Stage 4 Looking for Hope

Options
AMYMC31
AMYMC31 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My mom has stage 4 breast cancer with mets to lungs. Was on Aramason fro 4 months. Now she is taking a shot once a month. I think it is called Phisodex? If any one can help my father and I, We would really appreciate it. Thank You, Amy

Comments

• wildangel
    wildangel Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi,
    I am so sorry your mom is going through so much. She is so lucky to have such a loving daughter as you.

I want to reassure you that Stage 4 is just a number. There are MANY MANY people LIVING with Stage 4 cancers. There are new protocals coming out everyday. I have known girls with mets to the bones, lungs, and brain and they are STILL WITH US years after that diagnosis.

It is true every one is different. And no two bodies react the same. But please don't despair.

I think the best thing you can do for your mom is to treat her as a woman LIVING WITH the disease and not DYING FROM it.

Cherish every single moment. Live for the joy you experience. Don't dwell in the negative of what has befallen your family, because you have these days now and you need to choose how you want to remember them - choose the joy and the positive. Forget numbers and stats. I like to say that your mom is not a milk carton. She doesn't have an expiration date. So don't let the doctors get you down. Defy the odds and help her LIVE.

Stage 4 IS DOABLE.

May God bless your family.

Angela
  • seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    wildangel said:

Hi,
    I am so sorry your mom is going through so much. She is so lucky to have such a loving daughter as you.

I want to reassure you that Stage 4 is just a number. There are MANY MANY people LIVING with Stage 4 cancers. There are new protocals coming out everyday. I have known girls with mets to the bones, lungs, and brain and they are STILL WITH US years after that diagnosis.

It is true every one is different. And no two bodies react the same. But please don't despair.

I think the best thing you can do for your mom is to treat her as a woman LIVING WITH the disease and not DYING FROM it.

Cherish every single moment. Live for the joy you experience. Don't dwell in the negative of what has befallen your family, because you have these days now and you need to choose how you want to remember them - choose the joy and the positive. Forget numbers and stats. I like to say that your mom is not a milk carton. She doesn't have an expiration date. So don't let the doctors get you down. Defy the odds and help her LIVE.

Stage 4 IS DOABLE.

May God bless your family.

Angela

OMG Angela, that is so beautifully written and no one could have said it better.

I am so sorry for your sorrow and shock that I am sure you and your dad are experiencing. Honey, post here, tell us whatever you want, cuss scream cry and laugh. And, let her do the same. I guess everyone deals with these issues differently. Me, I would want to express what I am feeling and not hold it in, while some others may want to put it out of their minds as much as possible and live like they are not sick. But, whatever she needs, encourage that. I send you lots of love and best wishes...Jan
  • hummingbyrd
    hummingbyrd Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Hope is here my dear! I have been gone for awhile and just happened to pop in tonight to see what was happening. I was diagnosed in 6/2000 and have been stage 4 since 8/2001. If I had listened to the docs I'd a been gone about 2 years ago! Shows what they know...I tell them I have the Greatest Physician of All and they are just one of his associates. LOL Ohhh! I'm so bad! My son says "Mom, you're the only person I know who goes to the hospital and has fun." I tell him, well you gotta get your kicks where you can. Recently I just went to the ER with a broken back from a bone met. I said "I think I have a compression fracture of L1" when they asked me why I was there. What they didn't know was I knew I had a met there in 2001/radiated/and started growing again in 2003. Doc wanted me on chemo but I held out as long as I could. Anyway, ER doc looks at me like yeah right, he gets a CT scan and comes back and hands me a piece of paper with that exact diagnosis on it and says "You were right." I said "Cool, does that mean I get my ER visit free since I guessed the diagnosis?" He just looked at me like what planet are you from? LOL
    So now I am in a back brace and back on chemo again and pleased to say tumor markers are responding nicely. CEA was 465 now 193 and CA27.29 was 249 now 171. Praise the Lord! So don't despair dear, stage 4 is not a death sentence, none of this stuff is, in my opinion unless you let fear get the best of you. Cancer is as individual as the person who has it, it can be treated as a chronic condition, the key is knowledge. Knowledge is power as is knowing your own body and doing what is right for you. Docs don't know everything so don't let them bully you or your mom into doing something that is not right for her. Research and read all that you can and go from there. No one has her best interest at heart as she does or you do. It's hard to be the patient and the caregiver and the practitioner, but in my humble opinion that is what it takes to survive this disease...A LOT OF HARD WORK, but it's worth it to me, I've got two boys to live for and am a single mom. If there is anyway I can help you come find me at www.urcctc.com There is a message board there just leave me a note. I hope this helps you.
    Hebrews 11:1
    Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things unseen.
    God bless.
    hummingbyrd
  • Glow
    Glow Member Posts: 41
    Options

Hope is here my dear! I have been gone for awhile and just happened to pop in tonight to see what was happening. I was diagnosed in 6/2000 and have been stage 4 since 8/2001. If I had listened to the docs I'd a been gone about 2 years ago! Shows what they know...I tell them I have the Greatest Physician of All and they are just one of his associates. LOL Ohhh! I'm so bad! My son says "Mom, you're the only person I know who goes to the hospital and has fun." I tell him, well you gotta get your kicks where you can. Recently I just went to the ER with a broken back from a bone met. I said "I think I have a compression fracture of L1" when they asked me why I was there. What they didn't know was I knew I had a met there in 2001/radiated/and started growing again in 2003. Doc wanted me on chemo but I held out as long as I could. Anyway, ER doc looks at me like yeah right, he gets a CT scan and comes back and hands me a piece of paper with that exact diagnosis on it and says "You were right." I said "Cool, does that mean I get my ER visit free since I guessed the diagnosis?" He just looked at me like what planet are you from? LOL
    So now I am in a back brace and back on chemo again and pleased to say tumor markers are responding nicely. CEA was 465 now 193 and CA27.29 was 249 now 171. Praise the Lord! So don't despair dear, stage 4 is not a death sentence, none of this stuff is, in my opinion unless you let fear get the best of you. Cancer is as individual as the person who has it, it can be treated as a chronic condition, the key is knowledge. Knowledge is power as is knowing your own body and doing what is right for you. Docs don't know everything so don't let them bully you or your mom into doing something that is not right for her. Research and read all that you can and go from there. No one has her best interest at heart as she does or you do. It's hard to be the patient and the caregiver and the practitioner, but in my humble opinion that is what it takes to survive this disease...A LOT OF HARD WORK, but it's worth it to me, I've got two boys to live for and am a single mom. If there is anyway I can help you come find me at www.urcctc.com There is a message board there just leave me a note. I hope this helps you.
    Hebrews 11:1
    Faith is the substance of things hoped for; the evidence of things unseen.
    God bless.
    hummingbyrd

How nice to see you hummingbird!! I too have not been back to this site in a while. Your posts always help me to look at the brighter side ofcancer LOL. I wish you the best.
  • Glow
    Glow Member Posts: 41
    Options
    Hello! I have been stage 4 since Jan 2001 with mets to the bones of my spine, hips, ribs and liver. Hang in there! This is a chronic disease that takes a load of patienceand persistance! Your Mom is oh so lucky to have the support of youand your Dad. The best to all of you.