Taste

jotojultor
jotojultor Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Can anyone tell me how long after the end of treatment for nasopharyngeal cancer does the taste at least resemble what you used to have. I just finished treatment (the chemo part)a little over a month but finished Radiation about3 months ago. My cancer is gone although I just took an MRI and that was clear and now I take a PET Scan. My Doctor assured me that he is very happy with results I did have IMRT radiation which was very beneficial. The thing is my mouth is dry and I cant taste most food the way I used to. I know I must be patient but its so darn frustrating for me and my family too. We have gotten through a lot and are thankful for the outcome but if only I can regain some of my taste back. If anyone is having or has had this experience I would sure appreciate some feedback. Thanks and God Bless all
JRINT@aol.com (Joe)

Comments

• TereB
    TereB Member Posts: 286 Member
    Hi jotojultor, I've had radiation in my head/neck area at least twice that I can remember. It is normal to loose your taste during radiation and it takes about 3/4 months for everything to go back to normal. I'm sorry to say dry mouth stays to some extent. Check with your doctor to see if there was damage to your salivary gland. If dry mouth does not go away, you need work with your dentist, regular cleanings, etc. regularly. Dry mouth is bad for teeth. I think your taste will come back little by little.
    All the best,
    TereB
  • jotojultor
    jotojultor Member Posts: 5
    TereB said:

Hi jotojultor, I've had radiation in my head/neck area at least twice that I can remember. It is normal to loose your taste during radiation and it takes about 3/4 months for everything to go back to normal. I'm sorry to say dry mouth stays to some extent. Check with your doctor to see if there was damage to your salivary gland. If dry mouth does not go away, you need work with your dentist, regular cleanings, etc. regularly. Dry mouth is bad for teeth. I think your taste will come back little by little.
    All the best,
    TereB

Dear TereB

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. your message is very encouraging and means a lot......
    Regards

Joe
  • cindya
    cindya Member Posts: 4
    I had taste come back gradually after 3 - 4 months. The best was when I could drink coffee again. Every week was a new taste experience for me. It took at least 2 - 3 months before I could start tasting things. I still can't eat spicy foods (including ketchup)but that's about the only thing...it has been 5 months or so.

I hope this helps. Cindy
  • lilypiersch
    lilypiersch Member Posts: 3
    cindya said:

I had taste come back gradually after 3 - 4 months. The best was when I could drink coffee again. Every week was a new taste experience for me. It took at least 2 - 3 months before I could start tasting things. I still can't eat spicy foods (including ketchup)but that's about the only thing...it has been 5 months or so.

I hope this helps. Cindy

I am hearing such extreme reactions toward radiation with the neck. Can anyone educate me a little more on what determines whether you will or will not get your taste back? Is it just the luck of the draw? And how was the radiation experience? Thanks for all information...
  • TereB
    TereB Member Posts: 286 Member

I am hearing such extreme reactions toward radiation with the neck. Can anyone educate me a little more on what determines whether you will or will not get your taste back? Is it just the luck of the draw? And how was the radiation experience? Thanks for all information...

Hi, radiation is not easy but it helps with tumors. It is hard in neck and head area. I think what determines if your taste comes back or not is how affected your taste buds are; my taste has always come back after 2-3 months but there have been changes. I can no longer stand hot/spicy food for instance. But then, I've had radiation in that area more than once. Radiation was hard for me the first time; now it doesn't bother me as much perhaps but I've had it several times, different doses.
    TereB