reply from chemo and rads

Options
KarenKL
KarenKL Member Posts: 42
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I seen the Oncologist and I got some good news. I will only need Chemo. I start Nov. 1st. for 12 weeks. He explained to me that I won't need radiation because the mastectomy removed all the possible tissue for cancer. One out of four lymph nodes in the breast came back positive, so he only recommended chemo. I also found out I am at a grade 3. I don't know how bad it is, but he did say it was high, my tumor was at 1cm which he said was a good size, and my age all played a factor in his outcome. So knowing I would lose my hair I went to a survivor shop here in Toledo, and liked it. The lady herself is a survivor, and after talking to her and seeing what her shop has I was pleased. Anyone interested in looking at her site to see what she has it is
www.rsurvivorshop.com Also I would like to thank all of you for your replies on my first post about chemo and rad. I hope I do as well as some of you did on chemo.
I won't be taking any meds. though as my cancer wasn't being fed off hormones or anything else. My oncologist did mention an experiemental drug, but he has to run tests with my tumor to see if it would have any effect.
Again thank you.
Karen

Comments

• seeknpeace
    seeknpeace Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Hi Karen,

Congrats on your good news about the radiation. I know that you were relieved. My cancer was also grade three and that is an aggressive cancer. I had extensive necrosis also, meaning it was dying because it could get enough blood. Ready to spread.

One thing that I am wondering from everyone. I had dcis, right? But, the size of mine was 2.5 cm. How is that possible and still be contained in the duct?

Jan
  • chessie
    chessie Member Posts: 40
    Options

Hi Karen,

Congrats on your good news about the radiation. I know that you were relieved. My cancer was also grade three and that is an aggressive cancer. I had extensive necrosis also, meaning it was dying because it could get enough blood. Ready to spread.

One thing that I am wondering from everyone. I had dcis, right? But, the size of mine was 2.5 cm. How is that possible and still be contained in the duct?

Jan

Do you mean Invasive Ductal Cell Carcinoma? That is what I had (Mastectomy 12/03,6 pos. nodes, chemo a/c & Taxol, Rads)..Karen, I am surprised that your onco said you didn't need rads if you had a positive lymph node..I'm glad if you don't need rads but,I would ask him why not. Are you at risk for local recurrence?
  • wildangel
    wildangel Member Posts: 81
    Options
    Hi Karen,
    I had a 1.3 Cm tumor, grade 3, highly aggressive, ER/PR- and no nodes. I did chemo and rads. But I had a lumpectomy. I am glad you feel good about your decision!!!
    I also think that it is SO COOL that they can now test chemo on the TUMOR and not on YOU. Whoever invented that idea is a saint.

I AM REALLY CURIOUS!! What is this new experimental drug? Is it especially made for er/pr- girls???? I would love to hear that WE are getting one!

About your rads, I was a little surprised you didn't have to get them with a positive node. Unless the node was in the breast that they removed? I know girls who have had a positive node and have had to have their armpit radiated because that was where the node was.

Congratulations on finding a great place to get things to make you feel and look good while going through the chemo. I think you will breeze right through it!

If you remember the name of the new drug can you please let us know?

Good luck,
    Love,
    Angela
  • susanlouise
    susanlouise Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Karen, I too had 4.2 cm tumor 6 positive lymphnodes, I am on 3rd chemo out of 8 and then 7 weeks of radiation following. I have been told that the chemo is for any cancer cells that got out whether it was one node or 1000 my oncologist said it doesn't matter if I wanted a higher chance of survival. Radiation is for the specific area where the cancer was. I wish you much lluck and like you, answers to some questions are scary. I have suffered so much from the moment that they said cancer. So now I look at it as information is the best thing I can do for myself. To this day I have not looked at myself in the mirror since I went bald. Take each day as it comes, my side effects so far have been just real bad acid in my stomach from the chemo the doctors do have medications for any of your side effects all you have to do is ask they want to help you.
    Susan
  • inkblot
    inkblot Member Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hi Karen:

Good news for you and I know you're relieved not to need the rads! You'll get through the chemo and your hair WILL grow back. Not like it's permanent so keep that in mind when you think about it.

Best wishes.

Love, light and laughter,
    Ink
  • KarenKL
    KarenKL Member Posts: 42
    Options
    wildangel said:

Hi Karen,
    I had a 1.3 Cm tumor, grade 3, highly aggressive, ER/PR- and no nodes. I did chemo and rads. But I had a lumpectomy. I am glad you feel good about your decision!!!
    I also think that it is SO COOL that they can now test chemo on the TUMOR and not on YOU. Whoever invented that idea is a saint.

I AM REALLY CURIOUS!! What is this new experimental drug? Is it especially made for er/pr- girls???? I would love to hear that WE are getting one!

About your rads, I was a little surprised you didn't have to get them with a positive node. Unless the node was in the breast that they removed? I know girls who have had a positive node and have had to have their armpit radiated because that was where the node was.

Congratulations on finding a great place to get things to make you feel and look good while going through the chemo. I think you will breeze right through it!

If you remember the name of the new drug can you please let us know?

Good luck,
    Love,
    Angela

I don't believe he mentioned the name of the drug. He said it wasn't for everyone and that if I was accepted I would fall into 1 of 3 groups. Meaning some get it for a year, some get it for 6 months and some get it after chemo and rad. Yeah as far as I remember he didn't mention the name of it. Sorry. But if I hear anything new I will be sure to pass it on.
    And the node that was taken out was in the breast. The ones in the armpit were neg. that's why the Oncologist said I don't need rad.
  • No underarm nodes involved is GREAT news! We're all cheering for you!
    Clara