fellow survivors stage 3

gerddy
gerddy Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello,
I'm new to this cite. My double masectomy was on January 27, 2005. I will have my third chemo treatment Monday March 28, 2005.

I am 41 and otherwise in great health. I would like to conect with someone else in a similiar situation. I'm clasified as stage 3 because my tumor was so large and I had many positive nodes.

I'd love to hear from all, I need a little encouragement.
Thanks,
gerddy

Comments

• roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    Hello gerddy,
    I had masectomy on left breast April 13, 2000 for DCIS.
    My right breast was removed on April 8, 2003. I am stage 3A with 5 positive nodes out of 18.
    So I now have a bilateral masectomy just not at the same time. I am er+ & pr+ along with Her2nu +.
    Also, had chemo and radiation. I am now on Arimidex.

You will do fine. I am 51, ten years difference.

HUGS to you.
    :)
    Roxanne
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    Hi gerddy,

I was 45 when dx'd stage 3. My tumor was 8cm. I had a mastectomy, chemo (AC & Taxol & Herceptin) and radiation. I had one node positive out of 10. I know things feel a little overwhelming at this point, but the further you get from dx, treatment and recovery, things will get better. I just passed my two year anniversary and I am doing fine. I never thought I would get here but time has a way of passing no matter what you're going thru. Just get thru the stages bit by bit, taking the best care of yourself along the way. When you feel up to it, take your life back a little at a time and before you know it things will be much better. Hang in there and feel free to email at any time.

Susan
  • michelle2098
    michelle2098 Member Posts: 2
    I'm 37 and I had a mastectomy on my right breast on 02/16/2005. I had multiple calcifications and that's why they did the mastectomy. After surgery it was discovered that 13 out of 21 lymph nodes were involved. I had my first chemo on 03/24/2005. I will be doing the 4 AC and 4 taxol regimen followed by radiation and tamoxifen. I am stage 3 because of the number of lymph nodes involved. There was no tumor found in the breast just calcifications. I hope I can continue to stay positive knowing that there are many women that were in my situation and beat the cancer.

Michelle
  • gerddy
    gerddy Member Posts: 19
    roxanne53 said:

Hello gerddy,
    I had masectomy on left breast April 13, 2000 for DCIS.
    My right breast was removed on April 8, 2003. I am stage 3A with 5 positive nodes out of 18.
    So I now have a bilateral masectomy just not at the same time. I am er+ & pr+ along with Her2nu +.
    Also, had chemo and radiation. I am now on Arimidex.

You will do fine. I am 51, ten years difference.

HUGS to you.
    :)
    Roxanne

Those are some of the most encouraging words I've come across so far.
    Thanks
    Gerddy
  • vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    i am stage 3b my tumor was 3cm and had 10+ lymph nodes i had bilat masectomy in nov 2002 chemo and oct 2003 had a stem cel transplant then radiation 2004. i feal great. i am back to work and so far cancer free!!!!!! i am 51 best of luck
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    gerddy said:

Those are some of the most encouraging words I've come across so far.
    Thanks
    Gerddy

Hello again.
    You may feel alot of different emotions and sometimes serreal days come along.
    You are never alone and strength just happens just appears. Especially after adjusting to the diagnosis itself.
    You have started another journey in life.
    It will be fine. even in the rough spots.
    You can email me through the CSN site. If you wish. HUGS
    Roxanne
  • sandytrif525
    sandytrif525 Member Posts: 106
    vac said:

i am stage 3b my tumor was 3cm and had 10+ lymph nodes i had bilat masectomy in nov 2002 chemo and oct 2003 had a stem cel transplant then radiation 2004. i feal great. i am back to work and so far cancer free!!!!!! i am 51 best of luck

