Post-surgery problems?

Padawan60
Padawan60 Member Posts: 13
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
For those who have had a hysterectomy or other abdominal surgery: did you have any new problems crop up shortly afterward? During my post-op visit, my doctor found a bit of blood during the rectal exam and wants me to get a precautionary colonoscopy. I'm sure many things could cause this, such as the constipation that troubled me for weeks after my surgery, but I'm understandably concerned about colon cancer and will probably be a bit anxious until I have the test and learn the results. I just wanted to know whether this might be be a fairly typical post-surgery problem and if anyone here has experienced it. Thanks!

Comments

• groundeffect
    groundeffect Member Posts: 639 Member
    My incision didn't heal quite right after my surgery, but that was the only visible problem I had. I did have really bad intestinal pains after, which I didn't want to ask about, but did, and was told they were normal.

I had a colonoscopy last year, and it was a snap - one of the easiest tests I've had, although I hated doing the system flush before it.

Because the BRCA genetic defect can be linked to breast, colon, ovarian, and prostate cancers (I may be missing a few), it is a good idea for any of us to have a colonoscopy, although an insurance company may not want to pay for it unless you have actual symptoms (unless you're over 50).
  • Padawan60
    Padawan60 Member Posts: 13

My incision didn't heal quite right after my surgery, but that was the only visible problem I had. I did have really bad intestinal pains after, which I didn't want to ask about, but did, and was told they were normal.

I had a colonoscopy last year, and it was a snap - one of the easiest tests I've had, although I hated doing the system flush before it.

Because the BRCA genetic defect can be linked to breast, colon, ovarian, and prostate cancers (I may be missing a few), it is a good idea for any of us to have a colonoscopy, although an insurance company may not want to pay for it unless you have actual symptoms (unless you're over 50).

I suppose I could argue that I have a symptom, since the doctor wouldn't have sent me for the test if blood hadn't turned up during my exam. But my insurance doesn't cover outpatient procedures, anyway (plus I'm under 50), so I may be out of luck. Still, I'm OK with paying for the test if I have to -- if it goes well, then I shouldn't have to worry about my poor colon for another few years. :)