1 Yr. Ago Today...

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
One year ago today, I got the official diagnosis of BC. I remember the kind radiologist calling me to confirm what he'd suspected all along, the very one who had insisted that the biopsy be performed within 24 hours, "even if I have to come in at 6 am tomorrow to get it done." When he called, he never even used the word "cancer," he said... "we have a real problem here... and now we have to get rid of it." My life has never been the same since.

When I think back on this past year, for all of the pain and heartache, I will forever be grateful to the many, kind & caring people who I've met along this journey, like the radiologist. He was most sympathetic, and wanted me to begin treatment immediately, to get the best possible outcome.

I am also for grateful for you wonderful women I've met on this board. You've taken the time to respond to my fears, rants & raves, always responding with kindness. Many times, you gave me some hope when I was overwhelmed with despair. I especially remember dearest Jane, who always had an encouraging word for me.

I am thankful to be alive today. But whatever the future brings, I take comfort in the certain knowledge that I am not alone in this fight. There are angels among us, and you wonderful women are among them.

Thanks to all,

Jaded

Comments

• EllenM6246
    EllenM6246 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I had a similar experience with a radiologist who was so kind and caring. I too was diagnosed 1 year ago and feel like I have been on a whirlwind ever since. I am grateful for all the people on this board, I read it daily...helps keep my sanity. I appreciate your comments and echo them. Ellen
  • sassysally
    sassysally Member Posts: 150
    Options
    Congratulations!!!!! One year down, a million cancer free years to go . Keep up the good fight. The people that come onto this website are phenonminal. Thanks for all you do for us as well. Again Congratulations.

Sassy
  • blkhwkwife
    blkhwkwife Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Well, Jaded...you moved me to tears. I underwent a prophylactic bilateral mastectomy with tram flap reconstruction in May. I am 32. I wanted to save my life...my mother succumbed to breast cancer 2 yrs. ago...my baby sister who just turned 30 is battling the disease for a 2nd time...my aunts and cousins had all been touched by the disease. I feel hope when I read the postings on this web site. I had precancerous calcifications and had been told that a bc diagnosis was a matter of "when" and not "if". It motivated me to act...if I had to get my boobs removed I wanted the choice to be mine and not a choice made because that was the only option. I have regretted that decision more than once since May...but I have to say when I read your story and other courageous women like yourself it moves my soul. Kudos to you in your fight and recovery. I will keep you in my thoughts...be well---------Tara