Dear gerddy, hello my name is Sandy. I don't post much here. I am 45 was diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer at 41. I had 6 months of AC/taxotere, mastectomy, and 6 more month of chemo 5FU. after that 6 weeks of rads. It was a long road, but after 3 years clear of cancer, I am feeling great. I take arimidex. My cancer was very large but all of my lymph nodes at the time of surgery were clear. I would love to chat with you~ you can email me here. God bless Sandy.
  • natalied1
    natalied1 Member Posts: 1
    hello gerddy. i am also new to this sight. i just happened on it this evening and saw your message. i wanted to send you a note of encouragement. i was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 37. my story began when i had a dream one night. in my dream i was urged to do a self breast exam. i woke the next morning not thinking much about it, but that night, while taking a shower, i remembered. i did the exam and found a lump in my right breast, just above my rib cage. i also had a mammogram for a base line and calcifications were found. after a stereotactic biopsy, i was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma insitu. the lump i found was diagnosed as benign after a needle biopsy. i had a lumpectomy and was told they did not get clear margins. in fact, they found an invasive cancer. the lump was misdiagnosed. after a reexision, my sentinal node taken, followed by a mastectomy, i was advised i was in stage 2. they also took another node found during the mastectomy. these are the only two nodes taken and both were positive. i am not sure how many were positive, as a sample was not taken.

my treatment consisted of 4 AC and 4 taxotere, followed by radiation. feb 2, 2005 marked my 1 year since my last chemo. i will never forget that date.

although it is difficult now, you will look back after your hair begins to grow and wonder how you did it. you will see you had strength during this time you never knew you had. you will see how the things that do not kill us make us stronger. and you will be there for the next lady who comes along needing encouragement.

i will pray for you. i know where my strength comes from and i know God was in my situation every step of the way - from the very beginning.

i now look back and i am thankful for the opportunity of this experience - even though it has been difficult, it has changed my life - it has changed me.

hang in there and look up for strength and peace...

natalie
  • SusanAnne
    SusanAnne Member Posts: 245
    natalied1 said:

hello gerddy. i am also new to this sight. i just happened on it this evening and saw your message. i wanted to send you a note of encouragement. i was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 37. my story began when i had a dream one night. in my dream i was urged to do a self breast exam. i woke the next morning not thinking much about it, but that night, while taking a shower, i remembered. i did the exam and found a lump in my right breast, just above my rib cage. i also had a mammogram for a base line and calcifications were found. after a stereotactic biopsy, i was diagnosed with ductal carcinoma insitu. the lump i found was diagnosed as benign after a needle biopsy. i had a lumpectomy and was told they did not get clear margins. in fact, they found an invasive cancer. the lump was misdiagnosed. after a reexision, my sentinal node taken, followed by a mastectomy, i was advised i was in stage 2. they also took another node found during the mastectomy. these are the only two nodes taken and both were positive. i am not sure how many were positive, as a sample was not taken.

my treatment consisted of 4 AC and 4 taxotere, followed by radiation. feb 2, 2005 marked my 1 year since my last chemo. i will never forget that date.

although it is difficult now, you will look back after your hair begins to grow and wonder how you did it. you will see you had strength during this time you never knew you had. you will see how the things that do not kill us make us stronger. and you will be there for the next lady who comes along needing encouragement.

i will pray for you. i know where my strength comes from and i know God was in my situation every step of the way - from the very beginning.

i now look back and i am thankful for the opportunity of this experience - even though it has been difficult, it has changed my life - it has changed me.

hang in there and look up for strength and peace...

natalie

Hi Natalie,

Welcome to the site. I'm sorry you didn't find it during your initial battle but stick around, we can always use another point of view. Congratulations on your one year anniversary. I look forward to your future posts.

Take care,
    Susan
  • mybooos
    mybooos Member Posts: 1
    i also had stage 3 breast cancer it was as big as a grape fruit it had grew in 1 month the month before i had it removed i had gave birth to a beautiful baby girl .i when through chemo and radiation .my baby is now 13
  • fawnkomink
    fawnkomink Member Posts: 1
    Hello gerddy, I am 28 and I was dx at 25 with stage 3a. 7/17 nodes+. I had AC and Taxotere for 6 months and radiation for 5 weeks, every day. I was severely depressed and I had a very hard time coping with this, but I can tell you that I am in remission for 2 years now and there are days when I don't even think about it. Life does go on and it does get better! I promise. I had a bilateral mast. and reconstruction. I feel good and all of my tests are coming back clear!! I know how you feel and the best thing you can do is get encouragement from all of the people here and listen to their stories. They truly are miracles. They helped me through the toughest time of my life and I know they can help you too. Be strong, try to laugh and have people around you that make you feel good. Watch funny movies, read funny books. Remember laughter is the best medicine!! If you ever need any one to talk to you can reach me at fawnkomink@aol.com I hope I helped, even just a little bit! Fawn