edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
An amazing database, although somewhat technical and
at times depressing.
http://www.jco.org/cgi/content/full/17/4/1312#TBL31312

Comments

• Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Many thanks, Bud! I'm printing it out as I type. I will go back for my nine month checkup in two weeks armed with information!

Kay
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    They make intereseting reading. The bottom line seems to be there is little evidence to support alomst any surveillance except CEA and 3-5 yearly colonoscopy accompanied by regular physical exam. CT doesn't come out favourably which is inteesting as it along with US scans still seem to be regularly used. No discussion of role of PET scans though.
    Just goes to show patient vigilance of symptoms is robably the best thing and in fact empowers us to be active in our own surveillance.
    Steve
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hi Bud, Good to see you posting regularly again. Hope all is well with you. I made note of the site; I will check it out before my next 3 month checkup. My onc keeps saying that they will do the bloodwork, including CEA, but he wants me to listen to my body and be sure to report anything that seems different or out of the ordinary for my new clinical baseline.
    A very good friend has just been diagnosed with oral-pharygeal cancer; very tough road ahead for him. It all seems so scary at times.
    Regards, Judy
  • jsabol
    Options
    Reply #2...Hi Bud, Just printed out the report. I am amazed! VERY interesting, (and technical) and, your right, somewhat depressing. Looks like the search for possible recurrance is a crapshoot...no pun intended. I now have my reading for the night (or next few nights!) It is great to have such a thorough review available. Hope they keep working on this.
    Here's hoping for good outcomes for us all.
    Judy
  • jsabol
    Options
    Sorry, reply #3. This report is dated 1999. Do you think there have been any advances in the area of followup and detection of recurrance since then? Sure gives me PLENTY of stuff to ask my onc, who loves all questions.
    Thanks again, Judy
  • nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    jsabol said:

Sorry, reply #3. This report is dated 1999. Do you think there have been any advances in the area of followup and detection of recurrance since then? Sure gives me PLENTY of stuff to ask my onc, who loves all questions.
    Thanks again, Judy

dunno about the date, but would be interested in your Onc's response..I think Crap-shoot is a very appropriate pun..I believe 5fu was developed from
    mustard gas..they were giving it to my wife 20 years ago, and as far as I know, it's the same stuff they are using today.. Bud