symptoms after colon resection

tlynn
tlynn Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
i'm 3 1/2 weeks post op after having a sigmoid/rectal colectomy for colon cancer and i have been having alot of rectal discomfort and pressure. is this normal?

Comments

• nanuk
    nanuk Member Posts: 1,358 Member
    I'm not sure what kind of rectal discomfort and pressure you have, but I had the same surgery, and
    had a lot of discomfort for six months or more..do you have a colostomy? Is your discomfort all the time, or only when sitting? did they give you a cushion or ring to sit on?-(essential) Considerable discomfort was the norm for me for
    quite a while, but it did go away eventually. Nanuk
  • johnom
    johnom Member Posts: 86 Member
    Hi, tlynn.
    I had the same or similar surgery, a low anterior resection, where they removed the upper half of my rectum and my sigmoid, about 12 inches altogether.
    I had the same problems as Nanuk for about 6 or 7 months. I carried an inflatable ring from Wal-Mart around with me in a pillow case, and I think it really helped.
    If you are having pain, green bean shaped BM's, or pencil size, that is all normal and due to swelling at the surgery site. Next comes the incredible fight with incontinence...but, there is an end to it! It takes a long time it seems to get there, though. All I could eat for 6 weeks were graham crackers and root beer for some unknown reason. After l0 months, and chemo, etc. I am pretty much back to a 75% normal life. As you know and understand, none of us is ever the same again, mentally or physically.
    Take the meds for pain, take frequent baths, and take your time healing. Everyone here is pulling for you....we've been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt, tried to sell it at a garage sale, gave it to the Goodwill, saw it on a neighbor...

There is eventually an end to your misery.
  • steved
    steved Member Posts: 834 Member
    It is still early days and the recovery does take a while- I was surprised at how long it all took to come right after my anterior resection. It is best to discuss it through with your surgeon however and be examined just to be sure. It all sounds far too familiar to me though and I don't think it is anything to worry too much about unless it persists too long,
    steve
  • timlou
    timlou Member Posts: 60
    My husband Tim had the same symptoms after a sigmoid resection no colostomy. He had lots of pain and pressure. We went back to the Gastroenterologist several times, told the oncologist and surgeon seems like they hear it alot because they all prescribed the same things. Frequent warm baths or sitz baths to soothe the rectal area. They also gave him some suppositories and foam with steroid for insertion into the rectum but they never worked as well as the baths. The ringed pillow also helped, you and your bottom have been through alot and anytime you have a question or concern ask your doctors that's why they make the big bucks, and we will always be around for friendly advice. Good luck, Louise
  • tlynn
    tlynn Member Posts: 5
    nanuk said:

I'm not sure what kind of rectal discomfort and pressure you have, but I had the same surgery, and
    had a lot of discomfort for six months or more..do you have a colostomy? Is your discomfort all the time, or only when sitting? did they give you a cushion or ring to sit on?-(essential) Considerable discomfort was the norm for me for
    quite a while, but it did go away eventually. Nanuk

i don't have a colostomy. what seem to help relieve the symptoms, besides pain med and sitz baths.(that's the only thing that i have found that will work.
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    timlou said:

My husband Tim had the same symptoms after a sigmoid resection no colostomy. He had lots of pain and pressure. We went back to the Gastroenterologist several times, told the oncologist and surgeon seems like they hear it alot because they all prescribed the same things. Frequent warm baths or sitz baths to soothe the rectal area. They also gave him some suppositories and foam with steroid for insertion into the rectum but they never worked as well as the baths. The ringed pillow also helped, you and your bottom have been through alot and anytime you have a question or concern ask your doctors that's why they make the big bucks, and we will always be around for friendly advice. Good luck, Louise

Hi...I had a similar resection. I agree with Steve.
    31/2 weeks out of surgery is really not enough time to begin getting anywhere near normal. Take oe step at a time. I think we all have different healing rates. I was pretty much abnormal for months...but having said that, a lot of that was due to doing 6 months chemo which really slows the healing process quite a bit.
    Things will return very near to normal in time.
    regards, Kanga n Jen