Evista

Options
roxanne53
roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello.

I have read a little on this drug. Has anyone been on it or is on it now? How is it working for you? including the side effects? It seems that side effects are what usually 'bites us in the butt.'

It appears to be a fairly new drug for post menopausal women who are estrogen positive.

Interested in other's story and opinions.

Thank you.
((((HUGS)))))
Roxanne

Comments

• lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I too am interested in hearing from anyone taking Evista. I had taken Tamoxifen for eighteen months and was very unhappy with the many many side effects. I was talking to my GP who I greatly respect. He sugguested I go on Evista which I did for three and a half months. Then I saw my onoc who had a fit, big time, in fact she wrote my GP a letter and chewed him out. Evista is not approved for use in cancer prevention only for the bones and she thought it was worthless there also! In fact she said Tamoxifen was better there also. In any case I went back to the Tamoxifen. I too have read the studies on Evista and was impressed. I had no side effects from the Evista in those three and a half months I was on it, in fact I felt great. Put in a nice garden and by the time it was up and I was back on Tamoxifen it went to weeds. Tamoxifen makes me hurt and makes me tired. I am in to herbs, vitamins and diet if any of you have not already read my far out life style but still afraid of quitting tamoxifen. Interesting studies being done on how effects Vitamin E is with the correct kind and 400 units. Let hear from anyone else who has had Drs say a plus for Evista. I saw where Dr Leo on another websight says three years on Tamoxifen might be as effective as the five, anyone have a in put on that? I sure don't want to take this cancer causing drug for a extra two years with very little benefit, anyone know where the studies are on that statement. Linda
  • roxanne53
    roxanne53 Member Posts: 154
    Options
    lindatn said:

I too am interested in hearing from anyone taking Evista. I had taken Tamoxifen for eighteen months and was very unhappy with the many many side effects. I was talking to my GP who I greatly respect. He sugguested I go on Evista which I did for three and a half months. Then I saw my onoc who had a fit, big time, in fact she wrote my GP a letter and chewed him out. Evista is not approved for use in cancer prevention only for the bones and she thought it was worthless there also! In fact she said Tamoxifen was better there also. In any case I went back to the Tamoxifen. I too have read the studies on Evista and was impressed. I had no side effects from the Evista in those three and a half months I was on it, in fact I felt great. Put in a nice garden and by the time it was up and I was back on Tamoxifen it went to weeds. Tamoxifen makes me hurt and makes me tired. I am in to herbs, vitamins and diet if any of you have not already read my far out life style but still afraid of quitting tamoxifen. Interesting studies being done on how effects Vitamin E is with the correct kind and 400 units. Let hear from anyone else who has had Drs say a plus for Evista. I saw where Dr Leo on another websight says three years on Tamoxifen might be as effective as the five, anyone have a in put on that? I sure don't want to take this cancer causing drug for a extra two years with very little benefit, anyone know where the studies are on that statement. Linda

wow-That was quite the deal you had. Keep us posted.

I was interested because of what I read. My oncologist says that if side effects from Arimidex becomes intolerable he would be able to put me on another drug just as effective. I don't need to change so am leisurely doing some research and trying to keep up with the new stuff for BC.

So I was wondering if this was the one he was thinking about. I did not get the impression from what I read that it was worthless. ??

Arimidex is doing okay for me. I can tolerate the joint discomfort. I also have some arthritis in joints, or that is what we think. Taking me off Arimidex will tell the story, he says.

Thanks for your information.
    Roxanne
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Roxanne, Evista has actually been around for a while now. It's prescribed for osteoporosis and then they discovered it had other advantages. Clinical trials have proven, however, that it's no where near as successful al Arimidex or Femara in terms of protecting estrogen positive postmenopausal women from recurrance. It would be good for women who have never had breast cancer but required a drug for their osteoporosis. In the event they were at risk for developing an estrogen fed breast cancer, the Evista might offer some protection. It does nothing to protect women who are at risk for developing non ER+ breast cancer.
    terri