Relieved

mom62
mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I saw my oncologist today and he said the lump on the inside of my foot was nothing but a ganglion! I was so relieved. I feared it was cancer again. It's been just a year since my B/C diagnosis. I have to say the first six months of surgery and chemo were a breeze compared to the last six months wondering if it's ever going to come back. Does anyone else feel this way? Does the worry ever go away? I can fight something I know about, but the fear of never knowing if it will come back scares the daylights out of me. Thanks for letting me vent.

Terry

Comments

• lajohnso4
    lajohnso4 Member Posts: 31
    I'm so glad you finally went to the doctor and received good news. Everyone that has had breast cancer know that their is a chance of the cancer coming back. As for me I try to put it in the back of my mind and not let it take control of my life. I have some aches and pains, but the doctors have assured me that it is arthritis after numerous tests, bone scans, and x-ray and even MRI and MRA on the brain. The only thing we can do is try to live our lives as we have never lived before. I have found a lot of strength in prayer and I belive that God kept me here for a reason.

You have made it, celebrate.
  • krisrey
    krisrey Member Posts: 194
    Hi Terry,
    WHEW!! Breathing in relief.... I am sure every single women on this board can relate to what you say. My treatment was completed 12/30/03 and what I use to take for granted...yearly GYN and such...now I go into over panic mode. You hit the nail on the head when you said that you can fight something you know about, but the unknown is a big worry and is enough to send me over the edge at times.
    I am looking into taking a stress reduction class being offered at one of our major teaching hospitals here in Mass. At this point I really need to learn how to focus my energy and not worry about the things that I cannot control, this is hard when you are a control freak..LOL
    Kris
  • bunnie
    bunnie Member Posts: 233
    glad to hear it was noithing.i dont know if the fear of it coming back every goes away or not becasse mine haasnt mine just seems to keep spreading.Hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones though and never get cancer again in your life.best of luck too you Bunnie
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    krisrey said:

Hi Terry,
    WHEW!! Breathing in relief.... I am sure every single women on this board can relate to what you say. My treatment was completed 12/30/03 and what I use to take for granted...yearly GYN and such...now I go into over panic mode. You hit the nail on the head when you said that you can fight something you know about, but the unknown is a big worry and is enough to send me over the edge at times.
    I am looking into taking a stress reduction class being offered at one of our major teaching hospitals here in Mass. At this point I really need to learn how to focus my energy and not worry about the things that I cannot control, this is hard when you are a control freak..LOL
    Kris

Thanks for all your replies. You are all the best. Bunnie, I pray for you all the time and hope you get well. Kris, what hospital is that class at? I live in MA too. Thanks!

Terry
  • billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    krisrey said:

Hi Terry,
    Kris

Kris
    I took a stress reduction class a couple of years ago (I'm a 4 yr b/c survivor). It helped me a lot with coping with everyday events. Not only did it help me to live more in the moment, it also helped to relieve some shoulder/neck/arm pain I had had since the surgeries. I think it's well worth it. It also keeps you learning about yourself. The class I took was fashioned around the teachings of Jon Kabit-Zin (I don't think I'm spelling it correctly). I'm on the West coast, but it's from the teaching hospitals on the East coast and was designed to help patients cope with pain -- pain that they may always have.

It was a great class.

Patty.
  • krisrey
    mom62 said:

Thanks for all your replies. You are all the best. Bunnie, I pray for you all the time and hope you get well. Kris, what hospital is that class at? I live in MA too. Thanks!

Terry

Hi Terry,
    Its called the Stress Reduction Program. Its offered at UMass Med Center in Worcester...cost is $600, although they do have a sliding scale and I have even heard that if you are needy you may be able to get it for free. Here is the link
    www.umassmed.edu/cfm
    Where in Mass are you from Terry? Here is my email kristen8594@aol.com if you would like to email me..
    Kris
  • krisrey

Kris
    I took a stress reduction class a couple of years ago (I'm a 4 yr b/c survivor). It helped me a lot with coping with everyday events. Not only did it help me to live more in the moment, it also helped to relieve some shoulder/neck/arm pain I had had since the surgeries. I think it's well worth it. It also keeps you learning about yourself. The class I took was fashioned around the teachings of Jon Kabit-Zin (I don't think I'm spelling it correctly). I'm on the West coast, but it's from the teaching hospitals on the East coast and was designed to help patients cope with pain -- pain that they may always have.

It was a great class.

Patty.

Hi Patty,
    That is the same one, I just looked and you have the name correct. Did you find it beneficial? I responded to terry on the above post and added a link. Let me know what you thought of the classes.
    Thanks
    Kris
  • billandpatty
    billandpatty Member Posts: 86
    krisrey said:

Hi Patty,
    That is the same one, I just looked and you have the name correct. Did you find it beneficial? I responded to terry on the above post and added a link. Let me know what you thought of the classes.
    Thanks
    Kris

Kris:
    Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. I don't always get back to this site right away.

Anyway, your question about the stress reduction class that I took. Yes, I did find it very beneficial for me. Not only have I dealt with cancer twice in the last 4 years, I and my husband have aging parents (which I think is more stressful at times than the cancer!). So it has helped me a lot. When I am feeling overwhelmed, I do stop and take in the moment and I try to do the exercises that were suggested in the class. I do find it helps and it gets me past and through some anxious times. You may have read on this site that my daughter was just married -- the lessons I learned in the stress reduction class helped me to enjoy the day and take in each moment as best I could. Now, I just need to get better at doing the exercises even when I'm not feeling anxious and bring it into my daily life.

Good luck.

Patty