Just Dropped By to Say Hello!

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone! I guess by now you all thought that I dropped off the edge of the world....I didn't! I'm here and ALL IS WELL!!!!!!

I am so, so sorry that I haven't posted lately...in fact, I haven't even been to the board in a long, long time and I must say, I missed you all...truly, I did. But not a single one of you has been out of my thoughts or prayers as I keep fighting this dreadful monster in my own way. I needed a long, extended break...I still do, but I just had to check in and tell everyone hey!

My wonderful husband Bert continues to do very well. It will be two years in July and last scans showed NED and CEA down at 2.5. We celebrated out 30th anniversary and I prayed that God grants us many more. The few side effects that Bert had from chemo are all pretty much gone now and he looks, feels, and is great!

Mom is another story. While she remains asymptomatic for her lung cancer (good thing), they did discover new growth now in the upper right portion of her lung in December. It was confirmed as cancer in February (PET) but hadn't grown on changed any since December. She is currently under watch with new scans due in about three weeks. If there is any change that time, plan of action will be put into place and I am thrilled that a plan of action is still available. She has been fighting this monster (lung cancer) for almost three years now, enjoying for the most part, quality of life, and that, I know my friends, is a blessing.

As for me, I continue to work full time, play on the computer, research cancer, indulge in my hobby of buying, selling, trading, keeping antiques and collectibles and sometimes, but not as often as I used to, withdraw into myself because this awful disease is always on my mind and I am still trying real hard to work on it no claiming me as well. Cancer is that way you know. Even healthy people it effects because it borrows into your head and stays there, sometimes taking over everything else. Hence one of the reasons why I've been laying low for so long. I've missed you all and I know I've missed a lot of what's been happening lately, but somehow, someway, and PLEASE DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND, I still wish deep down inside that I never would have had the need to find this board. But since it was my destiny to walk the road that I walk, I know the dear Lord did intervene and I found you, my lifeline, my friends!

Many big hugs to you all and in the famous words of our governor, "I'll be back."

Monika :-)

Comments

• Moesimo
    Moesimo Member Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome back. I am glad that your husband continues to do well. This board is a great place and I have met many wonderful cyber friends. It has been 2 years for me since diagnosis and I finally feel like my old self.

I hope that you mother continues to have a good quality of life.

Maureen
  • kerry
    kerry Member Posts: 1,313 Member
    Options
    Hooray! We heard from you! I was wondering where you were? Glad to hear things are going fairly well. So happy Bert is getting good news with his scans. We'll keep your Mom in our thoughts and prayers too.

I know sometimes we just need a break from this cancer stuff. Don't stay away too long or we start worrying.

Good to hear from you. Please take care.

Kerry
  • bsrules
    bsrules Member Posts: 296
    Options
    Hello There Stranger!!!!

Great to hear that you are hanging in there!!! Also wonderful that Bert is doing so well!!! Your mom is hanging in there and that is a blessing also!!!!!

I was wondering how you were doing as we didn't hear from you. Now we can rest easy!! I am holding on. I agree with you that this monster never get out of your head!!!! It consumes your life whether we want it to or not. The fear is always there!!!!

Please have a WONDERFUL EASTER if I don't hear from you!!!

Love and Hugs coming your way!!!

Sue
  • jana11
    jana11 Member Posts: 705
    Options
    Glad to hear from you. May Bert continue to be NED, and I wish your mother the best.

Be well, jana
  • kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    jana11 said:

Glad to hear from you. May Bert continue to be NED, and I wish your mother the best.

Be well, jana

Hiya Monika. When you have friends here that have posted "wondering how Monika and Bert are"; you can be sure that we are all still thinking of you guys. Taking time to chill Monika needs no apology. We are so glad to hear that Bert is doing well and your mum continues to have options open to her to keep her cancer under attack.
    Our very best, love and huggs, kanga n Jen
  • alihamilton
    alihamilton Member Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    It is good to hear from you, Monika. I am so glad Bert continues to do so well. We are in the same position at the moment with Mike doing well too. But I agree, it is always on my mind too and it makes me appreciate each and every day we have together...even when I start to feel annoyed at him for some trivial reason, I come right back to rejoicing that he is still here with me!

I wish your mum all the best too and hope she remains asymptomatic.

Keep up the good work with both of them! And continue to look after yourself too.

Love, Ali
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Ahoy, Monika and No-Type NED -

So good to hear from y'all! Glad to hear your mom remains a-symptomatic, Monika and Bert, good to see that CEA dropping like it is.

ROCK-ON!!

Hey, now that you're feel so chipper, maybe it's a good time to take a class at the local college... like TYPING 101!!!

Stay well, you guys!

- Bob
  • littlejulie
    littlejulie Member Posts: 311
    Options
    Hi Monika!!! Nice to hear from you - We miss you!! I'm happy to hear Bert is NED!!! That's great!! This July will be my moms first year cancer free.
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Hi Monika,

Great to hear from you. We have missed you. Check out the reunion in Vegas in October. It's our your way so maybe you and Bert could come meet us all. Stay in touch!!!!!

Lisa P.
  • Kanort
    Kanort Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Hi Monika,

I'm glad most things are going so well. Bert's CEA level is awesome. I know it cause a lot of anxiety for you. Continued well wishes for your mom. It's good to hear that there are treatment options available for her if needed.

Stay in touch.

Kay
  • jsabol
    jsabol Member Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Hey Monika, Good to hear from you, and to hear that Bert is doing well and that mom is hanging tough. I know what you mean about not keeping up with the postings. I have become more of a "lurker" these days....too many other things (mostly good) filling up my time.
    Hang in there; wishing you the best, Judy