Anyone else serious stage III?

Options
mannmade
mannmade Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone: This is my first post. I was diagnosed April 2004 with 8.5 cent. tumor and a whopping 25 malignant nodes, infiltrating lobular carcinoma. Had bi laterial mastectomy, 18 rounds chemo (AC and Taxol), finishing up radiation, doing Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Anyways, I'm 42 and mother of 3 (9-yr. old girl and twin 6yr. old boys). Anyone else out there stage III on verge of metastatic disease and trying not to freak out? I'm doing well in general, but so scary. Searching for other women in similar situation. Look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• vac
    vac Member Posts: 97
    Options
    hi i am a stage 111b i forgot what size my tumor was i had 12+ lymph node i was diagnose 10/2002 i had a bil mastectomy chemo stem cel transplant and radiation. i am also on tomoxifen. i am doing great so far my scans have been clear. my girls are not as young as yours they were 20,18,15 when i was diagnose. keep a positive attitude i believe that is what keeps you strong and alote of prayers. and watch alote of comedy tv or movies i love to laugh. don't be afraid you have alote to live for. take care of yourself
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    vac said:

hi i am a stage 111b i forgot what size my tumor was i had 12+ lymph node i was diagnose 10/2002 i had a bil mastectomy chemo stem cel transplant and radiation. i am also on tomoxifen. i am doing great so far my scans have been clear. my girls are not as young as yours they were 20,18,15 when i was diagnose. keep a positive attitude i believe that is what keeps you strong and alote of prayers. and watch alote of comedy tv or movies i love to laugh. don't be afraid you have alote to live for. take care of yourself

Not a serious stage 3, but a comical stage 4! Does that count?
    Hi there and welcome to the board. I was diagnosed 6/2000 4 cm tumor w/ 13 out of 27 + lymph nodes. August 2001 I had a met to right arm, but praise God this stuff is treatable and beatable. At diagnosis my boys were 11 and 8, they are now 15 and 12. My how time flies. I was on Zometa and Herceptin for 3 years, now back on chemo, but it's not near as bad as the first time. Faith has been my biggest asset and then like vac said laughter and a positive attitude is essential. Hang in there, oddly enough this can be a blessing. Changes your priorities at any rate! God bless.
    (((HUGS))) hummingbyrd
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    HI
    I am Stage 3A. 5 nodes positive out of 18 taken from right side. I am her2 nu Positive, ER & PR positive. Invasive lobular carcinoma. 4/8/2003,Mascetomy on right side. Now on arimidex after chemo and radiaton.
    The first time I had cancer it was in the left breast with ductal carcinoma in situ, and had to have mascetomy ,on 4/13/2000, on left side no nodes taken. Too many spots of cells in the breast.

Considered 2 different cancers for breast.

It is scary to deal with cancer but we all are strong women here and will continue to forge ahead.

Take care.
    Roxanne
  • bunnie
    bunnie Member Posts: 233
    Options
    i am llready there and the said there isnt anything the can do for me at this stage.i havei it in my brest then lung and know brain,not trying to scare you or anything,bunnie
  • Idalia
    Idalia Member Posts: 76
    Options
    Go ahead and freak out! Everyone else does - I think it is a normal and necessary reaction to cancer. Personally, I skipped stage III and went from stage II directly to stage IV. I had a lumpectomy 2/03, 6 rounds chemo and 6 weeks radiation. They found cancer in two small tumors and a lymph node inside my breast, but nothing outside the breast so they called it stage II. 7/04, I was seeing an orthopedist about persistent backpain and found out I had bone mets throughout my spine, thyroid, lungs, pelvis and right femur. Did I freak? You bet, but after a couple more rounds of radiation and several months of femara, I am doing well. There is nothing you are going through that others haven't gone through before. You are doing well and that is what matters.
  • coralrose
    coralrose Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi I had stage 3a BC with her2 and her2neu positive, 7 cancerous lymph nodes, tumor 2.5cm. I had a lumpectomy, A/C x4, taxol x12 but only had 8 due to severe allergic reactions, rad 33 treatments, Herceptin x 52 weeks, Femara. I just finished my 18 month treatment schedule...is so normal to freak out. I took it one day at a time. stay away from the negative people, refused to think I wouldn't make it. Hospitalized for pneumonia and severe blood clots. My family each time was sure I never make it out but I knew I would. It's rough as heck, I have a high reoccurance rate. Knowing that I just take and enjoy life now. I still sleep a lot, and have severe bone pain with neuropathy, but I made it....email me if you want...laugh when you can, catch up on reading too...and I got into reality shows...LOL...
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm stage 111a an I sound quite similar to you! I was 43 at diagnosis (7/10/04) infiltrating lobular carcinoma, 3 nodes out of 25. Had left mastectomy, working on the 18 rounds chemo (AC and Taxol - 3 to go), finishing up with 30 sessions radiation, then doing arimidex after that. I wish there was more info about lobular cancer, it's not as common as ductal.

