GYNO or SURGEON ?

Options
JulieC
JulieC Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am getting ready to call & reschedule my appointment to insist upon a biopsy. for those of you who dont know my story..very briefly, I was basically told by the surgeon (after a diagnostic mamo & sonogram) that my lump is probably normal & no need to biopsy. that was 5/6 months ago & the lump is still there! I know now how stupid it was of me not to insist upon a biopsy at that time but I trusted what surgeon said. after hearing from several of you here on this site & reading stories I've realized that there is no way surgeon could be sure without a biopsy. therefore I am going to reschedule & insist upon one. my question to you guys is...do I go back to my gynocologist & ask her to send me to a different surgeon? or do I go back to same surgeon & have him to the biopsy? straight to surgeon seems more logical but the way he was so cavalier last time kind of worries me especially w/my family history. I appreciate & respect your opinions so I am anxiously awaiting your response! thanks, Julie

Comments

• I think I'd go for a different surgeon, that one doesn't sound like one you can trust. YOU'RE the one who has to live with the results, NOT him!
    Clara
  • chessie
    chessie Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I'd go to a new surgeon, preferably one who specializes in breast oncology surgery. It may be just a cyst, but why not be safe..and sure.
  • JulieC
    Options
    chessie said:

I'd go to a new surgeon, preferably one who specializes in breast oncology surgery. It may be just a cyst, but why not be safe..and sure.

even if it will take possible 2-3 more months to see a new surgeon??
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    JulieC said:

even if it will take possible 2-3 more months to see a new surgeon??

Julie, My surgeon didn't do the biopsies. Perhaps mine was a unique situation but the radiologist who supervised my mammogram then followed it with an ultrasound to both breasts, performed core biopsies the very next day. My gynecologist arranged for this. I didn't see the surgeon till all testing was complete and pathology confirmed what we were dealing with. Ask yourself if you'd be comfortable putting your life in this surgeon's hands. If the answer is no, see your gynecologist to discuss referral to another surgeon. That referral should get you an appointment in considerable less time than 2-3 months. If you're comfortable with the surgeon, see him again and explain that the biopsy would give you peace of mind. Good luck.
    terri
  • bunnie
    bunnie Member Posts: 233
    Options
    Hi i agree with everyone else see a new surgon becase if you dont i think no matter what results he gives you that you will be second guessing him all the way and wonder if he is being up front with you.Good luck Bunnie
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Julie,

Please run don't walk to your next appointment. If you have an HMO tell your primary care physician you want a referral to a new surgeon and that you want a biopsy immediately due to the fact the lump is still there, and I believe at one time you said you thought it was getting bigger. You need to put mind over matter and take care of this now. If it's nothing, wonderful, but if it's something you need to start treatment as soon as possible. I didn't want to believe something was wrong with me either and I put it off for about 3/4 months and ended up having stage III breast cancer. There is no way you should have to wait that long for a surgeon for a biopsy (I had a surgeon do mine).
    Sorry if I seem harsh but you seem to keep putting this off. Trust me it's the not knowing that drives you crazy.

With great respect.
    Terry
  • JulieC
    Options
    mom62 said:

Julie,

Please run don't walk to your next appointment. If you have an HMO tell your primary care physician you want a referral to a new surgeon and that you want a biopsy immediately due to the fact the lump is still there, and I believe at one time you said you thought it was getting bigger. You need to put mind over matter and take care of this now. If it's nothing, wonderful, but if it's something you need to start treatment as soon as possible. I didn't want to believe something was wrong with me either and I put it off for about 3/4 months and ended up having stage III breast cancer. There is no way you should have to wait that long for a surgeon for a biopsy (I had a surgeon do mine).
    Sorry if I seem harsh but you seem to keep putting this off. Trust me it's the not knowing that drives you crazy.

With great respect.
    Terry

Terry, Your right, I am putting this off....listen, I have a appt. w/my GP today about this horrible pain & numbness in my hip (almost fell down in the book store a few days ago when my leg when totally numb...scared the sh.. out of me!!) anyway..thats beside the point...I'm see my doc about that today..do you think he could give me a referral to a surgeon so I can just by-pass the gyno all together??!!
    Thanks for caring, Julie
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    JulieC said:

Terry, Your right, I am putting this off....listen, I have a appt. w/my GP today about this horrible pain & numbness in my hip (almost fell down in the book store a few days ago when my leg when totally numb...scared the sh.. out of me!!) anyway..thats beside the point...I'm see my doc about that today..do you think he could give me a referral to a surgeon so I can just by-pass the gyno all together??!!
    Thanks for caring, Julie

Julie,

Yes, my PC actually sent me to the surgeon for the biopsy after my mammogram. You should not have to see your gyno for that, your PC should be able to give you the referral. Good luck and keep me posted.

Terry