This is really wierd!

Options
Unknown
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have osteoporosis in my neck - it's pretty bad, is now affecting my arms and hand, and I am also shrinking. Anyway my doc wanted to do an MRI and I told her that the staples to mark radiation are still in there. (I didn't have radiation after bc surgery) She said that she can't do the MRI, too much danger of the staples moving around in there. Has this happened to any of you? I found out about the staples when I had my 5 year MRI, and they didn't say anything about the problem, just mentioned it in passing.
Is this a big problem or is it just one of those little goodies we have to live with?
Thanks,
Clara

Comments

• jamjar62
    jamjar62 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Clara,

I don't have the answer to your problem. However, I will tell you that I had an MRI of my right shoulder after my lumpectomy which was on the left side. I know there are surgery staples in there because I have seen them on my mammograms.

Rather than taking it from your doctor, call the MRI place and ask them.

Blessings,
    Karen
  • epgnyc
    epgnyc Member Posts: 137
    Options
    I know that I still have my surgery staples. I found out when I went to see the radiation oncologist to begin radiation. He said he was glad to see that my surgeon left the staples in (not all surgeons do). He said at their hospital they like to send staples to all the breast surgeons as Christmas presents to remind them to use them....he had a great sense of humor! He explained the staples are helpful for radiation in precisely locating the tumor and surgery sites. He said the staples can also be useful for those reasons many years down the line. That being said, I don't know how they relate to MRI's. I also suffer from osteo-arthitis in my neck and last year the pain got so severe and unrelenting my regular oncologist wanted me to have an MRI to count out bone mets. Luckily it wasn't bone mets, just loss of bone! The people who did my MRI never even mentioned the staples. I'd call and ask your breast surgeon whether this is a problem for future MRI's, etc. Good luck.
  • jamjar62 said:

Clara,

I don't have the answer to your problem. However, I will tell you that I had an MRI of my right shoulder after my lumpectomy which was on the left side. I know there are surgery staples in there because I have seen them on my mammograms.

Rather than taking it from your doctor, call the MRI place and ask them.

Blessings,
    Karen

Karen, that's a great idea - don't know why I didn't think of it. Am going to call the radiologist on Monday.
    Thanks
    Clara