What do silicone implants feel like?

Options
eshuk
eshuk Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello.

I would like to hear from women who have had reconstruction with silicone implants. When you live, day to day, what do your new breast(s) feel like? How much do you feel the implant(s)? What is the sensory experience of having silicone implants? I know this may be a difficult question to answer, but if you could share any thoughts about what the experience of having silicone implants is like, i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you so much,
Elyse

Comments

• KarenKL
    KarenKL Member Posts: 42
    Options
    I can't really answer, but I am going to have saline implants done. I did some research and found saline is the safest way to go. For leaks anyway. I do have a friend that did silicone for personal gain and they look fine. No-one can tell their not real. Do some research first before you decide. Webmd.com or any implant site. The gov. even has a site. I forgot the name though. Good luck.
  • lynne40
    lynne40 Member Posts: 87
    Options
    Can't talk about silicone but I have saline and did before my cancer. My sister had a mastectomy on one side and had a silicone done 10 years ago, she is and was very happy with it and says after ten years she hardly ever even thinks about which one is "real" anymore. Hope this helps you Good luck,
    Lynne
  • Hi Elsye,
    Hope you are still looking for a response. Let me know if you see this. I have a silicone implant on both sides. One on the mascectomy side and one to "boost" the other side and make me even. My PS assurred me that it is as safe as saline. Current research has established that. he did say and eruption would be more difficult to deal with from a surgical perspective - but not dangerous to me. ANyway, it is reasonably soft on masectomy side, firmer than other, but only a little. I still wear a bra - but might not really need to. I have limited "feeling" on masec. side, but can feel touch. Augmented side has pretty normal feeling - did take a bit to heal at first because my nipple was moved up but it's fine now. I really don't think of my breasts much anymore. At first I had to get used to being a slightly larger size, but now I enjoy it. Look better in swim suits than ever before! I am very glad I chose to do the surgery. It's a process that takes some time , but for me a had good success. Ask away any other questions, I'll try to check back soon.
    Carla
  • southwest
    southwest Member Posts: 2
    Options
    unknown said:

Hi Elsye,
    Hope you are still looking for a response. Let me know if you see this. I have a silicone implant on both sides. One on the mascectomy side and one to "boost" the other side and make me even. My PS assurred me that it is as safe as saline. Current research has established that. he did say and eruption would be more difficult to deal with from a surgical perspective - but not dangerous to me. ANyway, it is reasonably soft on masectomy side, firmer than other, but only a little. I still wear a bra - but might not really need to. I have limited "feeling" on masec. side, but can feel touch. Augmented side has pretty normal feeling - did take a bit to heal at first because my nipple was moved up but it's fine now. I really don't think of my breasts much anymore. At first I had to get used to being a slightly larger size, but now I enjoy it. Look better in swim suits than ever before! I am very glad I chose to do the surgery. It's a process that takes some time , but for me a had good success. Ask away any other questions, I'll try to check back soon.
    Carla

I am a 59 year old female just biopsied for calcification clusters x2 in a breast that had breast cancer 3 years ago and was treated with lumpectomy, radiation and chemo. The surgeon says if this is hyperplasia or a recurrance I should consider bilateral mastectomies. I'm trying to decide if i want implants or a tram. Help!