part of the big plan. I would think the doctors would know if cutting one treatment would hurt or not. But, I am not a Dr so I cant tell you the answer. However, if your breast is sore, painful, etc... I would recommend a good Aloe lotion or gel. This really helped me. Applying it a few times a day helps a lot. It sound like you and hubby have a good relationship.. so... if you dont mind my suggesting... you could ask your hubby to apply the lotion or gel to your breasts. Its a good way to stay physically intimate throughout your treatments. What do you think about that? I suggest asking your Dr first about the Aloe.. just for good measure. But I think it will be ok. Hope this helps. Good luck and God bless.
    -Michael (aka... CSN American Idol!)
  • sarahohio
    sarahohio Member Posts: 9
    Options
    i too had 35 treatments. Got burns half way thru and had to take 5 days off also. gave me silver sulfadine cream, worked great. also aloe vera gel. I was told radiation keeps working for weeks after treatment so not to worry about break. heal up and hang in there. i am 3 months out of radiation and skin much much better. back to normal pink tone , peeled really bad though at first. god bless