My doctors tell me that my cancer is curable, so that's all I focus on - I'm curing this!
    I have a good role model though - my mom had cancer when I was small and she beat it, then she had a different cancer about 10 years ago and beat that, so I know I can beat this!

I haven't really freaked out, I try to use my energy toward getting well. I think your kids would be a great source of inspiration for getting well and showing them how important it is to keep a good sense of humor in the face of adversity. My mom set a great example for me and you have a chance to give that to your children.

• pegann
    pegann Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Sound like you are going forward with bravery and and tenaniousness. I am a seven year survivor Stage III with 20 nodes positive. I did the slash poison and burn treatments. I am a nurse on an cardiac step down unit and have seen alot of suffering and death. I worked all the way through all of my treatments with the exception of when my whites were so low my onc would not let me go to work as it was the flu season and he was concerned about my low immunity. I can only tell you that it is hard to beat this thing and it takes all the strength that you have. It also takes all the hope, faith and prayer of all that love you. I got letters from people from all over the world that I did not even know as I was put on many prayer lists. God is the master and Jesus already defeated this for us. You must make the most of the time that you have and do all the things that you want to do. Be with those that you love and leave no time for idle gossip or wasteful endeavors. I have been blessed with two beautiful grandchildren since my
    diagnoses, they are now five and six years old. They will remember me and I have have had the pleasure of making a imprint on their lives. God had a plan for each of us and we can only do what we can do. I am no longer afraid of this disease or any other disease. The victory was won when Jesus died for us on the cross. There is nothing on this earth can take us from his hand. Our bodies may suffer and die but our souls will live on forever. Have fun in your life and take care of yourself; tell everyone all you want to tell them and be assured that there will be angels to deliver you from pain and there will also be angels to comfort those who grieve your loss when that time comes. My prayers, hope and love are with you and I know that God will bless you.
  • Pammie61
    Pammie61 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Idalia said:

Go ahead and freak out! Everyone else does - I think it is a normal and necessary reaction to cancer. Personally, I skipped stage III and went from stage II directly to stage IV. I had a lumpectomy 2/03, 6 rounds chemo and 6 weeks radiation. They found cancer in two small tumors and a lymph node inside my breast, but nothing outside the breast so they called it stage II. 7/04, I was seeing an orthopedist about persistent backpain and found out I had bone mets throughout my spine, thyroid, lungs, pelvis and right femur. Did I freak? You bet, but after a couple more rounds of radiation and several months of femara, I am doing well. There is nothing you are going through that others haven't gone through before. You are doing well and that is what matters.

New on here
    Idalia, It is really uplifting to read your post. It shows all things are possibe and never give up. I was diagnosed in May of 2008 with breast cancer. It was a 11mm tumor and 15 of 25 nodes were damaged. I went through mastectomy, chemo, and 33 radiation. Now last month i found out i had mets ...small cyst near the brain stem which was cancerous. They removed most of it but i had Gamma Knife to remove the rest (have to wait a few weeks to see how well it worked). I am doing 12 radiation and then chemo. I am feeling good and trusting in GOD to bring me right on through this just like he did the breast cancer. I am glad i found this sight..its good to read uplifting reports from people just like me. I am TRIPLE NEGATIVE. Everyone on here please keep me in prayers..and i will do the same for you all.

Pam
  • m_azingrace
    m_azingrace Member Posts: 399
    Options
    pegann said:

Sound like you are going forward with bravery and and tenaniousness. I am a seven year survivor Stage III with 20 nodes positive. I did the slash poison and burn treatments. I am a nurse on an cardiac step down unit and have seen alot of suffering and death. I worked all the way through all of my treatments with the exception of when my whites were so low my onc would not let me go to work as it was the flu season and he was concerned about my low immunity. I can only tell you that it is hard to beat this thing and it takes all the strength that you have. It also takes all the hope, faith and prayer of all that love you. I got letters from people from all over the world that I did not even know as I was put on many prayer lists. God is the master and Jesus already defeated this for us. You must make the most of the time that you have and do all the things that you want to do. Be with those that you love and leave no time for idle gossip or wasteful endeavors. I have been blessed with two beautiful grandchildren since my
    diagnoses, they are now five and six years old. They will remember me and I have have had the pleasure of making a imprint on their lives. God had a plan for each of us and we can only do what we can do. I am no longer afraid of this disease or any other disease. The victory was won when Jesus died for us on the cross. There is nothing on this earth can take us from his hand. Our bodies may suffer and die but our souls will live on forever. Have fun in your life and take care of yourself; tell everyone all you want to tell them and be assured that there will be angels to deliver you from pain and there will also be angels to comfort those who grieve your loss when that time comes. My prayers, hope and love are with you and I know that God will bless you.

