chemo ECF

muri
muri Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Stomach Cancer #1
Hello,I would like to know if there is anyone that had ECF chemo for stomach cancer and what were the resoults. Did chemo srink the tumor and did it do anything to the lymph nodes. At this time friend of mine has to make the decision whether to take phase one trial or to take ECF chemo. Please let me know and thank you in advence.
Muri

Comments

• bke
    bke Member Posts: 42
    Muri,
    There are a lot of chemo protocols out there, Are ECF initials for the chemo agents? Perhaps if you say a little more . . . Different folk may be familiar with certain chemo agents. My chemotherapy consisted of a combination of Taxol, Cisplatin and 5FU. All three very commonly used for gastric ca.
  • muri
    muri Member Posts: 4
    bke said:

Muri,
    There are a lot of chemo protocols out there, Are ECF initials for the chemo agents? Perhaps if you say a little more . . . Different folk may be familiar with certain chemo agents. My chemotherapy consisted of a combination of Taxol, Cisplatin and 5FU. All three very commonly used for gastric ca.

Bke,
    thank you for your reply. The chemo ECF is Epirubicin,Cisplatin and 5FU (Fluorouracil).The oncologist offered him this chemo last november and told him he might have a few manths to leave or as she put it you will be gone by January ( 2004).He did not take the chemo and went to Germay for treatment. There he had chemo FEM - 5FU,Epirubicin and Mitomycin. It stabilized his cancer but did not shrink the tumor.When back in Canada he went on a clinical trial which did not work. The only option he has now is ECF but he feels that it is a hard chemo and it will not do much for him. It might be that he feels that way because what the oncologist told him a year ago. Was chemo that you were tacking effective against the cancer. As I found out from outside when helping a friend off mine it is so hard to make the right decision or what treatment to take.He will take a holliday and then make the decision what to do next.
    Best regards,
    Muri
  • bke
    bke Member Posts: 42
    muri said:

Bke,
    thank you for your reply. The chemo ECF is Epirubicin,Cisplatin and 5FU (Fluorouracil).The oncologist offered him this chemo last november and told him he might have a few manths to leave or as she put it you will be gone by January ( 2004).He did not take the chemo and went to Germay for treatment. There he had chemo FEM - 5FU,Epirubicin and Mitomycin. It stabilized his cancer but did not shrink the tumor.When back in Canada he went on a clinical trial which did not work. The only option he has now is ECF but he feels that it is a hard chemo and it will not do much for him. It might be that he feels that way because what the oncologist told him a year ago. Was chemo that you were tacking effective against the cancer. As I found out from outside when helping a friend off mine it is so hard to make the right decision or what treatment to take.He will take a holliday and then make the decision what to do next.
    Best regards,
    Muri

The chemo that I had (Taxol, Cisplatin and 5FU) was a challenging course but manageable and worth it. I had surgery with curative intent, then chemo and radiation to mop up any remaining cells. It is hard to measure its uttimate effective since the goal was to clean any potential remaining cells following a successful surgery. For me, no matter how hard the chemo was I wanted to do whatever it took to give myself the best chance for long term success. I finished chemo in March of 03 and remain cancer free. So it all appears to have worked splendedly.
    It is very hard to decide what the best course of action is. I pray the two of you will have peace about whatever decisions you make.
  • sgcatron
    sgcatron Member Posts: 4
    bke said:

The chemo that I had (Taxol, Cisplatin and 5FU) was a challenging course but manageable and worth it. I had surgery with curative intent, then chemo and radiation to mop up any remaining cells. It is hard to measure its uttimate effective since the goal was to clean any potential remaining cells following a successful surgery. For me, no matter how hard the chemo was I wanted to do whatever it took to give myself the best chance for long term success. I finished chemo in March of 03 and remain cancer free. So it all appears to have worked splendedly.
    It is very hard to decide what the best course of action is. I pray the two of you will have peace about whatever decisions you make.

How are you?
    I hope you are still cancer free and doing well. My husband has recently been diagnosed with Linitis Plastica and he's taking chemo right now, with hopes of surgery soon, then chemo/radiation afterwards. I think that's similar to you....but his chemo constists of Xeloda(by mouth), Oxaliplatin and Epirubicin. I'm still wondering if these are the best chemo drugs? Still wondering when is the best time to have surgery? The scans he had at the beginning said the cancer had not spread from the stomach. Thanks for any info.