Did anyone get a port for chemo?

Options
jordans11
jordans11 Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Both onc I saw have suggested that I get port for chemo with AC. They say the choice is mine. I would rather not go through any more surgeries, let alone 2 more *minor* ones. Anyone have experience with this?

ps. thanks to everyones responses to my never ending set of questions...this is just all so new and I appreciate and value everyone's experience.

Comments

• Sandis
    Sandis Member Posts: 85
    Options
    I had a port put in when I had my mastectomy and was really glad I had it put in. The nurses have problems accessing my veins and having the port made it much easier. I got the port out at the doctors office with a local anesthetic and it was no problem. But, everyone is different. If they have no problems drawing blood and accessing your veins it might not be such a problem. Good luck. Sandi
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a port for chemo and wish I did; AC is REAL hard on the veins. A port is so easy, just a little stick, no digging around for veins with lidocaine and a long needle. I got my port 3 years ago for Herceptin and Zometa and am soooo glad I did. Hope this helps.
    hummingbyrd
  • lindatn
    lindatn Member Posts: 229
    Options
    I did not want anything done that might not be necessary so since I had good veins, I was 57 at the time and had the four AC without a port and no problems at all. If I would of had more chemo I would of went for a port but with them doing the chemo every other time in the other arm it worked. I had surgery after the chemo so still had the choice of both arms to use there again if I had to have all four treatments in the one arm not sure if it would of worked. Linda
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had an axillary node dissection with my surgery in February 2003 so that just left me with one good arm for chemo. I thought my 4 AC's would create no problems for me but I was wrong. Although the nurses were always able to hit a vein, the same one needed to be used for 3 of the 4 leaving me with a very painful arm for several months after chemo. IV's since then have had to go into the back of my hand because my most prominent veins actually hardened to the touch. I don't have the best veins to start with so this may be a unique experience. If I'd known it was even a possibility, though, I think I would have considered the port. Best of luck with your chemo.
    terri
  • mc2001
    mc2001 Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Hi Jordan,
    When I underwent treatment for leukemia, I chose to have a port installed in my chest wall. It was a lifesaver! I had two types: The first was a Groshung(sp?) Catheter with three external tubes for access. Later on down the road I had a Medi-Port that was placed beneath the skin. Since the needle has to penetrate skin and it can sting a bit... they have a topical anesthetic to apply about an hour before the doctors access the site.
    -Michael
  • elizagain
    elizagain Member Posts: 43
    Options
    Yes, I did get a port, and am very glad I did. In my case, I was having 12 weekly infusions of Taxol, with bloodwork each time to boot. The idea of being stuck 24 times did not appeal to me, and the port has been extremely easy.
  • lori12946
    lori12946 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Ihad a port put after my first cycle of chemo. It took appx 35 minutes to get a vein that would handle the IV needle. The oncologosts probably wouldn't suggest it if they didn't think that it was a good choice for you. I'm sure they don't want you to have any unnessesary surgery either.I'm glad that I decided to do it. I really is better on your body in the long run. Good luck to you. Lori
  • martyzl
    martyzl Member Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello again!
    I wasn't sure about the port either... mine was "installed" during my mastectomy and reconstructive surgeries. Easy enough. I was *very* glad to have had it as I have rather fine veins and after the lymph node removal I would have only had one arm (or perhaps two legs, in addition) to use. I had the Portacath, I believe it was called, installed subclavicularly, under the skin on my chest, just below my left clavicle. This was all good and fine except that I just couldn't keep the area still enough to heal properly so I have a very wide and rough-looking scar now. I look sooo tough! *grin* Nobody told me that I shouldn't be playing badminton right away!!! *rolling eyes* I know, I should have known better. Too busy living!
    My Plastic Man even revised the scar for me while revising my overly happy TramFlap. To no avail... I ruined it a second time. I'll just live with it now. Of course, it draws some curious looks if I have a fairly open neckline... keeps people guessing. *wink* I have had one person so far who recognized it as a port scar.