The doctor told me yesterday that my cancer is stage IV. Like being hit with a brickbat! I had originally been told it was stage III, with invasive ductal something-something. 29 out of 32 nodes positive. But then the test results came in. Mets to the left humerous, skull and spine. However the MRI to the skull shows no evidence of cancer in the brain, just the lesion on the skull bone. We are still giddy from that news! Now the joke at my house is "they looked in her head, and there's nothing there".

The orthopedist thinks my arm is strong enough to not need a pin ... MRI is being done this Sat, to see if there are any tiny fractures that didn't show on the ct scan. There is a possibility I may have rads, but it's not for sure yet. Apparently the lesion on my spine is not large enough to concern the doctors, as this has not been mentioned except in passing. There has been no mets to any of my organs, and Dr. told me that my markers are very low, almost normal. I have no pain, and that's a good sign too. Except for the cancer, I am healthy, so we can put all our attention and energy into fighting the beast.

The chemo port was installed 2 weeks ago, but now I won't be having chemo (not right away anyhow). I'm taking Femara, and I expect to begin monthly Zometa infusions in the next week (they can use the chemo port for that). The oncologist is cautiously optimistic. At the very least, the cancer is treatable and manageable.

Scared, nervous, anxious, angry, hopeful, depressed...all that and more. Grateful too. Grateful for my family and friends. For great medical care team and good medicine. For good insurance. And very grateful for this site, where we come together to help one another through our difficult diagnosis and treatment...sharing experiences and offering comfort and support. {{{{hugs}}}} to you all! Gracie
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options

The doctor told me yesterday that my cancer is stage IV. Like being hit with a brickbat! I had originally been told it was stage III, with invasive ductal something-something. 29 out of 32 nodes positive. But then the test results came in. Mets to the left humerous, skull and spine. However the MRI to the skull shows no evidence of cancer in the brain, just the lesion on the skull bone. We are still giddy from that news! Now the joke at my house is "they looked in her head, and there's nothing there".

The orthopedist thinks my arm is strong enough to not need a pin ... MRI is being done this Sat, to see if there are any tiny fractures that didn't show on the ct scan. There is a possibility I may have rads, but it's not for sure yet. Apparently the lesion on my spine is not large enough to concern the doctors, as this has not been mentioned except in passing. There has been no mets to any of my organs, and Dr. told me that my markers are very low, almost normal. I have no pain, and that's a good sign too. Except for the cancer, I am healthy, so we can put all our attention and energy into fighting the beast.

The chemo port was installed 2 weeks ago, but now I won't be having chemo (not right away anyhow). I'm taking Femara, and I expect to begin monthly Zometa infusions in the next week (they can use the chemo port for that). The oncologist is cautiously optimistic. At the very least, the cancer is treatable and manageable.

Scared, nervous, anxious, angry, hopeful, depressed...all that and more. Grateful too. Grateful for my family and friends. For great medical care team and good medicine. For good insurance. And very grateful for this site, where we come together to help one another through our difficult diagnosis and treatment...sharing experiences and offering comfort and support. {{{{hugs}}}} to you all! Gracie

Pammy and Gracie, You are
    Pammy and Gracie, You are in my prayers. xoxoxoxoxo Lynn
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options

Stage IIIC
    Thank you for your inspirational stories.
    We will win this battle. I was diagnosed with IIIC 14 months ago. I have completed treatments and currently on tamoxifen, experiencing severe fatigue, but looking forward to the future.
  • zou-zou
    zou-zou Member Posts: 1
    Options

Stage IIIC
    Thank you for your inspirational stories.
    We will win this battle. I was diagnosed with IIIC 14 months ago. I have completed treatments and currently on tamoxifen, experiencing severe fatigue, but looking forward to the future.

Best wishes.
    My thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself and focus on getting the rest and comfort that you need.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    i b c stage lll
    had chemo then breast removed then rads then herceptin for a year, no ned now