Exercise and how to prevent lymphedema

Future
Future Member Posts: 133 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Evening,

Hope everyone had a blessed holiday. I had a right mastectomy with lymph nodes removed about 18 months ago. Starting to work with weights for upper arm strength. I'm using the "life circuit" equipment; you do a "test" and based on that the machine sets the weight limits. Depending on the exercise the weights can vary between 5 and 30 pounds. As I increase weights should I consider using a compression sleeve while I exercise?

Haven't had any problem so far but any advice would be appreciated.

Future

Comments

• wildangel
    wildangel Member Posts: 81
    Dear Future,
    My breast surgeon RECOMENDED light weights to help PREVENT lymphadema. He just warned me to not push it too much - go too heavy too fast - or do anything where the lifting required me to have my arm lower that the rest of my body - that can cause swelling.
    But excercise has been shown to help keep cancer from returning so keep up the good work!

Angela
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Hi Future,
    I have always worked out with weights so I went back immediately after the lymph node surgery. At that time I was not very educated on the risks of lymphodemia. So I set myself to finding the pros and cons of exercising. Most of my research showed different opinions about when to wear a sleeve. I was told by one "expert" to wear a sleeve anytime I lifted (I lift very heavy weights)and I was also told that I should wear a sleeve when I run. In other words, she said to wear a sleeve anytime the blood is really pumping. Several other women have been told the complete opposite. My theory was that I wanted to learn how to PREVENT it. I wanted to continue with my regular workout but I didn't want to damage my arm so I continue to work out with my regular weights, although I have decreased weights for chest press and try to avoid doing any clean and press (heavy weight going up over head). When I have overworked my arm, I can feel it begin to tingle so I elevate it and decrease the weights until it feels better.
    There is a lot of conflicting information on lymphademia. The thing that I could not get across to anybody is, what can I do to prevent it..it was like I was talking in another language. So, I continue to research and ask questions and a year and a half later my arm is still doing OK. I think it is important to know your limits and not overuse it. If you have just begun working out with weights for the first time, then listen to your body and do not overwork your arm. If it makes you feel better, then I certainly think a sleeve cannot hurt. I have only worn my sleeve a couple times, once to fly and the other to run because at that time I could tell that I had overworked it.
    I have lots of other information too if you want to email me, this is a subject that I could go on and on about..LOL
    Hope this helped some.
    Kris
  • littlelindalu
    littlelindalu Member Posts: 25
    Working with the stretch bands used for physical therapy is also a great work-out for your arms. You can see how to use them at websites like Thera-bandacademy.com or at stayingabreast.com (there you will also see info on a wonderful book written by a physical therapist about recovering from breast surgeries that I also highly recommend).

If you want more info on working out with the bands -- which are kinder to your arms than weights, feel free to email me. I have been using them for yrs -- I have lots of arm/shoulder trouble from my reconstruction (post-mastectomy).
  • Dianamac
    Dianamac Member Posts: 1

Working with the stretch bands used for physical therapy is also a great work-out for your arms. You can see how to use them at websites like Thera-bandacademy.com or at stayingabreast.com (there you will also see info on a wonderful book written by a physical therapist about recovering from breast surgeries that I also highly recommend).

If you want more info on working out with the bands -- which are kinder to your arms than weights, feel free to email me. I have been using them for yrs -- I have lots of arm/shoulder trouble from my reconstruction (post-mastectomy).

Yes please!I would like to know more about the stretch bands for exercise - to prevent lymphedma. Have it in my right arm (mild) and have just had another MRM on Left, so want to avoid it if possible. I also had a recon after the last mastectomy (7yrs ago) but haven't had any problems - I had a "TRAM flap". I plan to have another recon after my treatment in 6 mths time. How were your problems with arm/shoulder caused? Dianamac
  • comanref
    comanref Member Posts: 1
    krisrey said:

Hi Future,
    I have always worked out with weights so I went back immediately after the lymph node surgery. At that time I was not very educated on the risks of lymphodemia. So I set myself to finding the pros and cons of exercising. Most of my research showed different opinions about when to wear a sleeve. I was told by one "expert" to wear a sleeve anytime I lifted (I lift very heavy weights)and I was also told that I should wear a sleeve when I run. In other words, she said to wear a sleeve anytime the blood is really pumping. Several other women have been told the complete opposite. My theory was that I wanted to learn how to PREVENT it. I wanted to continue with my regular workout but I didn't want to damage my arm so I continue to work out with my regular weights, although I have decreased weights for chest press and try to avoid doing any clean and press (heavy weight going up over head). When I have overworked my arm, I can feel it begin to tingle so I elevate it and decrease the weights until it feels better.
    There is a lot of conflicting information on lymphademia. The thing that I could not get across to anybody is, what can I do to prevent it..it was like I was talking in another language. So, I continue to research and ask questions and a year and a half later my arm is still doing OK. I think it is important to know your limits and not overuse it. If you have just begun working out with weights for the first time, then listen to your body and do not overwork your arm. If it makes you feel better, then I certainly think a sleeve cannot hurt. I have only worn my sleeve a couple times, once to fly and the other to run because at that time I could tell that I had overworked it.
    I have lots of other information too if you want to email me, this is a subject that I could go on and on about..LOL
    Hope this helped some.
    Kris

Exercise
    Kris
    I too exercise extensively...weights running, biking.
    I am an eleven year survivor and have had 3 or 4 bouts of cellulitis from the lymph build up.
    My doctor tells me to cut back....but admits that the research is limited as to what and how to exercise. I do not have lymphedema that stays....My body is able to recover after the infection and the swelling goes away.
    I would like to know if you do use the sleeve anymore....I have one now. My Dr wants me to use it when I workout...it was a compromise. You see, backing off from what I enjoy doing, working out, is not an option.
    Any information you may have and could share, would be greatly appreciated.