Question about symptoms

Options
gabor
gabor Member Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everyone. I read your posts daily and am glad to be able to come here to all of you for support. My husband Jimmy was diagnosed with Stage III rectal cancer in April 2004. He had surgery in May 2004 (no colostomy). He has 2 more treatments of CPT-11 and 5FU left and completed 6 weeks of chemo-radiation post surgery. Recently, he had 2 occurrences of blood in his stools. He is due for a CT scan in March which will be the first since his surgery. CEA level in December was .05 which was the same level post surgery. I will be contacting the oncologist tomorrow but was wondering if this is normal. My instincts tell me this is out of the ordinary. Would appreciate hearing similar experiences and outcomes. For all of you that continue to be NED, I'm so happy for you. For all of those still fighting the battle, keep your chin up and stay as courageous as you are. In my book, you are all heroes.
Linda

Comments

• kangatoo
    kangatoo Member Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Did you hear that guys.........Linda called us hero's??
    Far from it Linda.....just a heap of like dx'd guys n gals that have a soft spot for each other and our "angel" carers. Welcome to the group and hi to Jimmy.I think the "blood" indication is certainly worth questioning Linda. Anything out of the ordinary must be investigated. Hey, don't go worrying to much. Jimmy may have something simple causing the bledding. It may be a minor case of haemharroids!
    Get him to have it checked out asap sweetie....thats the best course of action to settle any fears.
    Look after yourself and your Jimmy, our very best from OZ, kanga n Jen
  • taunya
    taunya Member Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey Linda,
    I agree with Kanga and Jen, anytime there's blood, you MUST have it checked. I have had this happen twice myself and guess what.... I am the happiest host of hemmorhoids (sp?)this side of the Pecos! You have to be sure. I am sure it will be fine.
    Taunya
  • MJay
    MJay Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Absolutely get it checked out! I ignored the slight blood in my stools thinking it was hemrrhoids but later learned I was hosting to a 5cm rectal tumor that put me at stage 3. If I had a rectum you can bet I would never ignore that again!!!

MJay
  • taraHK
    taraHK Member Posts: 1,952 Member
    Options
    Hi Linda,
    I think it is important to get it checked out asap. However, it could well be something non-ominous (hemorrhoids, or some other cause). I had blood in my stool once when I had a pretty bad gastrointestinal "flu". Please keep us posted.
    Tara
  • spongebob
    spongebob Member Posts: 2,565 Member
    Options
    Linda -

I agree with my friends - get it checked out, BUT, one quick at-home check you can do to help ease you mind a little bit is to look at the color of the blood. Is it bright red? If so, it's PROBABLY (never say "definitely") a hemmerhoid. Praise the Lord and pass the Preparation H.

Lots of discussion threads here regarding the usefulness/uselessness of CEA levels in determining presence of disease. I'd guess that about two-thirds or more of us have normal CEA levels and have had them during the entire course of our disease.

Get it checked out, certainly, but if the blood was/is bright red, it's probably a 'roid. Normal for those of us who spend more time sitting on the throne than King George.

- Sponge
  • MJay
    MJay Member Posts: 132
    Options
    spongebob said:

Linda -

I agree with my friends - get it checked out, BUT, one quick at-home check you can do to help ease you mind a little bit is to look at the color of the blood. Is it bright red? If so, it's PROBABLY (never say "definitely") a hemmerhoid. Praise the Lord and pass the Preparation H.

Lots of discussion threads here regarding the usefulness/uselessness of CEA levels in determining presence of disease. I'd guess that about two-thirds or more of us have normal CEA levels and have had them during the entire course of our disease.

Get it checked out, certainly, but if the blood was/is bright red, it's probably a 'roid. Normal for those of us who spend more time sitting on the throne than King George.

- Sponge

That was exactly my way of thinking too SB. Bright red meant a hemmrhoid. Not so for me. Mine was very bright red and all along I had that tumor. It had been growing for 3-4 years but I only had blood occasionally for the year before I was dx'd. So... when in doubt check it out!!!!

MJay
  • alihamilton
    alihamilton Member Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    MJay said:

That was exactly my way of thinking too SB. Bright red meant a hemmrhoid. Not so for me. Mine was very bright red and all along I had that tumor. It had been growing for 3-4 years but I only had blood occasionally for the year before I was dx'd. So... when in doubt check it out!!!!

MJay

My husband was warned after his post surgery/treatment colonoscopy that he may find some blood on occasion as he has signs of hemorroids. However, I would get it checked out.

As to CEA levels, I too find it so confusing...they still use the tests, particulary to indicate recurrence, yet we keep hearing they are pretty useless!

On my husband's last CT scan, some spots showed up on the liver but his CEA was 3.1. When his PET scan showed no malignancy, the oncology consultant said he did not really think it was anything serious as the CEA was low but he had to check. So some experts must have faith in these tests!

Ali
  • Kaye2003
    Kaye2003 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    My husband was dx w/rectal cancer October 2003, had rad/chemo, surgery (no colostomy) Feb 2004 and then 4 month more chemo. He also had two occurences of blood in his stool after surgery, but in October 2004 his CT Scan, Colonoscopy, ultrasound, blood work and path reports showed cancer free. He is due again in Feb for CT Scan and ultrasound. We just pray everyday that it will not return. If you need to talk or just discuss your experience, feel free to email me.
    I'll include you both in my prayers.
    Kaye
  • gabor
    gabor Member Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Kaye2003 said:

My husband was dx w/rectal cancer October 2003, had rad/chemo, surgery (no colostomy) Feb 2004 and then 4 month more chemo. He also had two occurences of blood in his stool after surgery, but in October 2004 his CT Scan, Colonoscopy, ultrasound, blood work and path reports showed cancer free. He is due again in Feb for CT Scan and ultrasound. We just pray everyday that it will not return. If you need to talk or just discuss your experience, feel free to email me.
    Kaye

Thank you all for responding. I can see that everyone has different experiences but one common theme from everyone is to check it out. Like MJay, the only time Jimmy showed signs of red blood was when he had his tumor. So needless to say, a little freaking out was in order. Talked to dr. yesterday and he wants a colonoscopy just to be sure. Thanks for the prayers.
    Linda
  • jc87379
    jc87379 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Kaye2003 said:

Kaye

Symptoms
    Im a newbie. Just joined today 9/3/09.

Im happy for you and your husband. God is good.

Do you know of any symptoms that may arise if your having recurrence?
    I hear different answers. Some say NO symptoms at all. Others say
    pain on leg or back. How old is your husband and what was he when diagnosed?
    Did he go through chemo-radiation prior to surgery?

Any advise would be appreciated.

J
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    jc87379 said:

Symptoms
    Im a newbie. Just joined today 9/3/09.

Im happy for you and your husband. God is good.

Do you know of any symptoms that may arise if your having recurrence?
    I hear different answers. Some say NO symptoms at all. Others say
    pain on leg or back. How old is your husband and what was he when diagnosed?
    Did he go through chemo-radiation prior to surgery?

Any advise would be appreciated.

J

A Blast from the Past
    This is a very old post, from 2005.
    I would think that any change in stools would be a sign. There is no set answer, some have symptoms some don't. I would make sure I get followup checkups and not take any chances.
    Is this for you or for someone you know?