The sub-clav. port is fairly protected, so it doesn't seem to get in the way too much- unless perhaps one likes to imitate Celine Dion or Tarzan and hits the chest wall often- my only problem was having a stack of plastic storage dishes falling out of a cupboard and hitting it dead on! Eek!
    Those I've known with the arm port (which seems to be done much more often around here), have had complaints of hitting it or having someone inadvertantly grabbing their arm...

Then comes the removal.. here, our heroine became quite the wimp! I had a fear of hearing this "schloooorrp" sound as the doc pulled it out. I asked to be put under... I had been through enough be that point! Everyone else I know with the upper arm (underside)port had it put in and taken out in office while they were awake. No big deal!

Did they explain why they suggested a port? My understanding is that AC and it's equivalents are very tough on the veins, so the port allows it to be dumped near the heart where there is more blood volume to dilute it.

In all, I'd suggest going with it. It is "minor" and can make things much easier in the long run... if you do get one, be sure to ask for that topical anesthetic to put on the port site an hour beforehand! Why feel the prick if you don't have to?? I never was offered it but my niece was and though it didn't hurt much, it would have been nicer without it...

All my best to you. You will do what is best for you!
    ~marty
  • tulip66
    tulip66 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi there - food for thought...my onc. office will not administer A/C without a port now due to the possibility of permanent damage done to tissue should the A/C leak. Very rarely this happens but a risk and major pain if it does. I had a port (just had it removed last week) and loved it - it was worth the trouble!
  • audnrock
    audnrock Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi, I had a port installed 18 months ago and no problems. It is a simple surgical proceedure and really helps during chemo. It has been a year since my last chemo and no problems with the port. I have it flushed every 30 days. Very important to ask your surgeon questions, because knowledge of the proceedure is vital and comforting. Good Luck and God Bless. Audrey
  • jdubious
    jdubious Member Posts: 113
    Options
    I have a port that was put in when I had my mastectomy, so I don't know how it would be getting a seperate procedure. It is great for chemo and blood draws. It can be left in for years, it just needs to be flushed once in a while. I'm glad I have it - I've always had issues with finding a good vein, and with the port there's no problem (no pain or bruising or bleeding either!)
    jill
  • Glow
    Glow Member Posts: 41
    Options
    OH yes! yes! yes! I have been getting chemo since september 1997 and could not survive without my port. They use it for any necessary venous access including chemo, bloodwork, injection of contrast media for tests such as CAT scans, MRI's etc. The insertion of the port is done on an"out patient basis, takes about 1/2 hour and is essentially painless. When they access the port for chemo or bloodwork it feels a little like a spike going through your chest HOWEVER... there is a cream that you apply about an hour or two before you go to the doctor. You cover the area with plastic wrap and allow the cream to absorb and believe me it is magical...you feel absolutely NOTHING!!! The name of the cream is EMLA CREAM (you need a prescription) it contains Lidocaine and Prilocaine (medication the Dentists use to numb your mouth. I have been on a major campaign to inform patients with ports about this cream. If you have a port....don't leave home without EMLA CREAM. There is also a generic brand. It costs about $12 a tube and lasts forever.
    One other thing about ports....some docs put their patients on low dose blood thinners to keep the port from clotting. As I said mine has been in place since Sept 1997 and I have not had a single problem. The very best of luck to you.
  • emiliasdance
    emiliasdance Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I had a portacath installed the day before my first chemo treatment with AC. Everyone else seems to love it more than I do, but I'm not really unhappy that I have it. It is two extra surgeries, but it can save a lot of pain and hassel in the long run.
  • Mich1417
    Mich1417 Member Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a port because the surgeon said I had the best veins of 95% of her patients. I had no leakage, no problems hitting veins etc. I didn't have any residual arm pain either. The only problems later were the blood draws later in radiation therapy. It was just difficult for them to find a good vein, but they always did. Whichever way you go, I hope all goes well!