Metastasized Bladder Cancer to Lung

DoubleKnot
DoubleKnot Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Bladder Cancer #1
Hello Everyone,

I need info. concerning Bladder Cancer that has spread to the lung. According to the Oncologist, the tumor mass was approx. 2 inches in width in the x-ray. Around Christmas, we should receive the latest news about where the cancer metastasized. Any info. from you would be greatly appreciated. The more informed I am, the easier it will be to deal with now. Do you know what options if any, there are in this situation? He had both the bladder/prostrate removed because of the most agressive type cancer that went into the muscle according to the surgeon.He had 4 chemo treatments, but he refused the radiation treatments.

Take Care,
DoubleKnot

Comments

• AuthorUnknown
    AuthorUnknown Member Posts: 1,537 Member
    You do not say what kind of bladder cancer you have. Do you have RCC, TCC, or CCC? My TCC mets to my lung. They removed the TCC cancer tumor from my lung the next day. What are they waiting for? Where are you going for treatment? How old are you?

I suggest you call a major cancer institute and get there this week. Sloan Kettering is on the East Coast in Boston, M D Anderson is in Texas, and the Mayo Clinic is in Minnesota. I know you can get into the Mayo Clinic with in one to two weeks is that is where I go.

Feel free to email me with more questions.

Jo Dell
  • tomsfan
    tomsfan Member Posts: 1
    Doubleknot, I know that this is not regarding your posted question, but I am new to this web site and am having problems finding your first posting that I seen regarding problems that your husband had with his stoma bag leaking. My father just had his bladder and prostate removed two weeks ago, and is having problems with the adhesive leaking around the stoma. He is replacing it every two days right now. He is using some type of powder adhesive to help it stick, but it is still leaking. Do you have any ideas? Thanks so much!
  • DoubleKnot
    tomsfan said:

Doubleknot, I know that this is not regarding your posted question, but I am new to this web site and am having problems finding your first posting that I seen regarding problems that your husband had with his stoma bag leaking. My father just had his bladder and prostate removed two weeks ago, and is having problems with the adhesive leaking around the stoma. He is replacing it every two days right now. He is using some type of powder adhesive to help it stick, but it is still leaking. Do you have any ideas? Thanks so much!

I am so sorry that you are going through the same nightmare that we went through the first month after my husband's surgery to remove his bladder/prostrate. The first thing that I would HIGHLY SUGGEST TO YOU, is contact your Urologist's office and tell them that you are not only asking but DEMANDING that your local STOMA EXPERT be called in and to come to your home to check the Stoma, Flange, and Urine Bag. They might have put the wrong flange on him. I am also going to give you the info. on the products that my husband uses, but you will have to have the prescription from the Urologist to get the products. The products are from CONVATEC. They are the SUR-FIT NATURA DURAHESIVE FLANGES made by Squibb Pharm Co.(ref#413181)(10 per box), CONVATEC SURF NA UR PO401544 (ref.#401544)(10 per box), Uni-Solve Adhesive Remover Wipes (Smith+Nephew)box of 50, #402300, Skin-Prep (Smith+Nephew)Box of 50 Protective Wipes/Skin Prep., BSN medical Cover-Roll stretch Tape List No.45552. They have to have the size of the Stoma in order to know exactly which size of Flange that he needs to use. Since my husband was changed to these specific products, he hasn't had any trouble. The skin must be clean and dry before the Skin Prep and Flange is put on though!

I think that it is "possible" that they are using the wrong flange on him. But if by chance that is the correct flange, if you get the Skin Prep.(info. typed above), and first shave the hair from around the Stoma VERY CAREFULLY. Hold a washcloth over the Stoma to prevent the urine from leaking all over. Take a clean damp washcloth and clean all around the Stoma and the surrounding skin to get any of the drainage cleared away. When the area is really clean, just use a piece of paper or something like that and just wave it across the skin to dry it thoroughly before you put a clean Flange around the Stoma. Then open one of the little envelopes of Skin Prep. and just rub it gently on the skin around the Stoma, but NOT ON THE STOMA. Let it set for just a few seconds, keeping the Stoma opening covered to contain the leakage. Open a package containing a clean Flange, and peel the back off of the Flange and place it around the Stoma. Gently smooth the surface of the Flange out onto the skin. It is heat activated so your hand warmth will help it to adhere better. FRAME the Flange with the hypoallergenic tape that I described above. Then you just snap the urine collection bag onto the center of the flange, making sure that you gently push your fingers all around the ring and listen for it to snap into place. One of the most important purchases that you can make are Ostomy/Stoma Belts. You will need 3 of them, so you will have a clean one at all times. You attach the little hook onto each "eye" on the Flange and Bag. Just look at it closely and you will know which two I mean. Just put the belt around the body as if it was a regular belt, but put the hook into the two eyes on either side of the flange/bag to hold ALL OF IT in place. If you make a copy of this message and take it to your pharmacist or Urologist, they will understand the products that I am describing to you. The tape remover will make it less uncomfortable to remove the flange when it needs to be changed. Just lift the edge of the tape and at the same time, use one of the Uni-Solve Adhesive Removers to get the tape to release from the skin much easier and quicker.

Another suggestion for you, Liberty Medical is suppose to be the only place that you can order Ostomy Supplies without paying CASH UPFRONT for all of the supplies. The supplies are VERY expensive as you will find out, and maybe you can order them through that Liberty Medical Supplies. Just a suggestion for you. If I can be of any help, please feel free to ask me anything. Good luck to ALL of you!!!

Sincerely,
    DoubleKnot
  • DoubleKnot
    tomsfan said:

Hello Tomsfan,

Forget that powder adhesive. I am sorry but it isn't worth a dang as you guys have found out. Use the Skin Prep and the special cloth hypoallergenic tape that I listed in my other post. We also found out the hard way. Good luck

Sincerely,
    DoubleKnot